Saw it. Enjoyed it. I found myself sometimes wishing that it was a little darker, or maybe more serious, but I truly appreciated the movie for what it is.

Didn't see it in 3D, but that gives me an excuse to see it in theaters again.

-b.

Yay, what fun!

I can't figure out spoiler tags on my iPhone, so I won't address anything specific.

The actors were good enough for me. I liked that Mako was not over-sexualized, which is surprising in a film like this. I agree with some of the above plot hole issues, but they were less obtrusive than I've come to expect from modern summer movies, so, win?

Loved the production design all over, great job on the con pods, WM Cheng!

We've all seen the trailers, so I think it's ok to mention the scene with the little girl. My daighter's just a little younger, and goddamn if my heart didn't just shatter. Above all the effects, GDT brought heart to the giant robot film. Was it cheesy & a little ham-fisted? Sure. Did it work? Yup. I'd consider this a B+ film.

Saw Pacific Rim in 3D IMAX earlier this evening and had a good chance to chat about it afterard with my friends. This movie is unapologetically melodramatic and epic in a manner completely at odds with the way modern movies are made. There is no attempt at a middle ground; no attempt to appeal to "four-quadrant" demographics. And this film is all the better for it. From the opening of the film you are either with the tone or you're not. This is Star Wars, this is Superman, this is Jurassic Park, this is Gladiator, this is Pirates of the Caribbean...this is the antithesis of gritty, dark and grounded. Pacific Rim is space opera of the grandest sort made heightened and bold without any excuses for it's absurdness or escapism.

The characters are archetypal and the actors play them broad. Every actor is on the same page here and as the audience you better be on board too because it's sink or swim (pun intended). The story is simple and the stakes are galactic. We have a bunch of monsters from another "place" invading Earth through portal in the Pacific Ocean. It's all over the top and silly from there. As a fan of cinema and an anime fan, I can confidently say Pacific Rim understands what it's doing and does right what so many other movies do wrong. It doesn't whitewash the cast, it doesn't localize the story for North American audiences, it doesn't sexualize the female characters and it doesn't pull punches with the story. The film presents a truly international cast of characters from all races and genders and gives them all equal weight in a truly ensemble production. Almost every character is fun and the story delivers the dramatic heights demanded of such a big film.

Any realism this film has is reserved for production design and CGI. You will not find CGI monsters or robots in any other film that consistently convey a totally believable sense of weight and a constant perspective of immense scale. Even better the art design and sets meld beautifully with the special effects and CGI world to create a seamlessly blended whole. At no point did I feel removed from the CGI action when cutting to the sets; everything appeared thoughtfully integrated to ensure the audience always felt like the characters were actually in the thick of things at all times.

The battles between Jaeger and Kaiju are astounding. Rather than bland and repetitous, each battle had true dramatic purpose and upped the stakes at every turn. As Pacific Rim progresses it's war story, the enemy adapts and our heroes have to adapt too or perish. And perish they do, always in dramatic fashion and always ensuring you're invested in the titanic carnage happening on screen. It's been a long, LOOOONNNGG time since someone made a movie that put this much thought into each battle sequence and understands audience demands would change for those battles that followed the earlier fights.

Pacific Rim is 4 out of 5 for me. Melodramatic space opera that understands the right way to make such cinema and all the excitment and absurdity that comes with it. This film is a love letter to mecha anime in all the best ways and reminds us once again why we became fans of this style of ridiculous entertainment.

I saw it earlier today and now that I've had som time to digest it I'd say say its a solid 3 out of 5. Because of my logic there was several things that bug me though...

1.Did that scientist after merging with part of the kaiju brain really just repeat almost word for word what the president said from Independence day after the alien got in his head?

2.Duel has a point(aside from the one on his head) about the emp. Gypsy should have been fried like everyone else.

3.The governments and commanders in this film are at best mentally retarded, and at worst criminally inept. Nuke or not you split your forces and sent an obsolete MK1 with a MKIII instead of your most effective weapon to give a numerical advantage? Don't get me started on why the hell the governments of the world would cancel a project that proved the most effective weapon.

4.If one of the Eureka pilots had a broken arm why not switch sides? The main guy did with mako because of the nerv damage from the earlier incident with his brother. Its not like the do much with the side not controlling the mech.

5.If you needed your mecha disguised with kaiju dna to travel in the wormhole, how the hell did the escape pods manage to go back through?

6.Anybody reminded of Independence Day again when Gypsy's core nuked?

7.If the film makes a point of stating that the more compatible you are the better you fight, and the russians are the most connected, why are they stuck with the shitty MKI?

How I think the movie should have ended....

After the Typhoon and Cherno are destroyed, Stacker brings the Coyote Tango out of retirement to aid the Eureka and Gypsy assault the rift. Because one of the Eureka pilots is hurt its not as combat effective and gets taken out setting off the nuke. Gypsy heavily damaged from the blast attempts to fight the remaining Kaiju before Stacker who is already dying from his past injuries/radiation exposure/neural overload grabs it and drags it back down the wormhole before self destructing. Damaged beyond repair the Gypsy starts shuting down and taking on water causing a mad rush to escaping and near drowning. This would then pick up where the film did with the escape pods surfacing.

