I'd be interested to see how japanese audiences take the film. I'd say it would be quite loved.

Hard to say... national pride could come into play, and we may get reactions like, "we would have done it differently", etc...

Finally watched it again last night with my wife who enjoyed it. She asked why they didn't just nuke the kaiju as they left. I said then they wouldn't have needed to build giant robots.

Finally watched it again last night with my wife who enjoyed it. She asked why they didn't just nuke the kaiju as they left. I said then they wouldn't have needed to build giant robots.

How about... wait.. wait.. you had a fistfight with a monster, trashed a city, killed thousands, and you HAD A F*KING SWORD THE WHOLE TIME????!!!

How about... wait.. wait.. you had a fistfight with a monster, trashed a city, killed thousands, and you HAD A F*KING SWORD THE WHOLE TIME????!!!

Even in story that's easy enough to explain with the dialogue in story (it was greatly upgraded and not equipped as it was Raleigh and Yancy were on it. She's an inexperienced rookie who has a lot going on to explain all the bells and whistles. Sure, I imagine they had a briefing and what not and some technical manuals, etc, but it's a lot on their list and more than plausible since their deployment wasn't even planned.

Don't get me wrong, it had some inconsistencies... that's just not one of them. Story wise, I think Raleigh seemed way layed back and should have had emotional/PTSD issues more than a match for Mako's and offset by his own trauma (flashbacks of Yancy getting gobbled up, etc) since he said they were drifting and felt Yancy's fear and pain until getting killed.

I still think it's a better movie with the same impact if it's only one or two of the chinamen who are killed in their cockpit (ideally one, and the other two keep on trucking in Crimson Typhoon until getting disabled by the EMP with Striker.

Anime trope, dude. We've seen it a thousand times in the past thirty-some years.

This is a discussion forum dude... I am not insulting any member of the board. The movie was lousy.

It was a joke big guy... I just got a kick on how you go out of your way to bash stuff.

On that particular time I was enjoying a burger with A1 sauce... and the inspiration came.

It was not mean spirited, brother... my apologies.

It was a joke big guy... I just got a kick on how you go out of your way to bash stuff.

On that particular time I was enjoying a burger with A1 sauce... and the inspiration came.

It was not mean spirited, brother... my apologies.

No problem.. HAHA

Its hard to offend me.

I'd be interested to see how japanese audiences take the film. I'd say it would be quite loved.

Going to go see it tomorrow. Let you know.

It finally opened in Japan, and I went to see it in IMAX 3D. I loved it, and after the movie ended, we grabbed some random geeky types and asked them how they liked it. They were especially impressed that a foreigner could channel proper showa era kaiju tropes.

It's finally out here but I can only go to the 3D version unless I want to wait more days to finally see it. Anybody wen to see it in 3d? Does it look too dark? Hate to miss details because of impatience.

Saw it a few hours ago. I liked it. Theater was about 1/2 full (12:15 PM showing on a Sunday). Now, at this particular cinema, there are 3 versions you can see: 2D dubbed and subbed, and 3D IMAX. I saw the 2D subbed (long time 3D viewing gives me a headache). And, in case anyone was interested, yes they kept the Japanese dialog intact.

There's also another place in town showing 2D subbed and dubbed, with regular 3D.

<_<

Wouldn't several thousand miles inland from the Pacific put you on the other coast?

1.1 or 1.5 etc counts as "several", you don't need a full 2+. (and pretty much the entire NE US is 2000+ mi from the Pacific, while still on land)

And until "Atlantic Rim" comes out, the other coast seems quite safe. :D

Saw it last night with my girlfriend. Warned her ahead of time that there's not going to be much strength in plot; it's just a big rollercoaster, so hang on and enjoy the ride.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. As I suspected, the plot development scenes were vastly overshadowed by the eye-candy and action-fest that is the fight scenes. Both the Kaiju and Jaegers had great designs and detail. I loved some of the scenes where the Jaegers were simply walking and you could see the articulation; cooling vents opening and closing, the shoulderguards on the Gipsy Danger rattling while it moves, and so on... It really gave the Jaegers the feel of cold, hard, clunky technology that only we humans would build in such a hurry like that.

This movie had a lot of similarities to Independence Day. Alien creatures bent on destroying humanity so they can harvest the planet's resources, gaining entry into the aliens' "homeworld" by disguising as one of them, setting off a nuke right in their faces, and even the same "oh crap" look on their faces when they realized they were about to be blown to bits. I was a bit disappointed to see these devices being used, but they were just so good, they had to be used again. It's the reason you see a lot of the same stuff in modern sci-fi movies that you've seen in Star Wars. They just got to use them first, that's all.

Yes, there were some plot holes and things that we know wouldn't really happen, but (even as an engineering student) I was able to just "let it go" and just plain enjoy the movie for what it was: kickass monsters and kickass robots duking it out in a fight to the death.

