I have no problems with imax 3d. The picture looks great. The 3D effect doesn't seem that strong though. Perhaps all the ones I have seen werent filmed in 3D and just 2D converted.

Imax just opened by me in Dec. so far saw

Hansel and gretel

Iron man

Star trek

jurassic park

oblivion (not 3D)

If a movie is in Imax I wont see it in a regular theatre.

I finally was able to see this yesterday. It had the potential to be the best movie except it aped the current best one in all the wrong ways IMO and was the victim of being rushed in spots.

This is all completely stream of thought, rambling.

Khan himself was a Deus Ex Machina all around. Magic blood, designer of all advanced weaponry, etc... In the original series they never touched upon the fact, being an augmented human, that he wouldn't have significant healing abilities and in turn it couldn't be used to help other humans. Though since he was a product of the Eugenics wars that line of thinking may very well have been considered illegal.

So they touched on Section 31 already, nod to DS9, and that's fine. Using Khan as a designer is also accurate to the older Section 31 stories as they used people eugenically (illegally in the case of DS9) engineered, typically radically unstable (except for Bashir), as a think-tank. Having him come up with every single different type of technology ever is pretty stupid though.

I'm not sure if everything in this universe is closer together but I can't really complain from getting from Kronos to Earth in two minutes because every writer for Star Trek before this has said warp speed moves "at the speed of plot." Still a tad fast in this movie instance.

I still don't have a problem with how engineering looks.

Yes, the final battle makes no sense as there were masses of ships around Earth when the Enterprise was leaving and suddenly it's completely devoid although there's a massive, unknown ship firing off some ridiculously over-powered weaponry. There could have at least been some other smaller vessels caught in the cross-fire.

It was nice to see Scotty pulling a Star Trek 3 and sabotaging another Star Fleet vessel. He also should have been caught/blown to bits long before entering that space dock they were keeping the Vengeance. Black Ops projects tend to watch their backs. At least in ST3 he was assigned to the Excelsior so it made sense he was there and could sabotage it... plus it was his warp core design.

The scene where Bone's is using the Tribble for experiments was crammed in just to show he could discover what Kahn's blood does. That scene should have been worked in elsewhere earlier but I suspect they couldn't figure out a way how.

The scene with Alice Eve in her underwear was added in purely to show her almost naked. It would have made more sense for Bone's to have seen her considering he was down on the planet's surface with Carol the next scene, and his attempts at flirting about his "magic hands." The whole flow of those two scenes made no sense. Likewise, Kirk with the cat ladies was completely unnecessary and should have been cut. The only redeeming thing about that scene was the Fatboy Slim remix of Body Movin'.

I think they logically set up a sequence of events that would lead to Carol Marcus actually creating the Genesis Device. She's already a weapons expert, she's been exposed to the possibility of rapid regeneration (from seeing what Khan's blood could do), her dad want of the deep end militarily and she's been witness to what weaponizing the Federation can do. I'll bet there's some warring with the Klingon's in the next film which may push her even farther, especially if they work in the razing of a planet or she gets to know Spoke better and learns to understand what it was like to lose Vulcan and have to find a new planet to inhabit. There's a lot there for her back story and to put her on a course that would align with the original universe if they chose to do so.

In the very brief moment Sulu had the com they showed him being positively George Takei bad-ass like. Maybe they'll stick him in his own ship in a few movies down the line.

The whole Kirk/Spock, this is what the other one would have done, scene was interesting. I think it was a mistake and they should have aped Space Seed more than Wrath. it wasn't offensive. Neither was Kirk's death. Human beings today have been legally dead for minutes at a time, which is what Kirk was, though if they were to bring him back to life so fast with the magic blood I think they should have introduced some sort of deficiency in Kirk to make up for it. Maybe a physical ailment, or something, so that he's never truly the same.

I like the fact they show Kirk being both completely reckless and then being completely about towing the line Admiral Marcus give him and how both of those things are dangerous, that his place is somewhere in between pure devotion to rules and throwing caution to the wind.

One other thing, I thought Peter Weller's acting was fantastic and nuanced. The way he explained his decisions and actions, even if his behavior was definitely vile and cold, you could almost understand why he made them. Also, Mickey!

