I think it's time for V2 1/60 YF-21 and V2 1/60 VF-22S

Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

Not saying its hard, but there's a lot of little joints going on in the shoulder and wing area. There's just way more things that move on the sv-51 than on other valks

Well the wings are just hinges, it's more the material used for the shoulders that is too finicky. If Yamato did that toy now, she'd be apples.

Well the wings are just hinges, it's more the material used for the shoulders that is too finicky. If Yamato did that toy now, she'd be apples.

Hinges are always just hinges... That's why we call them hinges and not, say, monkeys. And yeah, they're just monkeys, but the point is there's an awful lot of monkeys packed into the shoulders and wing root.

Next time they do a YF-21, they should make the legs and wings rubber air bladders wrapped around articulated frames so you can inflate them to achieve the massive change in size between battroid and fighter mode.

There's many things I'd like to see from Yamato before we see a renewal version of the YF-21/VF-22, such as:

• 1/60 Full Armoured Thunderbolt.
  • 1/60 VF-2SS with SAP.
  • 1/60 VF-2JA.
  • 1/35 Legioss.
  • A renewal version 1/60 YF-19.
  • A renewal version 1/60 VF-0S/A.
  • 1/60 VF-0D normal & Shin colors.
  • 1/60 Fz-109A/F.
  • 1/60 VF-5000B.
  • 1/60 VF-3000.
  • 1/60 VA-3M.

With the need to keep the fighter mode slim, I don't think there is too much that could be done to bulk up the battroid mode of the YF-21/VF-22. The only real improvements I'd like to see are:

1. Locking landing gear.
  2. Locking chest in battroid mode.
  3. better parts fitting and reduced gaps for the belly plates and other small hinged doors.
  4. Nicer sculpted gunpods.

Graham

Back in the day, anime magic was king and toy/model designers would always have headaches trying to reconcile proportions in all 3 modes.

Today, there is CG animation and accurate 3D modeling, but Bandai still managed to pull out the V1 VF-25. That aside, I never got a VF-22 (despite the discounts) because of the tiny limbs, in fighter mode (my favorite) it looks great though.

There's many things I'd like to see from Yamato before we see a renewal version of the YF-21/VF-22, such as:

• 1/60 VF-2SS with SAP.
  • 1/60 VF-2JA.
  • 1/35 Legioss.
  • 1/60 Fz-109A/F.
  • 1/60 VF-5000B.
  • 1/60 VF-3000.
  • 1/60 VA-3M.

With the need to keep the fighter mode slim, I don't think there is too much that could be done to bulk up the battroid mode of the YF-21/VF-22. The only real improvements I'd like to see are:

1. Locking landing gear.
  3. better parts fitting and reduced gaps for the belly plates and other small hinged doors.

Graham

An easier transformation from battroid to fighter as well. I think getting rid of delimiter mode would definitely aid in accomplishing that. I basically want a new mold that quality-wise, is on par with the Yamato Fire Valkyrie.

I mean I doubt it'll ever be made simply because the existing 1/60 YF-21/VF-22S sculpt is pretty good as is, but I would pay up for a new version.

Back in the day, anime magic was king and toy/model designers would always have headaches trying to reconcile proportions in all 3 modes.

Well that's great because the YF-21 and VF-22 were animated by people who understand consistent proportions.

In fact there's a lot of consistency in the design even with the fudging.

Umm... I'd suggest doing some research before recommending fixes, unless you've done them yourself.. The YF-21 (and the Sv-51 as well for that matter) doesn't have pins in the wings that you can pop out. It does have pins you can put glue/etc. on, but popping them out would likely require you to break the wings entirely, since they're sandwiched between glued layers of wing.

In any case, I definitely agree with Graham. There're a lot of other VFs that deserve attention before we get another YF-21... ESPECIALLY the YF-19.

I mean, the current YF-19 is already at least a generation behind the quality of the current YF-21. Can you imagine how sad it would be to display it next to one developed 6 years later? :p

Edited by Chronocidal

Umm... I'd suggest doing some research before recommending fixes, unless you've done them yourself.. The YF-21 (and the Sv-51 as well for that matter) doesn't have pins in the wings that you can pop out. It does have pins you can put glue/etc. on, but popping them out would likely require you to break the wings entirely, since they're sandwiched between glued layers of wing.

post-1819-0-25594400-1328987734_thumb.jpg

which pin are we talking about? They're all accessible to me ( ^w^) ;

The main hinge in the wing has that sliding diecast part to keep them stable. The main hinge near the body can be pushed out I think. Does event appear to have a knurl.

I'm talking about the YF-21, since that's what the original "floppy wings" comment was about. Those pins don't come out unless you take the entire wing apart, and you're more likely to destroy it than do any good. Same for the outer pins on the Sv-51, they're sandwiched between the two halves of the wing, and those sliding pins don't always do such a great job.. mine just collapse anyway.

The inner ones you might get out, but I usually just drip some runny glue into the joint and work it back and forth as it dries. Easier than forcing the pins out.

Well, that's definitely different than pins. Nevertheless, there is a fix to getting those parts of the 22's wings to stay in place. If you put a little bit of styrene in there, it creates some pressure on the hinge, and makes it sturdy. I had that issue with my Milia version, and it worked for mine. NMB4M fixed it up on mine. I try to fix things without the glue, polish, etc. if possible. Glue is my last ditch effort.

• 2 months later...

I've got 5 of these birds and I'll still buy more if yamato makes a v2. I love both their battroid and gerwalk modes too, though I keep most of them in fighter mode. That being said, I'd rather they visit other designs because the birds are pretty good as it is. Retailers may be cautious in stocking up on these as well due to how the -22s have been performing in the market.

Actually the only way I won't get a v2 is if they are glossy.

Edit: VF5SS - they have ankle locks don't they? I have one standing in bmode for a year now without support and it's still pretty tight.

Edited by raptormesh

While I personally have no problems with the current 1/60 YF-21 in terms of its transformation (as I'm quite mechanically inclined when it comes to transforming toys), I actually wouldn't mind seeing a V2 of it. Why? The YF-21 is my all time favorite valk and I cannot say no to getting a better and improved version of one of my most beloved Macross valks.

• 1/60 VF-2SS with SAP.
  • 1/60 VF-2JA.
  • 1/35 Legioss.
  • 1/60 Fz-109A/F.
  • 1/60 VF-5000B.
  • 1/60 VF-3000.
  • 1/60 VA-3M.

1. Locking landing gear.

Graham

Best suggestions are right here, I have a Max VF-22, I love it but if Yamato's is going to invest in anything new, the fighters below are my wish list!!

• 1/60 VF-2SS with SAP.
  • 1/60 VF-2JA.
  • 1/35 Legioss

Personally, I'm satisfied with my current YF-21 and -22S Gamlin, fragile and finicky as they might be. Yamato Valks have never been cheap, and I'm hesitant to spend any cash on a new version of a Valk I already own.

That said, my YF-21 still hasn't been transformed once after its purchase a few years ago. I'm planning to put a coat of FFP onto the light blue paint on the feet before touching it. Heard too many horror stories of scraped paint during transformation.