Yes, Grow up and take responsability for your life. Shown from both Spock and Kirk's perspective. The rest of your complaints are of the sour grapes variety, old trek fans need to get over the fact that it is not coming back since they beat that formula to death.

Really, that's all you have. That's very thin. It wasn't like both Kirk and Spock were doing poorly in school. If I recall they were both at the top of the class. You take a classic episode like Arena with the Gorn. That's what I was getting at in the final Star Trek reboot scene and ultimately where the reboot failed. The Arena episode is a moral story that's far more complex in less than 60 minutes compared to the whole of the reboot.

And a more classic Star Trek will come back eventually. Just like how the more serious James Bond films came back after the fantasy Roger Moore and actiony Pierce Brosnan movies.

Edited by JetJockey

Really, that's all you have. That's very thin. It wasn't like both Kirk and Spock were doing poorly in school. If I recall they were both at the top of the class. You take a classic episode like Arena with the Gorn. That's what I was getting at in the final Star Trek reboot scene and ultimately where the reboot failed. The Arena episode is a moral story that's far more complex in less than 60 minutes compared to the whole of the reboot.

And a more classic Star Trek will come back eventually. Just like how the more serious James Bond films came back after the fantasy Roger Moore and actiony Pierce Brosnan movies.

The claim was that it had no moral point, that is patently untrue. I shall not indulge in a discussion on to the merits of it being good enough or not.

I think one of my biggest issues with the reboot other than the glaring plotholes Nero created, was Kirks rise to power:

He is shown starting off as a drunken bum, with no shipboard history after birth, goes to the academy and after graduation goes straight to command the flag ship, sorry I call BS.

All they had to do was have some throw away line stating that he served on some ship before he was recruited into the academy command program, maybe even that he was the XO on a civilian transport or something.

http://trekmovie.com/2013/04/12/star-trek-into-darkness-domestic-poster-has-arrived-trailer-online-next-tuesday/

o.O Not the best post art (some glaring mistakes) but if this is the Big E, its implied she gets a hella lot more screwed up in the final fight (presumed final fight)...

Heh.. I love this comment.

"In fact its not really a Star Trek movie poster if it doesnt have the USS Enterprise on it. Of the 10 prime universe Star Trek movie posters, only two didnt include a USS Enterprise somewhere on the poster. The Star Trek IV poster featured a Klingon Bird of Prey but only because Kirk and crew used the Klingon ship in the movie because the Enterprise had been destroyed in Star Trek III (and they didnt get a new Enterprise until the end of the movie). Nemesis was the only poster to not feature any ship at all and that film almost killed the franchise so apparently Paramount knows to put a ship on the poster."

Say whatever you will about the reboot, or any other Trek film.. I don't think even ST:V was as bad as Nemesis.

But anyway, I wouldn't be sad at all to see the JJ-Prise poof in this movie. I just hope when the inevitable new version comes along, it's something a little less iPrise, and more along the lines of the Connie refit.

Actually, I'd love to see them finally use the original emergency saucer separation, where you can't reconnect the drive section without a spacedock. Really, the saucer is fine, looks like it came off the refit to begin with... it's everything from the neck down that looks weird. :p

All Next Generation movies, with the exception of First Constact, were horrid pieces of dreck, but IMO Insurrection takes the crown for the worst Star Trek movie ever made; regardless, I do agree with you that Nemessis is worse than ST:V... even as silly as that was.

Yes, the JJ-'prise's gotta go. It looks like they had two teams creating independent, complete, designs for the new "old NCC-1701": a larger derivative of the Connie refit, and an awkward bulbous Buck Roger's abortion; then someone, perhaps Abrahms himself, decided to put the saucer of the first atop the engineering hull of the second, with the result being far uglier than the sum of its parts. I'm just not sure if depicting a primary hull separation preceding the ship's destruction would be a good idea as it would smack of walking on previously trodden soil (Generations).

Edited by mechaninac

I think one of my biggest issues with the reboot other than the glaring plotholes Nero created, was Kirks rise to power:

He is shown starting off as a drunken bum, with no shipboard history after birth, goes to the academy and after graduation goes straight to command the flag ship, sorry I call BS.

All they had to do was have some throw away line stating that he served on some ship before he was recruited into the academy command program, maybe even that he was the XO on a civilian transport or something.

I felt the same way. I would've had him as, like you suggested, an XO on another ship, and perhaps his life as a worthless drunk resulted from a "falling from grace" from his previous life aboard this starship. This, of course, would make his education at Starfleet seem redundant though.