Edited by Mommar

My wife hates 3D, and I HATE when it looks dodgy. Is the 3D on Imax decent looking, as in not darkening the scenes too much and not muddying up the picture? (last movie shot in 2D and shown in 3D I saw was Clash of the Titans and the 3D process was a muddled mess in that one)

I usually avoid 3d on normal screens but am hooked on IMAX. Curiously there are theatres that claims to have IMAX 3d but their screens are only slightly bigger than normal "extreme" screens. Some research on your local IMAX would be a good idea.

Yup, Peter Weller was *awesome* in it. Really wanted more screen time.

Yeah I agree Weller was awesome

they really should have made him the real big bad, not Harrison/Kahn, with Kahn just being a ruthless type out for revenge against Marcus.

Yeah I agree Weller was awesome

they really should have made him the real big bad, not Harrison/Kahn, with Kahn just being a ruthless type out for revenge against Marcus.

But what would his motivation be?

But what would his motivation be?

Already there. He was willing to kill of the Enterprise crew in order to keep the secret of the special weapons project and trying to start a war with the Klingons. He was counting on Enterprise to fire the torpedos and when they did not he had to tie up the loose ends.

Already there. He was willing to kill of the Enterprise crew in order to keep the secret of the special weapons project and trying to start a war with the Klingons. He was counting on Enterprise to fire the torpedos and when they did not he had to tie up the loose ends.

Exactly, his motivations are quite clear.

He wants to start a war at all costs, the reason, is not as clear, possibly a power grab, expansion of territory, or he analyzed some Narada data and sees that their best way to beat the coming borg/dominion invasion is to have the Klingons be a subservient warrior race working directly for the federation. That would need to be fleshed out more of course, but allowing Kahn to make he noble sacrifice to save the Big-E and have his people sent to Seti-Alpha V would actually bring the timeline back a bit so that the real Wrath of Kahn could still happen.

Motivation is simple:

Marcus is a patriot, and he knows war is inevitable. He wants to make sure when it comes the Federation is ready to strike hard and come out on top--even if some sacrifices have to be made along the way.

Motivation is simple:

Marcus is a patriot, and he knows war is inevitable. He wants to make sure when it comes the Federation is ready to strike hard and come out on top--even if some sacrifices have to be made along the way.

Yeah Marcus is a true heroe. :rolleyes:

Oh and ty JJ Abrams for this ''wonderful'' brainless action movie without any substance nor artistic vision. One of Hollywood's ''best'' right here guys. :rolleyes:

Edited by Macross007

Oh and ty JJ Abrams for this ''wonderful'' brainless action movie without any substance nor artistic vision. One of Hollywood's ''best'' right here guys. :rolleyes:

I would like to point out that instead of taking the black & white approach that The Federation is all wrong and the terrorists are good, or vice versa, they point out that any extreme action on either side will result in the same horrible, unjustifiable consequences.

It seems to me that both of them were the "big bad." Because one was taken out before the other, by the other, doesn't mean they weren't both a problem. Especially considering the object they were to use to achieve their goals were identical.

Edited by Mommar

No one said he was a hero, what he did was unconscionable, but he clearly wanted the Federation ready for conflict that WILL come. IMO what he did was no different than humans rebuilding and preparing the SDF Macross for combat along with a new generation of fighting mecha to prepare for the possibility of an alien invasion.

As for the substance arguement, TOS and the other Star Trek shows had over 40 years to show off their substance and vision; in Abram's defense he's had roughly 5 hours to show us his. These new movies are meant to capture a new crowd of Star Trek fans, who might possibly be convinced to discover the "vision and substance" that classic Trek fans already know. Gotta look at this positively, guys...

The fact that

Marcus feels he has to take out a whe ship of innocents proves he"s in the wrong. If he were just concerned with saving the cederation, he wohld have owned up yo his wrongs, m owing full well the federation would still adapted his technology for decense anyway. Instead, he acted to maintain his own power structure.

Also, standing behind my original comment. Alice Eve is freakin hot, totally would hit it. Saw the movie twice this weekend, and am waiting for the bluray.

The fact that

Marcus feels he has to take out a whe ship of innocents proves he"s in the wrong. If he were just concerned with saving the cederation, he wohld have owned up yo his wrongs, m owing full well the federation would still adapted his technology for decense anyway. Instead, he acted to maintain his own power structure.

