Saw it Sunday night and thoroughly enjoyed it! I've never been a huge fan of Giant Monster/Mecha types but I still thought it was heaps of fun! I did watch a whole lotta Voltron as a kid though so maybe that helped?

And huge congrats to you WM Cheng for those designs. I'll have to watch it multiple times but so far I've picked out Macross verniers and a definite Macross feel. Nicely done! B))

My only valid complaint (there were of course things you could poke holes in but this one actually annoyed me): Those horrible Aussie accents! I mean seriously, where were they supposed to be from?

Yeah, this movie is full of nationality miscasts:

• A Brit playing an American pilot (Raleigh)
  • A Mexican-American playing a Chinese-American (Tendo)
  • An American playing a veteran Aussie pilot (Herc)
  • A Brit playing an arrogant Aussie pilot (Chuck)
  • Canadians playing Russian pilots (Aleksis and Sasha)

But then again, it's Hollywood. What were you expecting?

I thought it was a fun summer movie with riveting fighting scenes, all of them. I was amazed by the battles' epic scale and wasn't really bothered by the overall acting as I just felt it worked ok on its own.

But then I got hit by the massively cheesy ending.

For me it was a pretty good summer flick with outstanding visuals, I just wish I got out of the theatre hungry for more, but it didn't happen

How would YOU cast them A7?

:)

I don't cast movies unless they are desperate for a casting call, such as Robotech. :p

After watching this film five times, I wasn't feeling that Mazinger Z vibe everyone else had mentioned (aside from the Gipsy Danger docking sequence being a Hover Pileder homage). And I still don't see any comparison with Evangelion at all. If anything, some of the fight scenes reminded me of this old anime:

Edited by areaseven

I don't cast movies unless they are desperate for a casting call, such as Robotech. :p

After watching this film five times, I wasn't feeling that Mazinger Z vibe everyone else had mentioned (aside from the Gipsy Danger docking sequence being a Hover Pileder homage). And I still don't see any comparison with Evangelion at all. If anything, some of the fight scenes reminded me of this old anime:

I think it's the whole giant monsters sent by aliens trying to wipe out all life on earth; but because their arrivals are so evenly spaced out and conveniently predictable that it's possible to fight them with strategically deployed giant robots that cost more than the GDP of some countries which are inexplicably most effective at fighting said monsters when they're using knives and fists.

My eva connection is the mind syncing. Now if they make kaiju+jaeger, then they have to sync with a monster. The other curious thing :

Before pentacoswhatever blew up, he said "you can find me in the drift".

Will his consciousness be floating around somewhere? Can they put it in a kaiju so it will still kind be syncing with another human until it goes "berserk"?

My eva connection is the mind syncing. Now if they make kaiju+jaeger, then they have to sync with a monster. The other curious thing :

Before pentacoswhatever blew up, he said "you can find me in the drift".

Will his consciousness be floating around somewhere? Can they put it in a kaiju so it will still kind be syncing with another human until it goes "berserk"?

nah, it's just the "memories" part he was referring to.

I still have to wait another week...UGhhhh!!!

August 9th for me. They will be showing the IMAX 3D here in Sapporo (at United Cinema Sapporo Factory), but watching 3D for a long time really bothers me. I even feel a little funky after Disneyland 3D shows. Probably end up seeing it at Sapporo Cinema Frontier.

Pacific Rim as expected doing well outside the U.S. With the 183 million it's grossed so far, it's nearly broken even. And it's yet to open in China, Japan, Brazil and most of Europe.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=pacificrim.htm

I still have to wait another week...UGhhhh!!!

It hasn't come close to breaking even. From another forum:

Cinemas take their cut of the box office, rule of thumb is 50% (in actuality studios get a lot less from China). Production budget doesn't include Prints and Advertising - when the MPAA stopped reporting statistics in 2009 the average P&A spend was $65mil, so you're probably looking at ~$300mil all up in costs which would need ~$550-600mil worldwide to break even on ticket sales alone. Fortunately we have other markets as well...

It hasn't come close to breaking even. From another forum:

Ouch. I didn't know it worked that way. I really, really hope it does well and get's it's money back because I'd like to see more movies like that being made.

I must say Im pretty disappointed its not pulling in the numbers. Transformers does well but this doesnt. This really is a fun movie. Bows head in shame to humanity!

For those still looking for the 18" Gipsy Danger, Toywiz preorder is $84.99. Cheapest place I could find it online.

Still holding out for Hot Toys or SOC. Toywiz products are kinda of a dud

I must say Im pretty disappointed its not pulling in the numbers. Transformers does well but this doesnt. This really is a fun movie. Bows head in shame to humanity!

Still holding out for Hot Toys or SOC. Toywiz products are kinda of a dud

Brand recognition is a powerful thing, who cares about something called Pacific Rim when Grown Ups 2 must have been good enough to get a sequel.

I finally got around to seeing PR and it was a fun movie, hopefully if the second movie does get made they will work more on the plot and characters.