Has anyone added english subs to the Mac Frontier bluRays?

jwinges

There have been some unofficial chinese engrish DVD's on ebay. I believe some of them used the fan-subs for the dvd's. I haven't seen any blu-ray versions. But there have been some nice high-quality 8gb+ torrent versions of each film out there if you know where to look.

I, and a couple of other guys on this board, did some work on encoding our own files and also hard-subbing the shows. I didn't go as far as learning how to burn onto a DVD or BD, but I can at least make some recommendations for you:

mkvmerge and mkvtoolnix are excellent, lightweight programs that are efficient at packaging audio, video, and subtitles into matroska format. .mkv isn't very widely-accepted and even my WMP doesn't like them (I even have K-lite codec pack and it still doesn't display the subtitles. I use MPC for .mkv files). PS3's don't like matroskas right now, either. However, matroskas are the easiest and quickest to encode.

I used XviD4PSP to encode two different versions of the 2nd Macross Frontier movie, one in 1080 and the other in 720 (because 1080 was too large for my flash drive). I hard-coded the subtitles into an MP4 format so it would play on a PS3. In each case, the encoding took around 6 hours for the 1080 movie into MP4. However, there was no noticeable loss of quality and everything worked out great.

If you really wanted to, you could find a program to rip your BD for the best possible quality, then re-encode that stream with hard or soft-coded subtitles (not sure how to make it toggle-able for a BD/DVD, but research...), then find another program to re-burn your new version onto a blank disc for your and your friends' viewing pleasures. Both programs I mentioned earlier are free to download, so you may not have to spend a single penny on achieving your goal. Good luck!

Thanks for the tips. I might try working this out when I have some more spare time. First I think I'll try just taking the MKV files with subs that I have, burning them to a BD25 or DVD and trying them in a regular bluray player. if that works I'll just stop there. If not then I'll try ripping the full bluray and replacing one of the current subs with an english sub or just add an english sub if its possible. I've been reading on it and some say it can be done some say it can't with blurays.

I wouldn't mind getting them on BRD as well. I have them on the original BRD, but with no subs, it's not as fun to watch. I made a DVD set, but a BRD set would be even better. I don't know much about encoding, subtitles, and all that, but I have software that I got from a forum that does subs, and it works pretty good. I also have an Asus laptop that is capable of burning BR, but need to upgrade the drive to do it.

I have hardcoded all of the episodes at 1080p with AAC sound for my collection, they are very high quality and PS3 compatible, the subs used were THORA's. Let me know if you are interested and I'll upload them somewhere for you guys.

I'm definitely interested in getting those. With large files like that, it'd probably have to go up on bittorrent, but if you do that, please let us know. If I can get the files, I should have my BRD burner in about a month. BTW, thanks for the offer. I'm sure you'll make a lot of people happy here.

Worked on getting them up today, direct download mirrors are crap since multiupload went down, got a torrent up and realized I was missing 2 episodes which were missing subtitle aligment, I'll encode those overnight. I'll try to have a torrent up by tomorrow, just so you guys know my upload speed is crap, so it'll take a while for you guys to get all the files.

• 2 weeks later...

The torrent is live, what I meant by hang in there was that it'll take a while for anyone to get all the episodes downloaded, and you're welcome, after you get them let me know if they worked out for you guys.

Downloading now. At this rate, it'll be about 5 days to a week. It spikes up, then goes down, so hope it averages out on the high side. Once these are done, I will try to put them on BD.

I'm seeding this until you guys get it, there were a few times it went down, I was at work and my internet crapped out on me. There's not much else I can do.

Thanks...much appreciated. It's running a bit faster, only 50 kb/s on average. Compared to earlier 2.2 kb/s it's at lightning speed now. Once I get it, I'll keep it seeded as well, as to get it out there faster.

wow man was that from two days ago

Yep and at this point, it's telling me only 4.5 days to go :wacko:

99.9% and it's been there for about 4 hours and o kb/s. I should've been done about 5 hours ago, but it just choked.

you should be ready, my client is reading a torrent file from the folder I didn't add, (as in .torrent). All the files should play. Give them a try and let me know.

Works great! I'm used to uTorrent saying it's ready, so maybe it's just this new version? Don't know, but the quality is excellent. Thanks for putting this up. The quality is very good. You've done a good thing. Many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't mind getting them on BRD as well. I have them on the original BRD, but with no subs, it's not as fun to watch. I made a DVD set, but a BRD set would be even better. I don't know much about encoding, subtitles, and all that, but I have software that I got from a forum that does subs, and it works pretty good. I also have an Asus laptop that is capable of burning BR, but need to upgrade the drive to do it.

Hey Jason, where is this software you speak of? ;) I've had zero success in getting the subs on my dvd's

From personal experience, xVid4PSP does an excellent job of hard-coding subtitles and encodes a plethora of media file types. However, I do not know how to soft-code into a BD/DVD format, nor do I know how to burn onto a BD/DVD. Perhaps that will get you started, at least.

I wonder what one of you guys might charge to burn and send a copy of the first and second macross frontier movies onto a Blu-Ray for someone with no skills at encoding or a blu-ray burner to do it myself. But we have several ps3's and a blu-ray player. Please let me know! Thanks!

Twich

• 2 weeks later...

From personal experience, xVid4PSP does an excellent job of hard-coding subtitles and encodes a plethora of media file types. However, I do not know how to soft-code into a BD/DVD format, nor do I know how to burn onto a BD/DVD. Perhaps that will get you started, at least.

I can't speak to BD, but there are several programs out there that can do a soft sub encode on a DVD. "DVDRemake" is one of them and it isn't too expensive either. Several others can do it, you just have to look around and do some specific searches.