Also, standing behind my original comment. Alice Eve is freakin hot, totally would hit it. Saw the movie twice this weekend, and am waiting for the bluray.

Her accent certainly helps.

Actually, I have to admit here.. I'm curious about how they plan on addressing fixed points in history that happened independently of anything related to Starfleet.

There are really a huge amount of things that have yet to happen, and the only reason they worked out the first time was because people were in the right place at the right time. I know new Spock didn't want old Spock telling him about his life, but I seem to think after the influence he's already had, he might want to warn them about a few specific things. Preparing ahead of time for the Doomsday Machine, V-Ger, the space whale probe, the Borg, etc.. you could save a ton of lives.

And really.. given the size of the ships already? I'm starting to think he already did warn them. The JJ-prise is already approaching the size of the Ent-D, and the Vengeance was even bigger. Unless the Klingons (along with every other race in the universe) have been similarly scaled up, they're going to be flies for Starfleet to swat.

I'm actually curious if they're going to revisit Talos IV. It would be the obvious next stop on the "plot points we want to revisit" list, but you'd think Spock would warn them about something like that.

Hey, that last sentence----they could meet Basara!

i'm still gonna see this but... from what i've gleened from that linkie plus what a lot of folks are b*tching about on TrekMovie, pretty sure JJ is gonna say T U F U to any further Star Trek projects...

And really.. given the size of the ships already? I'm starting to think he already did warn them. The JJ-prise is already approaching the size of the Ent-D, and the Vengeance was even bigger.

The larger ships in Starfleet are the easiest part of the timeline to accept.

The USS Kelvin was overwhelmed by a giant ship.

Starfleet: Need bigger ships so we get the JJprise.

Then the giant mystery ship destroys Vulcan and almost destroys Earth.

Starfleet: Need even bigger ships.

When the intelligence shows that it is a Romulan mining ship from the future and not even a warship.

Peter Weller comes along with: need bigger ships and the will to use them.

Starfleet could figure out they needed bigger and better ships without Spock Prime.

Have to agree with Trek greatest hits, featuring JJ.Abrams comment.

Indeed, that girl is drop dead gorgeous, nothing wrong with her face. Not sure if the movie will hold up on TV well. I find lengthy special effect sequences that make a blockbuster fun experience in the cinema, don't always translate well to a small screen.

Nah, it's good, go see it.

Yup, haters got to hate...and hate...and hate.

Been a fan of Trek since childhood, it would be interesting if you guys could put as much effort tearing apart the original films (or series for that matter), as you do with the JJ films. JJ didn't bring plot wholes or silly crap with him when he came to the franchise, that was long ago established in Trek....including in our beloved Wrath of Kahn.

Chris

I have been a trek fan and have seen almost all episodes of each series, and have seen every movie. I loved this one a lot, and consider it as one of my favorites, along with Wrath of Khan and Star Trek First Contact. I didn't go looking for loopholes or reviews before seeing the movie, just went ahead and saw it at the Imax. I enjoyed it so much, I will be buying the blue ray when it does come out. This one was definitely, to me at least, much better than the first star trek by jj Abrahams. If my head were analysing every bit and paying attention to the loop holes, I could probably find some stuff to wine about, but I just went in there, and enjoyed the movie, and liked the surprises, as I hadn't and gone reading all the spoilers and forums beforehand.

So if you still haven't read too much into the forum and all the spoilers or critics, then go and see the movie, and you might just enjoy it, or not. ;)

It's a stupid movie but it's paced, shot and acted well enough to be enjoyable and even good.

Though, yeah, if you really analyze a lot of them, they're all pretty stupid. Meh, but what do I know. I still actually enjoy TMP. :p

That io9 review actually contained a link to a pretty similar review of TWOK, and yep, have to agree, Star Trek has never really been great cinema. They're just fun movies (except for Nemesis), which this apparently is, so ok then. ^_^

I'm surprised nobody's noticed or commented how the film's opening is a tribute to Raider's of the Lost Ark, and a veiled shot at Prometheus. Nibiru is a part of babylonian and sumatran creation legend, the same legend's that Prometheus drew its imagry from. It just so happens in Star Trek its populated by pale white skinned religious fanatics with black souless eyes.

EDIT: It's definatly more than a coincidence considering Lindelof wrote both films... Which might actually explain a few things. ;)

Edited by renegadeleader1