> Hollywood makes movies for the overseas audience these days. It's their fail safe for flops. Their will def. be a sequel or two.

I wouldn't count on it. Overseas sales are expected to PAD the numbers and kick in that extra bit of profit, if a movie does not AT LEAST pay for itself in US tickets sales it is a very long shot for a follow up.

Saw it

What I liked:

• The robots. They were better than the whirling piles of garbage the Transformers were in the live action movie series.

What I DID NOT like:

• The characters
  • The dialogue
  • The drawn out fight scenes
  • The fact that they lose a boxing match that has gone on for like 20 min, THEN use the sword... stupid (maybe this was some Voltron Trib)
  • The chiche of sci-fi lately with just blowing up big cities
  • The monsters
  • The comic relief scientists
  • The comic relief dead parts dealer
  • The comic relief dead parts dealer's gold shoes which HAD to be focused on two F-ing times
  • The comic relief baby monster...
  • The hole in the plot that they are all clones, except for the baby one that was born... idiots that don't even know what they are writing
  • The slapstick moments like making the Newton Pendulum swing in the office
  • The racism of having the russians be all stoic and angry looking, the Aussies being fist fighters, and the asians being like ninjas
  • The cliche of saying "with our global warming and pollution we have practically tera-formed this world for the aliens. Just HAD to throw a political message in there eh!?

This movie was a steaming pile of feces. I want two hours of my life back.

Aren't you forgetting something?:

• No Schwarzenegger

You are right... No Schwarzenegger = Not a good movie

Still, I like some other sh1t, but NOT Pacific Rim

Shouldn't Raleigh have known about the sword? Since there's no secrets in the drift & all. And dang, that kaiju flies fast!

In rare agreement with Agent One, I also thought the pregnant kaiju was BS, only there as a pointless gag.

I had to laugh when they bisected the kaiju in the last scene. I leaned over to my friend & said "that's so Voltron!"

Totally getting this on DVD, might pick up the soundtrack by the weekend.

I don't get it... cloning just produces an identical organism, complete with reproductive systems - nowhere does anyone ever say clones can't breed. Why can't a cloned Kaiju reproduce?

BECAUSE I SAID SO! ;)

A lot of scifi is about making up the rules as you go along. It's good people ask questions though - even though it's not the kind of movie that prompts deep introspection.

I know I'll be getting a bluray version of this eventually, so I can watch it in the privacy of my home and rewind to watch some of the action sequences a few times.

Saw it again, this time in IMAX 3D, certainly understand now about missing details from the 2D version.

Really enjoyed it the 2nd time around and found that I wasn't as annoyed by things that bothered me during my first viewing.

What did stand out was how empty the theatre was, maybe because it was a 9 pm Sunday showing but it made me think back on the discussions around profitability and the possibility for a sequel or franchise.

That said, a definite buy for my collection when it comes out on Blu-ray.

-b.

Saw it

What I liked:

• The robots. They were better than the whirling piles of garbage the Transformers were in the live action movie series.

What I DID NOT like:

I think you also missed The Genius Idea of the Anti Kaiju Wall. An X-tall wall (5 years in the making) to keep out monsters. Hoping they cannot fly. Which they do. Oww

I think you also missed The Genius Idea of the Anti Kaiju Wall. An X-tall wall (5 years in the making) to keep out monsters. Hoping they cannot fly. Which they do. Oww

Or climb. Or just plow through it.

That story device makes no sense, and is just bad writing.

Saw it

• The racism of having the russians be all stoic and angry looking, the Aussies being fist fighters,

If you knew anything about Australia you would know that it wasn't any fist fighting cliche that we were going to be offended about. Those accents though.....

Saw it

• The cliche of saying "with our global warming and pollution we have practically tera-formed this world for the aliens. Just HAD to throw a political message in there eh!?

I would prefer a movie that says something rather than a film that doesn't say *anything*. Go back to Bayformers Agent One.

Saw it. Enjoyed it. I wholly understand where the criticisms are coming from. But it has so much fun playing up every giant robot and giant monster anime/movie trope that I couldn't help but smile even as I shook my head.

But I really enjoyed Idris Elba. He's rapidly becoming my go-to actor that I'll go out of my way to watch perform. I also enjoyed the emotion behind some of the words, even if the dialog itself was corney.

