You'd be surprised. Other than the Valk designs themselves I don't like Macross at all. I can't even watch the originals that got me hooked.

You're not alone in that; whether it was GI Joe or any other franchise with cool vehicles, I never cared much for the characters or the story, SDF Macross included...

Yes, we have diverse interests, and some of us have stronger interests in Macross than others. Nevertheless, bigF's fundamental message stands: there's something about Macross that we like (otherwise we would never be participating in MW), and as that is something we have in common (to greater or lesser extent), it can give you an idea (more or less) if you will like something.

Maybe a pessimistic version would be better? You're more likely to find negative reviews that echo your sentiments in MW than any other site. :lol:

I read the spoiler(s) and I don't quite see the problem.

I mean, is it that Khan's blood has special regenerative properties? I mean, is that any harder to swallow than a torpedo that grows a living, breathing planet from a dead one? Or can bring a dead guy who was in his '50s back to life, but starting as a baby that grows really quick?

I don't know. I'd like to see how it plays out.

I mean, is it that Khan's blood has special regenerative properties? I mean, is that any harder to swallow than a torpedo that grows a living, breathing planet from a dead one? Or can bring a dead guy who was in his '50s back to life, but starting as a baby that grows really quick?

Regenerative properties? Okay. Bringing a dead man back to life? I call BS. I get where they're going with the idea, they're twisting the story around so Kirk is actually alive because of Khan, whoopie. It would be an interesting plot twist if Kirk contracted a disease, and the antibodies were built from Khan's blood, but this is just approaching pure fantasy.

Honestly, I've never cared for how Genesis revived Spock either, but the idea there was to rebuild existing matter into something living, and even as fantastic as that is, it makes more sense than reviving a dead body by injecting it with some magic blood.

I'll wait to find out if it's true, but I'm not really excited to see the movie. There's a few ways you could go about this, and if it's like an injection right after death, ok, potentially yeah, that could work. Either way, it's taking the original Khan story, and taking a good long dump all over it.

I knew this response would come up. I'm not going to repeat what Chronocidal said because it's a good answer. I will add that, yes, the original Genesis device is a pretty stupid idea. But that just makes this new movie more stupid. Why essentially reuse the idea? And there's not even the emotional impact like when Spock died in 2. It's just a really dumb "plot twist" inspired by an already rocky scenario and it doesn't even have the payoff like the original idea. It's just really dumb.

Going further. . . . assuming these rumors are true:

* What the hell is McCoy doing with a tribble anyways, especially if it's already dead?

* What in the high-holy heck inspired McCoy to inject not-Khan's blood into said dead tribble? :huh:

Sounds like some seriously out there plot contrivances.

If all this turns out to be true, I want ZOMBIE BORGIFIED TRIBBLES for the next movie. :p

Personally, I'd rather this story have focused on how Kirk and Khan are mirrors for each or two sides of the same coin. They both tend to buck against the rigid rules of Starfleet. Both tend to be mavericks that do their own thing. If they were going to go re-do a Khan story, this would have been a more interesting angle to explore, rather than trying to rehash the original Khan story but with a TWIST (or two).

Honestly, I've never cared for how Genesis revived Spock either, but

the idea there was to rebuild existing matter into something living, and

even as fantastic as that is, it makes more sense than reviving a dead

body by injecting it with some magic blood.

I'll wait to find out if it's true, but I'm not really excited to see the movie. There's a few ways you could go about this, and if it's like an injection right after death, ok, potentially yeah, that could work. Either way, it's taking the original Khan story, and taking a good long

dump all over it.

Actually, it makes less sense. We know for a fact that

a sinlge set of DNA will never, EVER, grow into an exact physical

clone. At least with this "magical blood" premise (if that's what it

is), we can assume that they aren't expecting Kirk to be magically born

again and grow into the same physical man in the space of

weeks.`

i agree that it is a bit of a cop out, and it would've been way cooler for it NOT to be Kahn, but people are up in arms about magic blood when it is friggin' STAR TREK! Almost every story in ST relies on magic dressed up in gobledygook to make it sound SF.

I agree with The White Drew Carey, don't see what the big deal is with the spoilers. Especially with what has come before in Trek. To each their own I guess.

Chris

Neither do purely argumentative comments like that. You keep stating your OPINION as fact. As twdc stated this is no more silly/dumb/ whatever than alot of what has come before in all of Trek imo.

If you hate this movie so much why keep posting here? You have made you feelings more than well known.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

I suppose this is going to just wind up like the Star Wars tweaks in terms of how it's received. People who don't care about the old movies aren't going to see it as that strange or dumb, while long-time fans will take it as a personal offense, as if JJ crapped in their cornflakes.

For what it's worth though.. yeah, the entire plot sounds horribly contrived specifically as a way to reference old material in a new way, and twist it all over the place for no other reason than to be different while being the same.

The biggest problem I have here is that you're taking the plot devices of ST:II and applying them where they don't even make sense yet. TWOK had a huge emotional impact, because you had these characters who had been together for years, and that was a big huge deal. Someone saved his best friends by dying for them. Probably one of the most heart-wrenching moments in cinema, as Scotty stands there playing his bagpipes, and they eject his coffin into space.

