I finally saw it. It had everything in it that should make me love a movie, but the whole thing fell flat for me.

I found the universe that Del Toro created to be pretty interesting, and it seems like there would be a lot of good stories to tell, but the mediocre writing mixed with the mediocre acting made me wish that I'd waited to see it on DVD/Blu-ray. There just wasn't a single actor in the movie capable of carrying their part in such a way that made me care about anyone. I never felt any attachment to the characters.

Fights were pretty fun, but again, since I didn't give a crap, it was just empty eye candy.

Thanks! Hoped you enjoyed it.

I'm listed with the other Set Designers (there were 101 built sets!) alphabetical in that list within the Art Department. Was kind of hoping for a single line separated credit though ;-)

I'm surprised the Aussies complained about the fake accents and not the geographical error in the portrayal of Sydney. According to what someone posted on IMDb:

Errors in Geography

During the kaiju attack on Sydney, the kaiju attacks the city from the wrong direction. If it was coming from the ocean, it should pass the Sydney Opera House before reaching the Harbour Bridge - however, the shot of the kaiju attacking the city shows it bursting through the wall built behind the Harbour Bridge, with the Opera House framed in the foreground of the shot. Similarly, if the wall built to protect the city was constructed behind the Harbour Bridge, it would leave most of the city's Eastern Suburbs and Central Business District wide open to attack from the ocean.

I'm surprised the Aussies complained about the fake accents and not the geographical error in the portrayal of Sydney. According to what someone posted on IMDb:

Yeah, this shot shows it and the geography of the city seems to be well and truly screwed up anyway. I guess that most people assume that the harbour bridge and Opera House are nearly on the coast, but they are quite a way inland on the harbour.

Given the number of Aussies acting in Hollywood, the accents annoyed me more.

pacific_rim-1.jpg

Actually Warner doesn't knows they'll get the money with China.

Hollywood’s in need of a superhero - to recover its money from China

China is likely to become the world’s biggest film market within the next five years, making it a potential source of vast profits for Hollywood studios – but only if the Chinese decide to pay them. And, according to reports this week in the US trade papers Variety and The Hollywood Reporter, China stopped paying Hollywood for its movies months ago.

Remarkably, it seems that the studios have continued to send their big releases to Chinese cinemas, despite not having received a penny of their box-office takings since the end of last year. In several cases, the withheld payments are thought to total tens of millions of dollars, and all because of a dispute over a new tax.

Under the agreement, Beijing agreed to allow more overseas movies to be screened in Chinese cinemas than in previous years, and raised to 25 per cent the share of box-office takings to be returned to US studios.

Towards the end of 2012, however, the state-run China Film Group told studios that it intended to levy a 2 per cent value-added tax on each film release. Studios are refusing to pay the VAT, claiming it breaches the WTO deal. The ongoing dispute means Western studios have seen none of their agreed 25 per cent of Chinese box-office earnings for some of this year’s biggest releases.

Warner Brothers is probably owed more than $31m (£20m) for blockbusters including Man Of Steel and The Hobbit, while Sony has supposedly seen nothing for its James Bond movie Skyfall. Disney could be more than $30m out of pocket for Iron Man 3 alone, which made more than $121m in China, and 20th Century Fox has said it is still waiting for an estimated $23m return on its Chinese success with Life Of Pi.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/hollywoods-in-need-of-a-superhero--to-recover-its-money-from-china-8738630.html

While that's an interesting read, the studios are relatively assured they'll be getting their money. It doesn't really have any bearing on the success of Pacific Rim either as the revenues will still be counted toward the take regardless of how long it takes Warner to get those revenues.

Pacific Rim opened over here last night and I finally got to see it. I was expecting the screen to be a total sausage-fest but was surprised when I actually saw quite a lot of couples and even 2 or 3 families present.

The film was as I expected a perfect popcorn flick with all the requisite action sequences. I think some of the acting and characterization was less than stellar (Idris Elba was excellent though. forgot for a moment he was Stringer Bell once!) but I suppose in a film like this it doesn't really matter.

Just caught it today, though not a perfect film, I must say I enjoyed it a lot , though wifey complained about the sound being louder than it should ( she had her fingers in her ears almost the whole time)

I thought the ship the Mk III used as a club was exceptionally sturdy! LOL gotta find out the manufacturer. No way in hell it could remain intact after the 1st strike!

Just caught it today, though not a perfect film, I must say I enjoyed it a lot , though wifey complained about the sound being louder than it should ( she had her fingers in her ears almost the whole time)

I thought the ship the Mk III used as a club was exceptionally sturdy! LOL gotta find out the manufacturer. No way in hell it could remain intact after the 1st strike!

I highly doubt it would have survived being picked up and dragged, to say nothing of being used as a weapon.

Just one more thing we are expected to not think about.

Which is fine, if movies were just like real life...well they'd be less exciting.

But this one expected me not to think about anything. And for me at least, that's worse than being boring.

Yeah doubt it would survive even being swung... could have been made slightly less silly by having the jaegar hold it on with both arms in a present arms sort of position and then break up on the first hit to the kaiju. Maybe use a shard of it to stab it with a follow up then proceed normally.

It's a movie where guns didn't work so they created giant robots to punch things to death. This isn't a secret going into the movie. It seems like once you accept that logical jump into this genre, you really shouldn't get hung up on how well a ship would work as a weapon.

Yeah, i mean the wall idea is probably the silliest thing in the movie. Should have just mined the fissure's opening with automated drones with nukes.

They did mention in the film that they tried dropping nukes directly into the fissure to close the portal, but it didn't work. It was later revealed that...

The portal only works with kaiju DNA structure, so a Jaeger would need to fool the portal into thinking it's a kaiju. So Gipsy Danger got into the portal by jumping in with Slattern.

No what I meant is popping the kaijus themselves with nukes, not the hole while researching a better way to deal with em. Walling up ain't gonna solve anything.

I don't know if it was based on an earlier draft of the script or not, but according to the prequel comic that's exactly what they did do to the first kaijus to kill them. Since the kaiju kept coming and they were making cities uninhabitable every time they killed one, they had to switch to a different method.

Good luck trying to recover the money from the Chinese distributor :D

that would be a boneheaded move. Studios wont then allow them to play there

This is a discussion forum dude... I am not insulting any member of the board. The movie was lousy.

no worries dude we all know you went to see pain and gain many times while trying to cover your woody

I don't know if I'd call the movie lousy, but it definitely had problems. I enjoyed it enough to see it more than once, but I'm hesitant to call it a good movie, and can see where someone would not like it. It definitely would have shone with a tighter script/plot and less flat delivery.

I do appreciate that a lot of love went into making this movie, and I'm glad that it got made. Just hope if we get a sequel they tighten it up a bit.