Saw it for a second time today; this time, at a brand-new Dolby Atmos theater. I could care less if it wasn't presented in 3D, but the sound design is phenomenal. Each sound element is meticulously played in the proper speaker, from each raindrop to every servo on Gipsy Danger. Screw 3D - Dolby Atmos is the way to go.

And the Academy Awards can go to hell if this movie doesn't get Oscar nominations for Best Visual Effects, Best Sound Editing and Best Sound Design.

This is Star Wars, this is Superman, this is Jurassic Park, this is Gladiator, this is Pirates of the Caribbean...this is the antithesis of gritty, dark and grounded. Pacific Rim is space opera of the grandest sort made heightened and bold without any excuses for it's absurdness or escapism.

This statement makes no sense whatsoever.

The characters are archetypal and the actors play them broad.

Is this your way of saying they have no depth or character? Because that would be pretty accurate.

You will not find CGI monsters or robots in any other film that consistently convey a totally believable sense of weight and a constant perspective of immense scale. Even better the art design and sets meld beautifully with the special effects and CGI world to create a seamlessly blended whole. At no point did I feel removed from the CGI action when cutting to the sets; everything appeared thoughtfully integrated to ensure the audience always felt like the characters were actually in the thick of things at all times.

Arguably the movie's greatest strength, excellent work done there. The antithesis of Bayformers.

Now that I think of it

Lets say that GD and the helicopters carrying it were able to function because they were turned off during the EMP blast, how the hell did they open the door?

If one of the Eureka pilots had a broken arm why not switch sides? The main guy did with mako because of the nerv damage from the earlier incident with his brother. Its not like the do much with the side not controlling the mech.

I think there are two factors that go into this: 1. He could still move his arm and fight with it despite nerve damage and 2. I think it has to do with putting on the entire suit for maximum functionality and miscellaneous button pushing that could require both arms. The pain from a broken arm could also hinder the mind melding.

6.Anybody reminded of Independence Day again when Gypsy's core nuked?

Right here.

You know what this movie was missing? A moment or character that induced a "gar" state in the audience. No manly tears, and no testosterone explosion of manliness that made you want to jump up and start cheering (and/or squealing). Perhaps that would have been too over the top for a live-action movie, but it's one of the few tropes they missed.

Edited by Duke Togo

Without getting too spoilery, is Canada mentioned at all as being part of the Pacific Rim? Since... y'know... we are.

It's science fiction, but they haven't removed any land masses, so you're ok.

Edited by Duke Togo

Not to step on anyone's artistic toes, but is there any chance you guys could take the fan art to another thread? Hard to talk about the movie when every other post is a picture.

YEAH!! YOU GUYS!! Enough with the fan art!!!!!

tumblr_mo01tw5nVm1qj8j43o1_1280.jpg

Without getting too spoilery, is Canada mentioned at all as being part of the Pacific Rim? Since... y'know... we are.

There was a Canadian councilor in one scene where Stacker Pentecost was talking to some politicians. So I would bet that Canada had some Jaegers at one point.

I like that version better. Less stupid, more heart.

Agreed. Although "the stupid" seemed to be the intent to make this more appealing to a wider audience. In more popcorn movie sort of way.

It was so much better in IMAX 3D!!! - you really see so much more than the regular 3D version (our crew screening).

More in terms of extra content or more in terms of higher quality picture and audio? And big kudos on the design work you did.

-b.

I'm so happy I don't share the same level of criticism some of you guys do.

I saw it in 2D DBox (moving seats) theater and was giddy as a school girl, and bouncing with utter glee all over the place.

Yeah, it was transparent.

Don't care.

Saw it. Enjoyed it. I found myself sometimes wishing that it was a little darker, or maybe more serious, but I truly appreciated the movie for what it is.

Yeah, the director is supposed to have said that he wanted this to have a lighter tone than a lot of other summer blockbusters. Good way to go. No point in the movie taking itself *too* seriously, it's all meant to be fun.

Any nominations for "best moment in the film".

I loved the part where the Kaiju grabbed Gipsy Joker, unfurled its wings and took off. Spectacular. Also the bit with the metal bouncy balls getting set off in the office.

I just got back from seeing it, it was just Top Gun with mechs, very mediocre outside of the fight scenes.

I also had to call bull on Gypsy being able to function after Leather Back's EMP attack. Electromagnetic Pulses = Electrical devices shutting down OF ALL VARIETIES NOT JUST THE DIGITAL ONES! The final fight was also very disappointing. What the hell made *looks up name* Slattern a cat 5 anyway? All it had was three spear tails. I doubt these categories meant anything other than how toxic their blood was. Hmm what else- Oh yeah! I had to restrain myself from laughing when Leatherback sent Eureka Striker out of commission, I came close to bursting in laughter like I did with Scary Movie 5 while thinking "You over confident kaiju murdering dick, look how powerless you are now!" Would have been better if the kaiju destroyed it there, but nope, had to do that in the next battle.

I guess this will be like Transformers: Get the cliches done in the first movie to make it mediocre, wait for the sequel when the good stuff comes.

FFS! LOL!!

ee0.jpg

It was so much better in IMAX 3D!!! - you really see so much more than the regular 3D version (our crew screening).

I just came back from a third viewing on IMAX. Sorry, but it didn't have as much kick as the Dolby Atmos version.

That aside, you did some kickass work on the designs, wm cheng.