That reminds me, another thing I hated:

The fact that the asian chick walks up to the landing helicopter with an umbrella... If you ever walk up to a landing helicopter, there is so much down force, loose pockets will be ripped off of your clothes. That umbrella would have been ripped to the frame as she walked out of the hanger.

Its in the *FUTURE*, they have solved *all* of those problems......

Are you hitting on me?

Secret desires exposed.

All I've got to say is this.....

JO0U6Rb.jpg

Are these meant to be in scale to ea other? Part of me wants to go: whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Whoa! Dude, I don't ever remember Golion being that large--anime magic/fudging or no. As a result, kinda makes the reference a little bit suspect; seem a bit askew...

_1218492568.jpgVoltron26.jpg

Edited by reddsun1

I think it's suppose to be to scale.

The big guy in the back is how many humans it would take to .. something. It's hard to read.

actual article here:

http://www.technewsdaily.com/18529-giant-robots-possible-pacific-rim.html

it's talking about how heavy a person would be if they were enlarged to the size of the robots in Pacific Rim

Weight is the critical issue. Steel is strong, but it's too heavy—its strength proportional to its weight is far too weak to create a giant, heavy robot.

"Beryllium is the best choice in theory," said Jekanthan Thangavelautham, a robotics postdoctoral associate at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. But he added that the metal's toxicity—it's corrosive to human skin and in dust form can be lethal when inhaled—could pose a problem. Titanium is another alternative, as is carbon- reinforced plastic.

Too bad he doesn't know about Chogokin.

Pacific Rim only opened here today and I managed to see it after work with some friends. Loved it, certainly up there with the better sci-fi action flicks.

The good: a lot of love went in to this project and it created a fitting atmosphere and feel, quite rare for a Hollywood production to capture the essence of foreign concepts. The two pilot formula was a nice way of exploring the human relationships. Another plus was the positive atmosphere of human cooperation, and no supernatural nonsense.

The bad: the acting was not exactly top notch. Nationalities were mostly caricatures, particularly the Russians who could have walked in from Rocky 4, the rude Australians and the eccentric English professor. Positive exception was Idris Elba who really managed to deliver his sometimes corny lines with grace.

The bad: the acting was not exactly top notch. Nationalities were mostly caricatures, particularly the Russians who could have walked in from Rocky 4, the rude Australians and the eccentric English professor. Positive exception was Idris Elba who really managed to deliver his sometimes corny lines with grace.

Just have to realize that this was based on over the top type anime, not just the machines but the characters. I thought I was going to be annoyed by the scientists in the beginning but I actually cracked up at them. I dunno why but I kinda saw them as Sheldon and Leonard in the future.

Dat truth.

I thought it was better than Robot Jox and worse than Iron Giant. The cliches, corny lines, and not-so great acting had me cringing throughout, to be honest. But I wouldn't exactly call the move bad...just mediocre.

Charlie Day stole the show in my opinion.

Just have to realize that this was based on over the top type anime, not just the machines but the characters. I thought I was going to be annoyed by the scientists in the beginning but I actually cracked up at them. I dunno why but I kinda saw them as Sheldon and Leonard in the future.

I think movies like Iron man and ID4 had a better balance with the main characters all being a bit quirky. In Pacific Rim the Gipsy Danger pilots and the commander were straight men while the others were mostly comic relief. The scientists themselves weren't so bad, I just think the Kaiju-drift subplot just fell out of tune with the tone of the movie. I feel that Gorman's Torchwood character Owen Harper would have meshed better with the storyline than the mad professor persona.

Saw it today with wife and son. We all really enjoyed it. Great summer movie with excellent set designs.

Son now wants a Gypsy Danger toy, I want Striker Eureka.

Wondering why when the Kaiju used its EMP weapon why the power on Hong Kong Island wasn't affected also.

Graham

Saw it today with wife and son. We all really enjoyed it. Great summer movie with excellent set designs.

Wondering why when the Kaiju used its EMP weapon why the power on Hong Kong Island wasn't affected also.

Graham

Because... Hey look, it's the Goodyear Blimp!

And they all lived happily ever after. The end.

Watching it again tomorrow, can't wait. Will probably notice some stuff I missed the first time round.

There needs to be a gurren lagann movie. With enough hot blooded GAR to make me weep like a little girl in the theater.

Watching it again tomorrow, can't wait. Will probably notice some stuff I missed the first time round.

There needs to be a gurren lagann movie. With enough hot blooded GAR to make me weep like a little girl in the theater.

there was, two of them even.

Graham

Glad you changed your mind and like it! Were the audience in Hong Kong psyched to see their city get trashed? Too bad the city scenes look more like Chinatown than Hong Kong.