To be fair even after six months he was a changed man. People actually liked him and didn't just hang around him to see what he'd get up to. But agreed it took him a few years to really get down to it.

IMO : The only things wrong with ST:III were, Savik being played by a different actress, and Chekov's terrible wardrobe. Other than those things, that movie is win. Stealing the enterprise scene is one of my favorite out all of Star Trek.

The 2009 reboot was promising, but seemed off to me. The new one had it's moments, but overall I cannot recommend it.

Here's a great review by Red Letter Media.

Great, going to watch it. Ty. :)

Edited by Macross007

A 45 minute review? Reminds me of English class, where you're supposed to write a 4-page analysis of a 6-page short story...

I know right? For that amount of time I'd rather go see the movie myself and form my own opinion...

They focused on various aspects of the movie and took the time to discuss them between three different people. In that context 45 minutes wouldn't be much different from sitting around talking about a movie with your friends.

A 45 minute review? Reminds me of English class, where you're supposed to write a 4-page analysis of a 6-page short story...

Yeah.. being smart and thinking about stuff. Sucks!

Edited by Gakken85

I saw ST: Into Darkness and I loved it but I have a few critiques. When will the writers let Kirk break out be the captain he is meant to be? I don't have an issue with Chris Pine's acting; I have a problem with the writing especially as it pertains to young Jim Kirk. I mean he's the young Kirk a little wet behind the ears, I get that but Kirk was a genius level guy who taught classes at Star Fleet Academy. Kirk had schemes upon schemes in the old tv series and could get the Enterprise out of jam every week. They're doing Kirk as the hot head that jumps before he looks but Kirk could do that but he had a plan to get them out of the situation. He didn't believe in the "No Win Scenerio". In some ways he was smarter than Spock; not X & O's smart. Sometimes Pine just looked so clueless; he reacted more than acted..

When are we going to see the Kirk that actually beats up people?

Edited by terry the lone wolf

I saw ST: Into Darkness and I loved it but I have a few critiques. When will the writers let Kirk break out be the captain he is meant to be? I don't have an issue with Chris Pine's acting; I have a problem with the writing especially as it pertains to young Jim Kirk.

The Kirk you know is not the Kirk of the reboot. That Kirk died along with his father.

Too bad, he's a hell of a lot more interesting...

Debatable at best. That Kirk was older and had more experience under his belt.

On the plus side for the next ST movie is that it will have a new director (and writers I presume, the other ones seemed to be JJ's crew as well) - whoever gets the nod will give us a good idea of what the next film will be like (unless the director is an unknown of course)

If lindelof is anywhere near star wars, i'm just not even gonna bother with it...and I am a huge SW fan.

You mean you don't want to see a hole blown on the side of of the Millennium Falcon and then watch people fly out of it? They should just call that shot The Lindelof.

You mean you don't want to see a hole blown on the side of of the Millennium Falcon and then watch people fly out of it? They should just call that shot The Lindelof.

darn, in that case I'm not paying to see it at all. <_<

Am I right to assume all of the red shirts introduced on screen in this movie survived (Chekov and those two guys who were told not to wear the shirts for the away team mission to Kronos)?

Did those two survive? I didn't see them after the battle with the Klingons...

Everyone here should know that is a YAMATO tradition and JJ stole it.

i've been mulling this over the pas few days, about the end plot for STID. What if Khan was the one who sacrifices himself in the warp core?

Ok, everything happens in STID up to the bridge invasion of the Vengence, but all the betrayal by Khan didnt happen? Marcus maintains the upperhand in the attack, Khan holds Carol hostage instead. Marcus aranges the beaming of the 72 Pseudo-Torpedoes over to Vengence then beams Kirk, Scotty Khan & Carol back over the Ent (with regret). Marcus gloats of course (says some throwaway line like 'I still have your brother, Carol'...), the Torps goes off in the Vengence (Khan screams in rage until he is told His Crew is still safe) and events occur as normal in STID... save that is it Khan that goes into the chamber to fix the warp core.

though i cant think how or who is suitable for the SF chase scenes or if marcus would willing ram the Vengence in SF proper.... maybe Marcus could be a Klingon (or like Khan), like the one dude from 'Trouble with Tribbles'? They actually did a good paperback story about that guy a couple years ago...

anyway, it works in my mind i guess (your own milage will vary)

Edited by TehPW

i've been mulling this over the pas few days, about the end plot for STID. What if Khan was the one who sacrifices himself in the warp core?

Ok, everything happens in STID up to the bridge invasion of the Vengence, but all the betrayal by Khan didnt happen? Marcus maintains the upperhand in the attack, Khan holds Carol hostage instead. Marcus aranges the beaming of the 72 Pseudo-Torpedoes over to Vengence then beams Kirk, Scotty Khan & Carol back over the Ent (with regret). Marcus gloats of course (says some throwaway line like 'I still have your brother, Carol'...), the Torps goes off in the Vengence (Khan screams in rage until he is told His Crew is still safe) and events occur as normal in STID... save that is it Khan that goes into the chamber to fix the warp core.

though i cant think how or who is suitable for the SF chase scenes or if marcus would willing ram the Vengence in SF proper.... maybe Marcus could be a Klingon (or like Khan), like the one dude from 'Trouble with Tribbles'? They actually did a good paperback story about that guy a couple years ago...

anyway, it works in my mind i guess (your own milage will vary)

I like that, similar to what I said.

Finally had the time to catch this film. Best bit beside seeing BBC's Sherlock beating guys up was the new Spock failing to put enough 'Shatner overact' into his own version of 'KHAAAAAAAANNN!" At least it show's the writers were genre savvy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Picked up the 3D bluray and Walmart special edition with the little USS Vengeance toy today.

As did I, considering I haven't seen or heard of any toys for that ship yet.

I saw this in Target today. I guess it's time for me to find someone with it. I told myself I wouldn't pay to see it. But I do want to see it. Give my opinion to the Net. Etc.

It's just a movie man, it won't kill you to try and watch it.

Amazon delivered mine yesterday. I can't find my 3D glasses so I'll look for them again tomorrow and maybe watch it while the kids are in school.

I still haven't unpacked everything from a move two months ago.

Well, in your case you're sorting out much more than just a bunch of boxes. Hang in there.

I thought the Kirk threesome with two cat girls was a bit much, but at least Pike still had it much better than in the original series.

I'm not a fan of the forced raunchiness/borderline toilet humor but it's 'Trek for the Instagram/Facebook generation we're talking about...