Don't you worry your talented little head wm cheng,the marketing campagin is working well and that trailer was definitety a hit. Odds are very good movie goers will be flocking to this one and I'll be there opening night. All the film sites I frequent are filled with excitement and praise for this film. You've done good, so relax, positive word of mouth is high.

Thanks! :p

(its hard not to take some of the comments personally)

Fah, haters gonna hate. It's the internets, it happens :)

I think if this film is as good as my hopes, it'll turn out much like Firefly/Serenity. It'll bring out that geek appreciation and love of the technology that so many other films can't achieve. If Pacific Rim can hook it's audience emotionally, this will be a big winner.

I thought it look fantastic (but I always knew it would).

ILM really out did themselves (although there was a little too much Transformer motion in the last shot). I thought it look visually spectacular.

It comes out on my birthday! Please everyone, at least go see it to make up your minds (if anything, at least show Hollywood in the pocket books that there is indeed a market for robot movies - then they might make something you'd like, or at the very least, pay for my toy collection :p )

That trailer is beyond awesome and a dream come true for a giant robot fan like me. Just that deployment scene made feel like a kid. FINALLY the movie I wanted to see, at least in theory judging by that trailer.

BTW, since there is a lot of talk about anime designs and western designs here and what should and should not be, let me broaden the spectrum: some of the imagery reminded me of the gigantic walking cathedrals full of guns called “Titans” from Warhammer 40k. I’m reading right now “Titanicus” and the part about logistics of moving those huge bots reminds me of some of the scenes in the trailer.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Titan

These designs are old and clear examples of early western mecha but show that the interpretation of a “giant robot” can vary a lot between cultures. The western “grittyness” goes more for military style and a more functional and simple form (well, in the Titans of Warhammer 40k you sprinkle religious “god machine” crazyness).

Anime robots are big in some parts of the geek world… but that world is incredibly small compared to the real world. I can understand that the people putting up the money would go for less radical designs instead of subcultural Japanese aesthetics that are little known to the general world public. As we see in the trailer (“rocket puuuuuuunch” hehe), Super Robot tropes can still be attached to western interpretations of mechas.

Edited by Twoducks

I thought it look fantastic (but I always knew it would).

ILM really out did themselves (although there was a little too much Transformer motion in the last shot). I thought it look visually spectacular.

It comes out on my birthday! Please everyone, at least go see it to make up your minds (if anything, at least show Hollywood in the pocket books that there is indeed a market for robot movies - then they might make something you'd like, or at the very least, pay for my toy collection :p )

Dude you were a part of this movie and you live in toronto Let me take you out for drink to shake your hand! This is the door opener to other mecha/Anime based movies and it does justice to that crap pile called bayformers

As relatively awesome as that trailer is, I personally want to walk into hollywood and pistol whip the next dipshit who thinks intakes are gunports, and decides to mount twin machine guns in them. <_< For all that giant robot coolness, that's just painfully facepalm-worthy. They did it in Avengers and that one Die Hard movie with the JSF, and somehow, the idea that that's how airplanes and modern gatling guns work keeps hanging on.

Is it really too much to ask for ANY movie to give a nice solid "BRRRRVVVT" when a fighter fires a gun? Honestly, it would be so much more impressive if they used the actual sounds. An A-10 unloading it's gun is one of those sounds that people need to learn to be afraid of. :lol:

Aside from that though.. I want to like the idea, but it feels like this could turn into G-Gundam VS Godzilla. The idea of a neural interface for a fighting robot makes plenty of sense, but if you've got two people, won't that be like trying to network PC and Mac computers together and trying to run a piece of software built for Linux? Wouldn't it make more sense to leave one person in charge of managing all the other important bits making the thing run? I just don't see how linking two people at the brain stem would ever help anything.

As relatively awesome as that trailer is, I personally want to walk into hollywood and pistol whip the next dipshit who thinks intakes are gunports, and decides to mount twin machine guns in them. <_< For all that giant robot coolness, that's just painfully facepalm-worthy. They did it in Avengers and that one Die Hard movie with the JSF, and somehow, the idea that that's how airplanes and modern gatling guns work keeps hanging on.

Is it really too much to ask for ANY movie to give a nice solid "BRRRRVVVT" when a fighter fires a gun? Honestly, it would be so much more impressive if they used the actual sounds. An A-10 unloading it's gun is one of those sounds that people need to learn to be afraid of. :lol:

Aside from that though.. I want to like the idea, but it feels like this could turn into G-Gundam VS Godzilla. The idea of a neural interface for a fighting robot makes plenty of sense, but if you've got two people, won't that be like trying to network PC and Mac computers together and trying to run a piece of software built for Linux? Wouldn't it make more sense to leave one person in charge of managing all the other important bits making the thing run? I just don't see how linking two people at the brain stem would ever help anything.

Could be a DR ACTIVE ACTIVE framework

Dude you were a part of this movie and you live in toronto Let me take you out for drink to shake your hand! This is the door opener to other mecha/Anime based movies and it does justice to that crap pile called bayformers

Considering it was those movies that probably got this movie green lit.

Wait, what?

Kawamori helped with t he g1 designs.

i keep thinking robot jox. and how do repair/ maintain it.

Although I'm interested in this movie, I thought the trailer was terrible. I could barely tell what was going on with so many quick cuts and every scene being fast and dark. I hope the actual movie isn't an eye-straining headache inducing mess of nothing but darkly lit scenes, action scenes that move at warp speed, super fast cuts, and cameras that shake and move around constantly.

