I think it's time for V2 1/60 YF-21 and V2 1/60 VF-22S

Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

Yep. As unlikely as it may be, due to the 1/60 YF-21 and VF-22 sculpts being quite good, I still want to see V2 versions. Due to the delimiter mode, and parts associated with it, it is a PITA to get back into fighter mode. Honestly I could do without the limb removal gimmick.

Also woul like extra optional parts for battroid and gerwalk to fatten up the legs, similar to what's used on the Excaliburs by Yamato. For the 22S, anime accurate bellyplates, and optional swappable bellyplayates that can house the guns would be great too.

Make it as solid as the VF-19's and I have no qualms paying $230+

somebody wanna explain to me what does the limb removal gimmick do?

don't think I've seen it in the OVA..and doesn't make much sense to me....

In the OVA Macross Plus, Guld goes into De-limiter mode in order to destroy the new Drone Ghost Fighter, and if you look closely, he actually drops off all his limbs as he transforms to fighter mode. This, in the anime, speeds him up to extraordinary levels, and allows him to destroy the X-9 at the cost of his own life.

In the OVA Macross Plus, Guld goes into De-limiter mode in order to destroy the new Drone Ghost Fighter, and if you look closely, he actually drops off all his limbs as he transforms to fighter mode. This, in the anime, speeds him up to extraordinary levels, and allows him to destroy the X-9 at the cost of his own life.

thanks for the info.. That makes much more sense to me now... Never noticed that!

Yep. As unlikely as it may be, due to the 1/60 YF-21 and VF-22 sculpts being quite good, I still want to see V2 versions. Due to the delimiter mode, and parts associated with it, it is a PITA to get back into fighter mode. Honestly I could do without the limb removal gimmick.

Also woul like extra optional parts for battroid and gerwalk to fatten up the legs, similar to what's used on the Excaliburs by Yamato. For the 22S, anime accurate bellyplates, and optional swappable bellyplayates that can house the guns would be great too.

Make it as solid as the VF-19's and I have no qualms paying $230+

weird.

i got the M&M vf22s and I have no problem getting them back in fighter-modes.

i had an issue with Milia swinging her left-leg out in battroid-mode, tho.

maybe we just need some "upgrade-parts" for them instead of a full version-2?

i think we all know that the yf-21 does not need that useless humongous box that adds to the shipping-weight/cost or something since it doesn't come with the stand anymore.

Edited by treatment

The only improvement I would like to see to the YF-21/VF-22S is landing gear that locks in the open position.

Mine always stay in fighter mode.

Graham

That too. Sometimes my 2 year old in her healthy curiosity of my collection pokes one of my VF-22s with her finger and the mains collapse. Very annoying.

Agreed with Shin. Get rid of the stupid removable limbs and you'll eliminate most of the annoying joints/flaws/breakages in that valk---the thigh/hip joints especially always want to move along the "remove legs" direction, and not the "transform legs" direction---causing stress, annoyance, delays, floppy poses, etc. Plus with how sensitive the belly plates are to 0.5mm of movement in any direction----unnecessary joints are bad.

Plus I want a backplate that stays down in fighter mode via a tab or something, like the 1/72 did---the 1/60 is held in by pure friction, and as evidenced by several people's pics (including mine)---it doesn't always work. My 1/72's backplate was awesome. (my first 1/72's---my second one with FP's wasn't as good for some reason---and again I wasn't alone in that regard, many people reported that issue with their FP 2nd-version 1/72)

And belly plates that actually "lock" into place would be nice---again, they're mainly held in by friction and are under constant stress---that's why they POP open, instead of merely "falling" open when they let go. The rear/lower edges barely barely tab into the foot area----the tabs are several mm long, but only like 1mm if that barely catches on the foot-cover-hinge thing.

Oh yeah, almost forgot---DARKER BLUE. The first 1/72 was perfect. The 2nd 1/72 was purple. The 1/60 is like cobalt blue. I've seen M+ several times---the plane Guld flew was a *dark* blue. Yamato's 1/60 is way too light/bright, it's darn near the color of Max's 1J.

I'm on the get rid of the removable limbs boat as well. get rid of that and they could make all the internals strong and slim enough to get rid of almost all the tolerance issues right there. that and make the belly plates lock together better as David said.

I'm not going to agree with swappable parts though. I don't think the YF-21/VF-22 need it, they look fine in battroid and fighter mode as is. Also, the VF-19 can get away with it since the it's nothing more than 3 small chunks of plastic and an extra shield. option parts to do things like make the legs thicker or give the VF-22 a place to store a gun would require replacing major chunks of the figure.

No where near that skinny. Sadly, for a sleek fighter I guess they need to be.

post-1819-0-28537000-1328526672_thumb.jpg

ahem

They also draw the backpack wide like it's supposed to be. They keep the same general proportions in 7 and Dynamite 7 too for the most part.

There is that weird alternate line art with bigger legs but that's just the front view and looks more like something Bandai or Ashi Pro cooked up for promotional purposes.

post-1819-0-82811500-1328526832_thumb.jpg

Also don't try this with the wings on the toy. It will break.

