I'd really like a highly detailed Coyote Tango or Striker Eureka toy.

I'm actually kinda Meh on the Gypsy Danger design.

And why were the F-22's shown firing guns from both sides of the plane? :p

And why did the F-22's only do absolute point blank range gun attacks instead of stand off attacks with guided bombs and missiles?

I'm sure a couple of 1,000lb JDAM launched from stand off range would have been more effective than a stream of 20mm shells fired from when you are in range of the Kaiju's claws :D

I guess I shouldn't think about this too much :D

And why no A-10s?

Graham

@Graham and @raptormesh, There's nothing wrong with thinking about this film critically, but just realize that like every other movie which provokes these same kinds of questions one should understand the point behind showing what they did. The opening montage was to show the audience the inadequacy of the conventional military as succinctly as possible. Like all films, the trick is to limit the exposition :)

Btw, they did not state in the film the Kaiju were impervious; quite the opposite. They "eventually" killed the first of the Kaiju. But as was stated in film, the losses suffered BEFORE they killed the Kaiju was enormous. A deadlier weapon was required to kill Kaiju before entire cities were lost; hence, the Jaegers.

It's a "Super Robot" trope - every piece of conventional hardware is ineffective, therefore: Giant Robots! it needs no more logic beyond that. :lol: The sword scene is also part of it, has anybody seen an episode of Voltron where they go for the Blazing Sword right off the bat?

I love this movie, I need it on BD. (We got gypped with an alternate dub, I need to see it with its original/western audio track.)

I put it in the Super Robot category - "just enough hand-wave, not too much hard science".

If I had anything to complain about, it's that the movie was pretty tame when it came to upping the ante on "Ultimate Weapon".

I found some things silly. There'd be no way an 80 meter tall mech would survive crashing into the sea, and other things that defy physics, like "10 diesel engines per muscle strand". But hey, "Super Robot rules". B))

The "because analog" explaination is about the worst incidence of "we think our audience are morons" moment in the entire script. That's not a hand wave; that's a hand slap.

Yeah, that had me rolling my eyes. Those holographic displays ain't running on gears & springs.

The "because analog" explaination is about the worst incidence of "we think our audience are morons" moment in the entire script. That's not a hand wave; that's a hand slap.

Lol, I just assumed they meant some other kind of analog.

As for the sword thing I figured it was a new addition that he forgot about because he wasn't used to it on the old Gipsy Danger and she forgot about cuz she was caught up in her first battle.

Edited by Raptor One

I'd have thought that military hardware like the Jaegers would be hardened against EMP, but then I guess they weren't expecting that the Kaiju would have an EMP weapon.

And yes, I groaned out loud about the analog thing as well.

Graham

The sword didn't bother me nearly as much. I took it as being a new addition that Raleigh didn't know about. Mako was too new and overwhelmed by everything to remember right away. Obviously contrived but plausible enough. Basic logic would be to put those plasma casters and missiles on every Jaegar and use stand off / ranged tactics unless surprised.

I definitely want to catch it at least once more in the theater, both for support and to catch some detail maybe in an IMAX showing. Hope it lasts another couple weeks.

I think that goes to my single biggest nit with the movie's plot. I wish it hadn't been the major ultimate go through the rift business. Just a day in the life of Jaegars fighting Kaiju before/without the wall silliness or the major category 4/5 Kaiju. The cat 3 vs Mark I/II seems like it would have been exciting enough for an intro.

Just watched this today. Really awesome film, it hit all the right notes if you're a anime fan! Props to the art and visual fx department! The angles really gave it a great sense of scale too.

I could see this having an anime adaptation really easily.

Saw in it regular 2D, but it seems like 3D IMAX is the way to go. Wish I had read the posts here before watching, but didn't want to spoil myself just in case.

Oh, and this:

I've seen this film three times, yet one scene has been bothering me for days:

Was the Mako introduction scene originally supposed to be in Japanese? Because the dialogue was obviously dubbed over in English. Even Raleigh was "dubbed over", giving the impression that he was originally speaking to Mako in Japanese.

Apparently yes, according to Kotaku:

http://kotaku.com/pacific-rims-most-emotional-line-was-left-untranslated-789403352

That sounds really awesome. Unfortunately, in my theatre, it was dubbed over, so it looked really weird and out of sync, and totally lost its intended effect.

This is a must-buy Blu Ray for me, whatever special edition gets released. I do hope the line above doesn't get dubbed over.. and would it be too hard to wish for a Japanese track too?

http://kotaku.com/pacific-rims-most-emotional-line-was-left-untranslated-789403352

That sounds really awesome. Unfortunately, in my theatre, it was dubbed over, so it looked really weird and out of sync, and totally lost its intended effect.

This is a must-buy Blu Ray for me, whatever special edition gets released. I do hope the line above doesn't get dubbed over.. and would it be too hard to wish for a Japanese track too?

In Italy that scene is definitely in Japanese with subtitles. Mako says something in Japanese to Pentecost and Raleigh responds in Japanese. Don't know why they dubbed it over in English. Perhaps they thought it may have been too much for the "average person"? Bah...

Just watched this today. Really awesome film, it hit all the right notes if you're a anime fan! Props to the art and visual fx department! The angles really gave it a great sense of scale too.

I could see this having an anime adaptation really easily.

Saw in it regular 2D, but it seems like 3D IMAX is the way to go. Wish I had read the posts here before watching, but didn't want to spoil myself just in case.

Oh, and this:

This is really surprising. The theater I went to had the subtitles and no dubbing. What would be the point of doing that?

Weird that they dubbed it. I wonder how they choose which location gets the dubbed version. The whole point of the exchange was to show that Raleigh was more worldly or more than just a dumb grunt by being able to understand Japanese. Which contradicts the beginning where he talks about him and his brother not being good at anything else but piloting Jaegers. Maybe going around building walls allowed him to learn languages.