• 2 weeks later...

There are only three kaiju and two are in the same fight scene. Plus it isn't that different from the first trailer, I'm kind of iffy as to how much action will be in the movie.

Considering that this is the footage they showed before the first official trailer was released, I'm not surprised.

Yeah, which side of the island were they referring to?

Good point, haha! The camera was pointing at Hong Kong island, which by itself may have a population of 2 million (Hong Kong as a whole is a city of 7+ million).

I really hope the movie doesn't make silly mistakes like this.

Nah, still not digging it. Still don't like the mecha designs or the silly two person control set up. The rest of the trailer didn't do much for me either.

And I love giant robots and grew up on Maxinger Z, Great Mazinger and Combattler V.

Graham

I think it looks pretty exciting. Hopefully the story isn't banal. I think the more footage of the Jaegers I see in the film the better they look. Even Gipsy Danger, which I haven't cared for in promotional pics, looks better within the context of the film.

Still no Aussie robot slammin. Are they gonna bring him out in the end and tear crap up. looks awesome,cant wait to see it. even if they do spam the US one abit.

I think it's in the trailer for a bit... the one that has a chest full of cannons/launchers/tubes of doom.

I think it looks pretty exciting. Hopefully the story isn't banal. I think the more footage of the Jaegers I see in the film the better they look. Even Gipsy Danger, which I haven't cared for in promotional pics, looks better within the context of the film.

I'm not expecting anything more than a modernized 70s monster movie story out of it. As long as it succeeds on that level I'll be happy.

Edited by Syngyne

Still no Aussie robot slammin. Are they gonna bring him out in the end and tear crap up. looks awesome,cant wait to see it. even if they do spam the US one abit.

How about a theater banner?

(spoiler'd for size)

pacific_rim_banner_1_20130430_1807391588

To be honest, I'm not anticipating much from this movie, other than impressive SFX of Giant Robot on Kaiju action. I expect an insipid story with a tissue-paper thin plot, two dimensional characters, bad (over)acting, and the prerequisite romantic schmaltz thrown in, with silly mech control interface choreography and nausea inducing camera work on some of the action sequences for good measure. And that line "Go Big or Go Extinct" reminds me of "Size Matters" from the excruciatingly bad Mathew Broderick Godzilla movie... the history of this genre is not very encouraging.

But this is from GDT, so maybe I'll be pleasently surprised. Aesthetic sendibilities regarding the mechanical designs aside, it sure looks badass.