And

I'm absurdly happy that Raileigh and Mako didn't become romantically involved magically at the movie's end. I'm sick to death of that trope

If the kaiju fetus had been truly ready to fight, I could see it as a booby trap or something. From the drift scene, we see that the kaiju are manufactured, then stored on big "conveyor belts" while the aliens romp about. At least that's what I thought I saw. It just seems like there was no reason or opportunity for it to become pregnant - except for a quick joke sequence.

Maybe it's that my son is due to be born within a week, but umbilical strangulation just isn't funny to me. That may have just soured a scene that others found hilarious.

Guillermo maybe planning for the sequel. Here is what he said IIRC.

Since they can drift with Kaiju, the sequel may involve Kaiju being used to battle the other Kaiju. The Jaeger may now be pilotted by one person. And the Kaiju in the other dimension may used the technology from Gypsy to build mecha Kaiju.

Guillermo maybe planning for the sequel. Here is what he said IIRC.

Since they can drift with Kaiju, the sequel may involve Kaiju being used to battle the other Kaiju. The Jaeger may now be pilotted by one person. And the Kaiju in the other dimension may used the technology from Gypsy to build mecha Kaiju.

Which would bring this closer to how evas are. Hope it makes enough for a sequel.

Haven't seen the movie but it sounds like Guillermo is making fun of US immigration policy...

Or it could be echoing the French Maginot Line or the German Atlantic Wall... and the ultimate failure of defensive tactics like that.

Maybe they were planning on putting battleship turrets and missile launchers on it, just hand't gotten that far yet? I wonder if we'll get a glimpse of the political decision process if we get a sequel. Perhaps this could be a subplot.

The kaiju were getting progressively stronger plus attacks weren't as widespread. They also thought the kaiju they were "natural". Seems like the wall building was a measure to be defensive and put people to work. Of course once the kaiju got to lvl 4 the walls were moot.

If you knew anything about Australia you would know that it wasn't any fist fighting cliche that we were going to be offended about. Those accents though.....

I would prefer a movie that says something rather than a film that doesn't say *anything*. Go back to Bayformers Agent One.

Are you hitting on me?

I'm curious for those of you that have seen this what your take on Ron Perlman's character is when he took his glasses off and said...

Something to the effect of "I've already done that its not a good idea"? I know at first he was talking about the difference between a private, and public shelter, but I'm wondering if it could have a double meaning that he tried to drift with a kaiju too? His eye is messed up too, and he seems to know exactly what the consequences are for what the scientist did.

Edited by renegadeleader1

Did they ever explain how a mere 8 helicopters are carrying these huge robots?

The carrying copters looked like Chinooks in some scenes, but there were a lot of Pave Lows as well..but even if we give them the lifting capacity of the largest extant helo, the Mi-26, it would take 90 of them to lift something with a weight of 1980 tons. That was the wiki spec...does the movie give a substantially lower weight that I missed. Because that was one part of the movie that really struck me as stupid every time they showed it.

The Wall just drove the plot.

You have to set up a danger to overcome in the final scenes.

If the Jaegars just keep winning, why watch the movie? other than for Robots kicking ass.

The Jaegars were losing faster and faster and they started de-funding the project. This also sets up tension between some of the main characters.

It sounds like a dumbass idea a politican would think up... just build a giant wall. haha.

Maybe the Helicoptors had anti gravity engines, or the Jaegers have some extra repulsion to aid in carrying them. Obviously the technology is beyond ours. Doesn't really matter.

Edited by Gakken85

That reminds me, another thing I hated:

The fact that the asian chick walks up to the landing helicopter with an umbrella... If you ever walk up to a landing helicopter, there is so much down force, loose pockets will be ripped off of your clothes. That umbrella would have been ripped to the frame as she walked out of the hanger.

I'm curious for those of you that have seen this what your take on Ron Perlman's character is when he took his glasses off and said...

Something to the effect of "I've already done that its not a good idea"? I know at first he was talking about the difference between a private, and public shelter, but I'm wondering if it could have a double meaning that he tried to drift with a kaiju too? His eye is messed up too, and he seems to know exactly what the consequences are for what the scientist did.

Drifting with a kaiju was a bad idea is the understanding I got the 2x that I saw it. He did show his eye, and said he tried it only once.