Edited by Vifam7

Del Toro does a commentary for the trailer...lol

http://www.slashfilm...ic-rim-trailer/

Let me know how it is...they won't let me view it from my location :)

Whoa, you guys are in Toronto? Uh oh, I'm seeing a future beer and wing night coming from this reveal :)

Edited by Mr March

BTW, since there is a lot of talk about anime designs and western designs here and what should and should not be, let me broaden the spectrum: some of the imagery reminded me of the gigantic walking cathedrals full of guns called “Titans” from Warhammer 40k. I’m reading right now “Titanicus” and the part about logistics of moving those huge bots reminds me of some of the scenes in the trailer.

These designs are old and clear examples of early western mecha but show that the interpretation of a “giant robot” can vary a lot between cultures. The western “grittyness” goes more for military style and a more functional and simple form (well, in the Titans of Warhammer 40k you sprinkle religious “god machine” crazyness).

Anime robots are big in some parts of the geek world… but that world is incredibly small compared to the real world. I can understand that the people putting up the money would go for less radical designs instead of subcultural Japanese aesthetics that are little known to the general world public. As we see in the trailer (“rocket puuuuuuunch” hehe), Super Robot tropes can still be attached to western interpretations of mechas.

When you think about it, there really is no "western" mechanical aesthetic (using this term loosely in our now-globalized world). "Western" mecha design varies vastly from one production to another. We can see clown-colored and hyper-stylized (example, Iron Man), to a combination of style and function (example, Pacific Rim or District 9) and lastly to the ugly, walking-tank, realist aesthetic (example Avatar or The Matrix sequels). This vast difference in style is why some anime mecha fans find themselves disappointed that not every mecha is painted in bright primary colors and slick, hyper-stylization. But we can't be blamed for our preferences of one style over another. The whole point of allowing individuals to produce entertainment using their unique vision means releasing product that won't appeal everyone. I'm actually enjoying the interesting mixture of sensibilities in the Pacific Rim mecha. Perhaps I might look at Super Robots in a much more charitable way :)

To be honest I'm more thrilled by the few images of the kaiju in this trailer than by any of the robot designs. But I'm still really looking forward to this, because Del Toro has always delivered interesting movies for me

Edited by Frogze

Does it make me a terrible person that I went to see The Hobbit on openning day and the biggest nerd erection I got was about the Pacific Rim trailer. Oh My God, Why aren't more people hiring the actress that played the voice of GlaDoS to do Everything!

I hear she's a b**** to work with, always making people jump through hoops on a whim. ;)

I didn't want to hurt the feelings of any person involved in this movie but I'm brutally honest about it. I think is good that an Industry with so much money is interested in this kind of projects but I've to be honest with myself and the truth is that I hate those designs. The military and realistic look isn't necessary equal to ugly and bland, the designs in Gasaraki and Flag are two good examples of utilitarian robots that look good(they were inspired by American Military actually), the artist behind Ghost in the shell like those kind of designs too (the Spider Tank in the first movie is gorgeous and totally plausible).

Kawamori was the master mind behind Optimus Prime, he worked for Takara Tomy in the toy brand before the animated series and was involved in G1 with other talented designers like Shinji Aramaki. For me Kawamori is a genius and IMO his designs are timeless.

HA HA HA ! (Baron Ashura style)

Hmm..... Mazinger, Getter Robo, Eva all in one. This will be a huge smash hit. I won't be surprised if Bandai/ Banpresto acquire the rights to add it in the SRW series.

ROCKETO PUNCH !

No, none of those things. This is purely Bayformers + Godannar.

I will say this, I hated the initial Bayformers designs then they grew on me. I think the designs here look great for not being based on anything specific and will be a lot of fun to watch and I'm sure will grow on most people as well. This being said plus Sony mysteriously trademarking a Gundam film or something might finally gives us the mech era of Hollywood filmmaking. Let's see what happens.

The trailer was entertaining, high production values, certainly does not look cheap.

Appears to have some great moments but too much cheese.

For me personally, if I had to fight giant monsters in the Pacific, I want something faster, less clunky.

post-8486-0-40810300-1355405066_thumb.jpg

Less clunky?

Maybe robot films going blockbuster-mainstream means the designs don't have to please the niche mecha fan community, like the Bayformers they only need to work cinematically, i.e. as a general impression, to the general audience. We had this in Real Steel and in del Toro's own Hellboy: The Golden Army. The robots are plot devices, and not the stars of the show.

If Pacific Rim is done right, the robots won't be stars...they'll be characters. There is plenty of vapid, disposable entertainment with cool-looking robots to satisfy fans who are hung up on nothing more than mecha desgins. Pacific Rim is trying to be a real film and a love letter to one of our favorite genres. That's why many of us are so excited for the potential of the film and can feel the love inside that trailer. If we want a film with an actual engaging story, good acting, characters we care about and respect shown for the giant robot genre, sadly Pacific Rim might be one of only a precious few. A lot is riding on this film and personally I'd have watched Pacific Rim even if the robots looked like Tetsuwan Atomu.:)

Maybe robot films going blockbuster-mainstream means the designs don't have to please the niche mecha fan community, like the Bayformers they only need to work cinematically, i.e. as a general impression, to the general audience. We had this in Real Steel and in del Toro's own Hellboy: The Golden Army. The robots are plot devices, and not the stars of the show.

But the designs for the robots in Hellboy 2 were fantastic looking.

These just look so... generic. And blah.

Don't get me wrong. GdT is a great storyteller and I am sure Pacific Rim will be a great story. But after so many visually-stunning movies with creative and exciting visual designs done under his watch, seeing the mecha designs for this almost felt like a punch in the gut.

And, let's be honest, they better have a pretty good reason for the dual-pilot neural-interface thing, because seeing two dudes in the cockpit sphere walking in unison looks pretty cheesy.