DX VF-171EX from Macross Frontier

charger69

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
52 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

You can get sealed ones for ¥33,000 at Mandarake.

well since is an Item A and Box B category is actually a sealed box ;) , most of the time the B category for the box it means just maybe a small dent on a corner, overall is a MISB category. 

If wasn't this pricey I would get it right away, last time I got and item in this category for this price(a bit more actually ) was for Chronos and damn! that was a huge wallet killer at the time. :vava: 

But I'm happy that I got my  Chronos brand new :D  

Edited by Alex GS

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, borgified said:

DX VF-171EX Maruyama for 31k yen at Manda Sahra (4 units).

Take a gander if interested. ;)

If I hadn't just dumped $400 on DX VF-1As...

Some day I want a Maruyama, but it'll have to wait for a hole in the release schedule.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

So my RVF-171EX Luca has officially bitten the dust; triangles and leg disintegration at the joints took Its toll. Its bittersweet; considering I got 3-4 years out it- but my team of three is down to two; overall, I cant really complain. I stripped what good parts were left and added them to my Alto. My Mauryama is still good. Ill have an extra armored parts set now to sell.

Edited by blackconvoy_D01

8 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Didn't know the other non-171Cf versions had that problem.

It started at the left leg at the knee joint. Then the triangles a few weeks ago, yesterday was the right leg at the knee and it was done. It may have only been this one specifically; I had a Luca before that didn't have issues.

1 hour ago, derex3592 said:

Yeh, that's odd, I thought the Luca was believed to be rock solid release, if you were into the 171's. Hopefully it was just that one. 

The triangles were always sketchy, but the knee design itself is a powderkeg waiting to explode, and the incorrect transformation directions Bandai provided are like a sparking wire.

Bandai doesn't write directions for both the forward and backward transformation sequences, and that is crucial, because the legs do not work the same in both directions.  I've mentioned it before in various places here, and in other topics, but the upshot is that you cannot rotate the lower legs with the knees bent, despite the instructions showing it.

7 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

They're one of my favorite fighter modes, but the transformation does just suck.

The transformation isn't honestly that bad, Bandai just overcomplicated it beyond all reason.  The Yamato VF-17 uses almost all the same mechanisms, but somehow works just fine.  They just felt the need to include that stupid rotation interlock in the leg, when all they had to do was make a stiff rotation joint... :rolleyes: 

I didn't find the 262 extremely aggravating, just complex and involved, but I don't remember wanting to fling it into a wall like the 171's.  If I got confused or didn't understand a step, I just take a break, go back and finish later. A lot of great transformation videos out there, which I ALWAYS watch alongside doing complex transformations. 

3 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

The transformation isn't honestly that bad, Bandai just overcomplicated it beyond all reason.  The Yamato VF-17 uses almost all the same mechanisms, but somehow works just fine.  They just felt the need to include that stupid rotation interlock in the leg, when all they had to do was make a stiff rotation joint... :rolleyes: 

My issue is actually the arms, those rotation joints are super stiff, and transforming to fighter and getting them locked in required the arms to be positioned just so.

There was quite a lot of grumbling about the transformation when the 171 and 262 came out. 

The 171 is "why do something in one step when we could do three?"

I transformed one of my 262s to battroid, put the sword and shield on, and left it as is. A friend told me he somehow managed to snap the thumb off trying to put it back into fighter. Or was that someone on here? I can't remember much from the distant past of... 2017? Oh crap, it's been three years? :wacko:

5 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Would you say the 171 or 262 is the worse transformation?

That's really kind of a toss-up.  They're both over-complicated messes that could have been made far simpler, but I'm going to call the 262 the better of the two, simply based on the fact that neither of my 262s has exploded into plastic shards because I followed Bandai's directions.

For as fragile as the 262 looks, I haven't heard any stories of that messy multi-hinge wing mechanism breaking.  In fact, I almost feel like the complex nature might be a benefit, because it leads you to treat it more carefully.  In contrast to that, the 171's hidden leg mechanism is the opposite, and between that over-engineering and the faulty instructions, it's a ticking bomb.

Edited by Chronocidal

9 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Yeh, that's odd, I thought the Luca was believed to be rock solid release, if you were into the 171's. Hopefully it was just that one. 

My first Luca was very solid. Had it for two years and no issues.

6 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

They're one of my favorite fighter modes, but the transformation does just suck.

I always saw 171EX uniformally as the VF-1's and collected them because I wanted that DYRL look in a more modern fighter design.

6 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Ohh I believe you. After transforming my Alto once or twice, the whole enchilada just wasn't fun for me like AT ALL.  <_< Don't regret selling my two 171's off. I did love the look of them in fighter mode though.

I may sell my remaining ones and just get VF-1's like I should have an call it. I dunno. It's got me kinda down on collecting overall. There always some issue at these $175+ price points that make me question their value and time invested. 

4 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Would you say the 171 or 262 is the worse transformation?

Ditto. The 171 is a hot mess of exploding triangles! I got rid of all my 171’s because of that reason.  262 is complicated to transform but nothing breaks apart in doing so.  Just be careful of the gold trim scratching off.

• 4 weeks later...