So:

1) You make awesome model kits

2) You make awesome robot cockpits

3) You make awesome giant robots come to life.

You are my god ^_^

Thanks so much!

1) These sets are my 1:1 scale models now... I don't have the time as I would like with my daughter in the picture, so a few more years before I return to the hobby.

2) The best part is getting inside your "model" and walk around the Robot cockpits and flicking switches! they wouldn't turn on the motion system without us properly harnessed in though ;-( so I never got to experience the movement inside.

3) It's a huge collaborative team effort but this part is mostly the legions of artists at ILM.

While browsing in anticipation, I just discovered that Wayne Barlowe was part of the kaiju design team. I freaking love his work, and am continually disappointed that Expedition is out of print. Even more excited for tomorrow night.

I was the principal set designer for the Conn-Pod interiors.

These are all my babies... (and a wonderful group of draftsman, and hundreds of other carpenters and scenic artist...)

I gave a presentation of my work in Stuttgart.

http://www.fmx.de/program.html#!/event/1037

Was it a single cockpit set that was redressed for different Jaegers (I assume this was the case)? Also, did you sneak in any Macross design references, like you did with "Splice"?

Was it a single cockpit set that was redressed for different Jaegers (I assume this was the case)? Also, did you sneak in any Macross design references, like you did with "Splice"?

Yep, I designed the conn-pod interior for Gypsy Danger (both old and current), Striker Eureka, Cherno Alpha and Crimson Typhoon. They were pretty different and all quite unique, they did not share any components, but they did all fit within the gimballed stage and steel structure we had designed to accommodate all the conn-pods. They had the most Macross references of any set I had designed to date! You can even see the vernier thrusters with bar in the still from that clip of the over sized robot set featurette.

I'm taking two of my girls (2 out of 3) to see this tomorrow.

The last couple of months have been quite awful for me, but we are coming out the other side now and my two otaku daughters and I will celebrate in grand style.

My 10 year old made her first Gundam last weekend - and knowing that Ellen McLain is a computer's voice in this makes her very excited to see PACIFIC RIM.

Of course, they are also HELLBOY fans...

I think this movie is being set up to fail. I check my local theaters tiimes and between the two versions (normal and 3D) its only being shown 4 times. Its not much better at other theaters around the area. Why isn't this getting the wide release like other movies are this summer? Hell when the lone ranger and man of steel opened first day they had showings every hour.

Ok, so, what works?

Fight scenes (duh)

Anime tropes (and they hit ALOT of them)

Physical setpieces

Ellen McLain (we needed more of her, really)

What doesn't work?

Frankly, any story bits that aren't anime tropes are rather stupid

Too many flat performances and poor line readings

A few horrid performances (Clifton Collins is flat out bad, and Charlie Day is a hideous cross between JJ Abrams and Bobcat Goldwaith)

I really don't care about any of these characters

Post-credits scene is worth a chuckle (A7, you really should delete your spoilers)

I want to give it a 6/10, but the old anime geek in me says give it a 7/10 and be happy.

Edited by Duke Togo

Just came back from it. Have to say it was a pretty cool movie. I wasnt waiting for it to end like I was Superman... ^_^

True enough. Giant inter-dimensional monsters attacking the cities along the Pacific knock down fewer buildings than two Kryptonians in Metropolis.

Just saw it...LOVED it!! Total popcorn film with big monsters fighting robots!!!

Yes not the best actors but who cares?

I do. Some of my fellow film-loving friends do. Doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it, but still.

Well, saw the 10 o' clock IMAX show of Pacific Rim. This is what I felt like when I came out of the Star Wars re-releases in 1997, when I saw Avengers, or when I saw Jurassic Park for the first time. Most particulalry, this is what i felt like when I went to see the Power Rangers movie 18 years ago. And Pacific Rim is what that movie should have looked like as well. :D

Seriously, the only thing this movie was missing was someone screaming at the top of their lungs, I AM THE SWORD THAT CLEAVES EVIL!!

I just got back from seeing it, it was just Top Gun with mechs, very mediocre outside of the fight scenes; kind of weird that I think Top Gun is better but that is another topic entirely.

I also had to call bull on Gypsy being able to function after Leather Back's EMP attack. Electromagnetic Pulses = Electrical devices shutting down OF ALL VARIETIES NOT JUST THE DIGITAL ONES! The final fight was also very disappointing. What the hell made *looks up name* Slattern a cat 5 anyway? All it had was three spear tails. I doubt these categories meant anything other than how toxic their blood was. Hmm what else- Oh yeah! I had to restrain myself from laughing when Leatherback sent Eureka Striker out of commission, I came close to bursting in laughter in the theater like I did with Scary Movie 5 while thinking "You over confident kaiju murdering dick, look how powerless you are now!" Would have been better if the kaiju destroyed it there, but nope, had to do that in the next battle.

I guess this will be like live action Transformers: Get the cliches done in the first movie to make it mediocre/just okay, wait for the sequel when the good stuff comes.

Edited by DuelGundam2099
Spoiler tags

I just got back from seeing it, it was just Top Gun with mechs, very mediocre outside of the fight scenes.

Which is the problem. If this were an anime movie, it wouldn't even warrant a thread here.

We're awed by the special effects work and a real-life take on the genre, but the script is just not good. Every time someone starts talking, you just want them to move on to the next set piece or fight.

"Where's my goddamn shoe?!" :lol:

=P

I watched the 10pm show last night and it was kick ass! It's up there with Star Trek 2 and Man of Steel for good summer flicks. Elysium will be the next movie I look forward to seeing.