In this universe? Kirk and Spock barely just met comparitively, so there's no huge life-long friendship yet to build on or destroy. They'll probably wedge in some "needs of the many" homages, but if you magically bring the character back to life in 30 min or less, there's no point to it, because no one actually sacrificed anything for anyone. It's just "Oh, he died? Crud... go inject him with some plot device so we can move on to the next movie with the same cast."

I dunno. I'm not going to say the movie won't be entertaining, but it feels like a massive rush to cram in plot points simply for the sake of using them in new and different ways.

Edited by Chronocidal

I suppose this is going to just wind up like the Star Wars tweaks in terms of how it's received. People who don't care about the old movies aren't going to see it as that strange or dumb, while long-time fans will take it as a personal offense, as if JJ crapped in their cornflakes.For what it's worth though.. yeah, the entire plot sounds horribly contrived specifically as a way to reference old material in a new way, and twist it all over the place for no other reason than to be different while being the same.

The biggest problem I have here is that you're taking the plot devices of ST:II and applying them where they don't even make sense yet. TWOK had a huge emotional impact, because you had these characters who had been together for years, and that was a big huge deal. Someone saved his best friends by dying for them. Probably one of the most heart-wrenching moments in cinema, as Scotty stands there playing his bagpipes, and they eject his coffin into space.In this universe? Kirk and Spock barely just met comparitively, so there's no huge life-long friendship yet to build on or destroy. They'll probably wedge in some "needs of the many" homages, but if you magically bring the character back to life in 30 min or less, there's no point to it, because no one actually sacrificed anything for anyone. It's just "Oh, he died? Crud... go inject him with some plot device so we can move on to the next movie with the same cast."

I dunno. I'm not going to say the movie won't be entertaining, but it feels like a massive rush to cram in plot points simply for the sake of using them in new and different ways.

I understand what you are saying and don't get me wrong, I don't think the spoilers are the greatest thing either....just that I don't think it's as bad as it's being made out to be. Still looks a fun movie to me.

Chris

Considering the first movie was a creative disaster it is not really suprising the next installment is continuing were we left off.

In this regard I would say JJ and his gang are on course... whatever that is worth for the franchise.

Whatever that is worth? You mean bringing it back from the dead and making it more popular than its ever been?

I suppose this is going to just wind up like the Star Wars tweaks in terms of how it's received. People who don't care about the old movies aren't going to see it as that strange or dumb, while long-time fans will take it as a personal offense, as if JJ crapped in their cornflakes.

For what it's worth though.. yeah, the entire plot sounds horribly contrived specifically as a way to reference old material in a new way, and twist it all over the place for no other reason than to be different while being the same.

The biggest problem I have here is that you're taking the plot devices of ST:II and applying them where they don't even make sense yet. TWOK had a huge emotional impact, because you had these characters who had been together for years, and that was a big huge deal. Someone saved his best friends by dying for them. Probably one of the most heart-wrenching moments in cinema, as Scotty stands there playing his bagpipes, and they eject his coffin into space.

In this universe? Kirk and Spock barely just met comparitively, so there's no huge life-long friendship yet to build on or destroy. They'll probably wedge in some "needs of the many" homages, but if you magically bring the character back to life in 30 min or less, there's no point to it, because no one actually sacrificed anything for anyone. It's just "Oh, he died? Crud... go inject him with some plot device so we can move on to the next movie with the same cast."

You all could keep arguing with me in an attempt to try to be right or you could read Chronocidals explanation on why it's all a bad idea because he is correct. If Star Trek was full of dumb idea's let's fix it. Poorly rehashing an already dumb idea is more dumb, regardless of how much of a spectacle JJ can make it out to be.

There was some hate going on earlier in this thread about the genesis bomb in ROK - that thing was great.

No, not because of the idea behind it, but because of its role in the script: it gave us a Hollywood Bomb that wasn't annoying and actually gave the plot an extra shove at the end, it also worked to complete the theme of the movie: the cycle of life (or more cynically: getting old, death and rebirth).

Now, this STID (sounds like a fornication disease) will never be able to attain the same sublime level of ROK - for the simple reason that others have already mentioned: the characters are young, just starting out on their space adventures.

That sad, I hope that this film actually has a point about something (and not the sharp, pointy type used for stabbing), and a good bad-guy. The first film, although I give it a passing grade because its the first in the series and is focused on developing the characters, is ultimately, forgettable. At best, it's akin to hanging out with your best friends for a couple of hours.

I don't care what contrivances or gimmicks they put into it - just give me a decent story, decent characters, and a decent theme executed decently!

He really doesn't look that different. This one is Bald which they've never really shown before, so it looks a tad odd but for the most part it's relatively accurate.

Not sure where the switched stereotype comes from.

• 2 weeks later...

Caught this earlier today in IMAX 3D. Possibly the best picture I've seen in recent years, entirely enjoyed it. It's twice as Trek as the last Trek movie, had goosebumps throughout and I say this as one who isn't a TOS fan. Would like to see more, was pretty inspired at the end of the movie.

It may have been the IMAX though ^_^.

The new girl is insanely hot. WTB a hot toys fig.

Edited by raptormesh