On that note, I always felt that Picard's election to be captain of the Federation flagship was somewhat unbelievable also. Based on his accomplishments before his assignment to the big 'D, he didn't really do anything out of the ordinary that made him any more remarkable than another Federation captain, unless I'm missing something on his prior resume...

I felt the same way. I would've had him as, like you suggested, an XO on another ship, and perhaps his life as a worthless drunk resulted from a "falling from grace" from his previous life aboard this starship. This, of course, would make his education at Starfleet seem redundant though.

On that note, I always felt that Picard's election to be captain of the Federation flagship was somewhat unbelievable also. Based on his accomplishments before his assignment to the big 'D, he didn't really do anything out of the ordinary that made him any more remarkable than another Federation captain, unless I'm missing something on his prior resume...

Picard did have a maneuver named after him and was one of the youngest Starfleet officers to be named captain, that might have been part of what got him the job.

http://ex-astris-scientia.org/database/tng-characters.htm

Edited by mecha2241

I think you guys are missing the Obvious here. Kirk wasn't instantly made Captain, he wasn't even assigned to the Enterprise. He was smuggled aboard, impromptu made backup Second Officer due to a crisis, snagged command away from Spok, and kept his command at the end due to the sheer slaughter of personal that happened in Vulcan orbit.

I think you guys are missing the Obvious here. Kirk wasn't instantly made Captain, he wasn't even assigned to the Enterprise. He was smuggled aboard, impromptu made backup Second Officer due to a crisis, snagged command away from Spok, and kept his command at the end due to the sheer slaughter of personal that happened in Vulcan orbit.

In "real" life he might have gotten command of a smaller vessel, or made XO of a the Big E. Most likely he would have just gotten a medal and a single grade promotion and then off to the wardroom of a destroyer or frigate to learn how things are done and to get some seasoning. Being ST, well, that can all be skipped. Also - most of the fleet was not at Earth so there WERE plenty of captains that should have gotten the job before Kirk did. (once again, this is movie land so...)

They missed a huge oppurtunity to give kirk some really fan loving back story, imagine if he was in the trek version of the merchant marines prior to landing back home for shore leave, and worked his way up to XO under Captain Harry Mudd, who recommended him to Pike, and told Pike where to find him. Then you make it clear that Kirk is not entering the regular academy, he already has a degree/been through the merchent marine OCS, but instead he is going into command school after which he would be the XO of a federation ship, or a second officer on the Big-E. After that getting the captaincy of the Big-E given his actions during the Nero crisis wouldn't be such a big deal.

They missed a huge oppurtunity to give kirk some really fan loving back story, imagine if he was in the trek version of the merchant marines prior to landing back home for shore leave, and worked his way up to XO under Captain Harry Mudd, who recommended him to Pike, and told Pike where to find him. Then you make it clear that Kirk is not entering the regular academy, he already has a degree/been through the merchent marine OCS, but instead he is going into command school after which he would be the XO of a federation ship, or a second officer on the Big-E. After that getting the captaincy of the Big-E given his actions during the Nero crisis wouldn't be such a big deal.

I'd of loved to see a whole movie just with Kirk as XO on a ship captained by Harry Mudd!

Exactly my point, it calls out a popular character from TOS, and gives the character some much needed backstory that is now missing in the reboot, an interesting backstory at that. And, it is not too late to correct that, one scene in the new one could have Kirk talking to Mudd, and then he comments that was Mudd's XO before joining starfleet.

Edited by Knight26

lot of folks on TM keep thinking the story line is based on the novel 'Dreadnaught'... yes, jaw dropping, the final video.

Personally, I see NOTHING of the Galaxy Class in this new ship.

It also seems to have, or can have an open primary hull.

post-265-0-85002300-1366154292_thumb.jpg

Reminds me of the Old April Fools Enterprise design that came out before the first JJ movie.

post-265-0-17745300-1366154350_thumb.jpg

And..

post-265-0-77828100-1366154389_thumb.jpg

Chris

There's that ham-fisted, "I think you're the greatness, Kirk", stuff. Not much of a good look at the new ship. So far it's a love/hate sort of thing. "I'm sorry" pretty much sums up the saying "hell is truth realized too late."

Okay, I think I've figured this out. In that earlier trailer while Kirk is rocketed out of a ship and we see that other one in the background with the funny wedge shape. I'll bet that's the back half of the hull of another ship that has already jettisoned it's saucer section.

Edited by Mommar