Saw it and enjoyed it as well. It definately could have used a stronger dose of GAR, but I suppose that's just a concept that continues to elude western directors. This movie had a STRONG Robot Jox vibe, I mean really strong. Aside from that, I think I pegged it pretty well with my comparisons to Godannar. My only real gripe was

that freakin' British scientist, he was 100% 60's shlock, nad has no place in a modern film

, but aside from that, I wouldn't kick this film off my bluray shelf.

I've seen this film three times, yet one scene has been bothering me for days:

Was the Mako introduction scene originally supposed to be in Japanese? Because the dialogue was obviously dubbed over in English. Even Raleigh was "dubbed over", giving the impression that he was originally speaking to Mako in Japanese.

I've seen this film three times, yet one scene has been bothering me for days:

Was the Mako introduction scene originally supposed to be in Japanese? Because the dialogue was obviously dubbed over in English. Even Raleigh was "dubbed over", giving the impression that he was originally speaking to Mako in Japanese.

I got that impression too.

I thought the film was out of sync when I saw it, but a few seconds later, everything was back to normal. I figured it was some kind of homage to the Godzilla film dubs.

PS: I Saw it again & I saw more Macross. :lol:

Center console.

I got that impression too.

I thought the film was out of sync when I saw it, but a few seconds later, everything was back to normal. I figured it was some kind of homage to the Godzilla film dubs.

PS: I Saw it again & I saw more Macross. :lol:

Center console.

Well...

Reportedly, the U.S. and Canada releases have that scene in Japanese with English subtitles. Also, in the scene where Pentecost says goodbye, Mako says goodbye to him in Japanese (with no subtitles).

Also, no offense or anything, but the Chinese and Russian dialogues sounded more like gibberish than anything. In the scene where Tendo tells everyone to evacuate the control room (according to the subtitles), it doesn't sound like he's speaking Chinese. The triplets aboard Crimson Typhoon say, "Thundercloud..." something-something, which also does not sound Chinese. Well, that's just my only major gripe about the movie.

Hey numbnuts did you even bother to read the article you linked to? The film didn't lag that far behind Grown Ups 2, and is still projected to make over 400 million world wide according to the article. That would be a modest success. This is a movie that due to word of mouth will stay strong over the next couple of weeks giving it some legs. Then there would be the dvd sales which will be huge.

Edited by renegadeleader1

It would've been fun if the battle commands were voice activated, so they would've had to shout the attacks. That definitely would amp up the cheese factor, but we'd be more likely to have the "gar" moment.

And I wanted to see more Cherno Alpha.

The Russian and Chinese fights should have been longer since they hyped up how awesome the Thundercloud formation was and how the Russians held the line in Russia for years by themselves.

But that was a FUN movie to watch. Can't wait for the Bluray.

I dug the heck outta this film. It was fun and suspenseful. Yes a bit cheesy at times but I think that was part of its charm. Felt like a movie I can show to my kids later when they get older and not have to FF scenes. Seeing the mecha CGI and movement made me swoon since it was what I envisioned TF to look like...

The Russian and Chinese fights should have been longer since they hyped up how awesome the Thundercloud formation was and how the Russians held the line in Russia for years by themselves.

But that was a FUN movie to watch. Can't wait for the Bluray.

That would have been cool but I think that was a time full of Lvl 1 -3. The lvl 4s monsters seemed quite a step up from the past.

SPOILERS

Took two of my girls to see this yesterday. They loved it. I loved it! Although I do acknowledge that Guillermo is speaking directly to people like me, but I thank him for it.

The only thing I didn't like was that many of the Kaiju VS Jaeger scenes were at night or in the overcast rain, or in the night whilst it's raining. I think this was done because for various compositional issues it helped sell scale and effects, however I found it a little frustrating. There were a few VERY short scenes of Striker Eureka in Sydney Harbour, but these seemed to be on television screens. Hopefully - if a sequel is green lit - we might spend a little more time in the sun.

But everything else was fantastic, and it was a relief not to have a 'love scene' shoehorned in. I found it interesting that the real flat-out hero of this movie was not Raleigh, but Stacker himself. Idris Elba was a larger-than-life character in every sense. I loved the scene that began: 'Firstly, don't touch me. Secondly -'

There were plenty of other fantastic little touches. Like when Mako and Raleigh finish their first run together and Ellen McLain's voice 'Would you like to try again?' Just perfect!

Of course, props must go the art team. For the most part it was amazing, especially all the physical sets. But that's what Guillermo pulls together and the way he builds worlds. I'm not hugely enamoured of the designs of the jaegers themselves - Striker Eureka probably my favourite. Cherno Alpha was a fun call-back to oldschool Japanese man-in-suit designs whilst also looking perfectly like a Russian mechanical beast of war. I would have loved to have seen more.

Hopefully the international takings will warrant a sequel. I blows my mind that Grown Ups 2 has a bigger opening weekend in the US. The American public, I just don't know...