Not saying there wasn't some cheating, but obsessing over it never got anyone anywhere.

Anyways, as the resident VF-22S toy expert I will say the figure has a few areas that need improvement. As a whole though, I find it is more part of the VF-1 and VF-11 tier of design than say the YF-19 which is closer to the old 1/48 VF-1 and the two Zero toys.

What it does need is.

1. Tighter knee joints. They've always been floaty between clicks. Some of that nifty diecast stuff they're using on the newest toys would be awesome. A little metal inside the legs would help a bit too.

2. Possibly better ankles. Now you can get a VF-22S toy to stand or squat down forever, but perhaps a diecast or partially diecast universal joint (with easy access screw for tightening or disassembly) would help it out. Coupled with better knees, the VF-22S can strike a mean pose.

3. Better lock on diecast hip bar in Battroid mode. This isn't a huge deal as it can be tightened up with glue or paint, but this isn't a huge change since it locks into an area that is in the twisting pelvis section.

4. Better lock for the nose section to the chest in Battroid. While the diecast bar the chest intakes move on do have little nubs for locking the nose into the chest, this is kind of spotty. Either have an unobtrusive tab and hole or perhaps just have a magnet inside the nose that goes with a corresponding one in the main body. Pretty simple fix.

These are things that don't require designing a whole new toy, I think. Given the modular nature of the figure, a redesign could be done without scrapping the existing tooling.

Not that they really care but hey. I wish I had a castle in the sky~

Here's a few things that are just for aesthetics.

1. A way to slide the tailfins on the arms up a bit so their more in the middle of the forearm. Makes it look more like anime where the talfins are arm shields.

2. Better neck. Not that the design is shown moving its head that much, a better neck wouldn't hurt. Even if the face just moved separately from the cowl, that might help.

3. Double jointed elbow might be nice.

4. Better hip plate joint. Again not a huge deal, but the current system is a bit rough in posing.

Itll happen, I'm waiting. That and the egg plane 21 lol wheres my 1/100 BANDAI?

it seems like that line has been gone for a long time...since the focker strike 1S... Really hope they do a new 1J for the origin color with a new head..

My old YF-21 and VF-22 are perfectly fine and some of the sturdiest and well made/looking figures in the Macross collection. No need for remakes. Wouldn't buy any if they were released.

I rather see something new, such as the VF-2SS, VF-3000, VF-5000, VF-9, VF-14, etc..

++ How long did it take for HLJ and AmiAmi to get ride of all those VF-22 at 40+% off?

Mine also stays in fighter mode because the left leg will not stay on in battroid mode. Also, the belly plates do not align properly any more, so there are limitless "pop-ups" on the bottom with the belly plates. I have to also agree with Graham again about the locking landing gear, this is probably the single most detracting thing about the design of the toy. A version 2, perhaps in 1/48 scale would give the room necessary to make this toy great.

Twich

Never understood why the -21/-22 receive overall positive praise, Battroid and GERWALK look pretty much like garbage on the current version.

If Yamato can put in the same kind of attention and love into those two modes like with the fighter, then I would welcome a Ver. 2.

I love the current YF-21, so much that I actually got 2 of them, and it's the only valk that I have duplicates of... OK, I found the second with a very nice discount but still . I think Gerwalk looks really cool, the ankles do a great job allowing for an aggressive stance. Battroid is fantastic, lean and weird just like in the anime

The only problem I have with this series is with the 22's cockpit not being covered in battroid and the unstowable gunpods but I still can't blame Yamato for doing it the way they did (because fighter mode is perfection)

Edited by Frogze

Have you ever considered the price? Even now the 21 and 22 are almost 250, if a revision to the design happens I don think it will be cheap. Now the VF-17 is a much more simple valk whit no complicated transformation or gimmicks. The 21 with all that internal design and the most complex transformation to date, men!!! That would be expensive.

Edited by Froy

Not in terms of mechanical complexity. The Sv-51 has the most ridiculously complex shoulder mechanism I've ever seen. It works well, but there are just so many ways you can move them...

As far as a new YF-21 goes though.. yes, improvements would be nice, especially the gear locking, and maybe getting the belly plates to work better... but they will have to pull off something miraculous before I drop any money on more of them. I've got 3 already, and I'm plenty happy with them, so unless they figure out a way to make the wings morph, I'm probably not going to be buying any more. ^_^

Now, getting a new YF-19 would be very nice, and once the momentum gets going, sure, more people might start wanting a matching YF-21. But for the moment, two things keep it from sounding like a good idea... the falling dollar, which will probably mean $350 plus prices for it, and the common discount status for the current YF-21/VF-22, which makes it look like they can't sell what they have.

Granted.. a saturated market has never stopped companies from making more VF-1s, but I don't think the demand for the YF-21 is even in the same ballpark. Even if they did improve it greatly, would enough people buy it to make it worth the effort and expense to develop?