Edited by frothymug

Depends on what you mean by bomb. It opened in the top 5 at the Japanese box office with $3M. That's 290.45M Yen but is 1/3 of what it made when it opened in China, as far as US Dollars goes. Makes me wonder what the take for the whole weekend is?

http://screenrant.com/elysium-were-the-millers-percy-jackson-box-office/

No Imax3D here but ended up seing it in 3D. Best 3D since Avatar; did not have the usual blury vision I get in other 3D movies.

IMO the movie is the definition of FUN!! The group I went with and me could not stop clapping and shouting on the fight scenes. That moment

when the kaiju sprouts wings

made us stand up and clap lol. Fantastic experience. This movie is a cartoon made reality and that it what it goes for at first glance.

Del Toro pulled an incredible amount of world building by just showing things. Probably most of it will fly over the average moviegoer. Del Toro is a director that takes great car in his visuals and going by that I see a lot of back story just there for people to pick up. The world he paints is never cast in that emo gritty crap that so many do now but with a few visual strokes he painted a much horrible and scarier place, full of poverty and hunger than any speech about how lost Gotham is.

I don’t think the wall was THAT stupid, it’s just the result of humanity giving up.

- Kaijus arrive, hell brakes loose but humanity reacts quickly.
- Humanity creates their own monster to fight back. The Jaegers turn the tide; we see the images of how happy and confident the world is. International cooperation did it and humanity is saved.
- Cue the better types of kaiju. The MK3 and up can’t go one on one like before. Looks like they have to gang up on them again with many jaegers but even then they loose more machines each fight.
- Reality hits humanity: radioactive contamination from the nukes used for the first monsters have made parts of the continent inhabitable, marine life probably has also been partially poisoned by radioactivity and monster toxic blood. All the relocating and resources needed for the Jaeger program must have pushed the world to its limits and it was not enough.

The jaegers are more ineffective with each monster so humanity refocuses their dwindling resources into a defensive wall to hide behind. I bet that it is full of movable cyclopean plasma cannons and the like. The super complex jaegers are just mobile platforms for those giant guns that can keep up with the fast kaijus, the wall is a cheaper way to do the same from a defensive standpoint: the monster gets close, weapons move close to it and they fire instead of having the expensive robots taking the fight to them.

The wall is also a way to make useful all the refugees from the destroyed cities. There is hunger in Del Toros world, so much that the opportunity to risk your life high up building a wall is good news since you will get to eat. Some parts of Honk Kong look like a neon shanty town. The world in Pacific Rim is going to hell so much that only people are making religions around the monsters.

And in that point were humanity has lost it’s self respect we find the last hope. The “resistance”; the idealistic nuts that don’t see that the only chance for the species is to hide. So forgotten they are that they need to sell dibs rights to the black market for the kaiju carcases. And here, after that bleak backdrop that Del Toro only hints visually and with a few words here and there we have the movie. An idealistic last stand that believes in punching problems in the face with a giant robot hand. frakk yea!!

Just stuff to nitpick for the sake of it:

- Wish that at least another robot had made it till the last fight. Loosing the Chinese and Russian so fast left me wanting more.
- The type 5 was not that special, yeah, it can stand a point black nuke, but other than that, it did not have anything special.
- The Spanish dub screwed up some of the characters for me. Here they lip sink perfectly but boy do they love overacting like in a soap opera. And they go crazy with eccentric characters. They completely fraked up the mad scientists. Any scene that had both was a headache inducing ordeal. Since I see nobody is complaining about those actors I guess I have another reason to watch the movie again, this time unsubbed!!

The Spanish dub screwed up some of the characters for me. Here they lip sink perfectly but boy do they love overacting like in a soap opera. And they go crazy with eccentric characters. They completely fraked up the mad scientists. Any scene that had both was a headache inducing ordeal. Since I see nobody is complaining about those actors I guess I have another reason to watch the movie again, this time unsubbed!!

You didn't read back more than a page, did you? There were plenty of us who were put off by the horrible dialog and gross overacting that plagues just about every scene that doesn't involve robots fighting monsters. The scientists are flat out horrid, and ruin every scene they are in. And it takes some [sarcasm] real directorial talent [/sarcasm] to get a sub-par performance out of Idris Elba, but somehow del Toro managed to do just that.

You didn't read back more than a page, did you? There were plenty of us who were put off by the horrible dialog and gross overacting that plagues just about every scene that doesn't involve robots fighting monsters. The scientists are flat out horrid, and ruin every scene they are in. And it takes some [sarcasm] real directorial talent [/sarcasm] to get a sub-par performance out of Idris Elba, but somehow del Toro managed to do just that.

We have seen two different movies then

Nooooooope, I actually I went back to page 19. No specific comment about the scientist in all those pages, one or two about the acting yes. And like I said, my problem is that the dubbers here overact and an overacted character gets +100 from the voice actor. Since noboby goes to tear them appart when they stand out soooo much in the Spanish version, then they really must not be that bad in the original version. The crazy scientist are part of the trope Sci-Fi movie tropes this movie drinks from, evidently they will be cooky. The voice actors just took that beyond annoying.