Edited by PetarB

SPOILERS

The only thing I didn't like was that many of the Kaiju VS Jaeger scenes were at night or in the overcast rain, or in the night whilst it's raining. I think this was done because for various compositional issues it helped sell scale and effects, however I found it a little frustrating. There were a few VERY short scenes of Striker Eureka in Sydney Harbour, but these seemed to be on television screens. Hopefully - if a sequel is green lit - we might spend a little more time in the sun.

Hopefully the international takings will warrant a sequel. I blows my mind that Grown Ups 2 has a bigger opening weekend in the US. The American public, I just don't know...

This x 100

Pacific Rim was a great goddamn movie. Giant robos really make my heart happy. I loved the total lack of cynicism in the performances and the plot. I hope a lot of kids fall in love with robots (and monsters) again.

I really liked the robot designs as the film progressed. I'll totally buy an SOC of the Russian bot.

Also, I hope this paves the way for Gunbuster, Macross, Getter, and all kinds of Robot movies. Hollywood is now on notice!

Also, Stringer bell has a great British accent, and the best mad scientists since Doc Brown!

Edited by Gakken85

My favourite moment was when we initially see the Conn-Pod interiors, you started on a closeup of the door inside Gypsy Danger (the original version with the brother) and the lights flicker on and we pull back to reveal the entire interior in a wide shot with the guys coming in! Hehe...

Very disappointed it lagged behind a comedic has-been ad-libing with a bunch of personal friends to the tune of $80 million... there is no hope for humanity, bring on the Apocalypse! ;-)

I do hope it becomes a sleeper surprise hit with more "legs".

Thank you all here that supported it, and I'm especially grateful that you all liked it.

Cool movie, but when I was watching it, I wondered what happened to all the submarines and aircraft carriers and navies of the world? Were they all scrapped for raw materials for the Jaeger program? Pretty sure a few Super Hornets or A-10s could have prevented the loss of the Jaegers. Oh well, it's just a movie. :lol:

Edited by Macross_Fanboy

I know everyone in here was probably seen it, and everyone has their opinions, but might as well add mine.

Despite my love of monster movies and cool robots, this was, to me, typical Hollywood summer blockbuster. Nothing particularly special. Boring predictable script, forgettable acting, dumb plotholes, brainless action, and very nice special effects.

You could tell that a lot of energy and care went into it...but not that much came out.

I don't consider myself a movie snob, but perhaps I am one. I want more from my movies than bang bang slice slice boom boom.

The robot designs never did grow on me, but perhaps I could have gotten into the Kaiju designs if they had been showcased better.

As for the person who said this movie had done a great job world building: what are you referring to? Nothing about that world (apart from monsters and robots) was any different than this one, with the exception of a one line throwaway comment about a Kaiju-centric religious sect. It certainly didn't feel lived in, nor did it draw the audience into the world like movies I've heard that phrase otherwise applied to.

Not a bad movie to be sure. But not a really good one either.

Box Office Mojo Numbers

So, while everyone in America is pissed that the movie landed in third place over the weekend, Pacific Rim has managed to rake in US$53 million overseas, making a combined total of over US$91 million in a span of just four days. Highly impressive for a movie that's not a sequel and practically has no big-name stars to sell it.

Seen it, truthly enjoy it.

Anyone who haven't seen it, should go to check it out.

It is, essentially, made for people like us. Unfortunately , if we all went out and saw it a bunch of times its unlikely that we would pay over 180 mil for it.....

Cool movie, but when I was watching it, I wondered what happened to all the submarines and aircraft carriers and navies of the world? Were they all scrapped for raw materials for the Jaeger program? Pretty sure a few Super Hornets or A-10s could have prevented the loss of the Jaegers. Oh well, it's just a movie. :lol:

Well if you remember in the beginning, plane bullets did not even pierce their skin. Probably a majority of all that got scrapped since it seemed the threat was global.

Just watched it on IMAX 3d and it didn't disappoint at all. A total blast. Highly recommended. Saw it on a Monday afternoon viewing and the huge theatre is almost half full. Can't wait for the sequel and the toys.

Edit: Will be watching it again this weekend! Wheee! Does anybody know a good source for the toys? Not counting on them ever coming to Australia at this moment.

Edited by raptormesh

Hollywood makes movies for the overseas audience these days. It's their fail safe for flops. Their will def. be a sequel or two. Any time a genre makes this much money you'll see Hollywood digging deep to make more films

I know Neca got the rights in America, but I hope another company in Japan will get the rights after this success and release some quality stuff.

I know BBTS has the Neca junk, and you can get other stuff at TRU and Target ect.

I don't think any real high-end stuff has been announced.

Edited by Gakken85

Well if you remember in the beginning, plane bullets did not even pierce their skin. Probably a majority of all that got scrapped since it seemed the threat was global.

HTP bombs and guided missiles! Screw the collateral damage!