1/60 VF-1 replacement shoulder hinge

VF5SS

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK....I got one set installed. This the smaller ones that come as a pair. I noticed when you put them together....it does not close flat. So I shaved a little material off the center where it closes on the inside. I got it to almost close flush.... the fatter 5mm ones close alot better once the center material is shaved off. And it is very very minimal.....not going to affect the strength one bit. Here are both shoulders replaced. The white is not too bad with the flash....even when its off....it is not that bad. The TV J, and S should be a perfect color match...since I hear the plastic on those are a bright white. Note: I did notice the ball for the shoulder is a bit small. I tightened the 2 screws as tight as I could....but was still loose. I had to use a foam piece to fill up the gap. Once I did that....it is alot better. FYI.... the material I chose was the white strong & flexible. I wonder if I chose the polished....that it would be even looser?

post-60-0-40224900-1353909485_thumb.jpg

post-60-0-66502200-1353909598_thumb.jpg

post-60-0-30725800-1353909617_thumb.jpg

Edited by vt102

I got the 5mm hinges installed on my other one. They do not fit without filing down some material. Maybe if you mix match the 4 & 5... they might fit without mods. So to make them fit, I had to file down some material where the 2 meet up in fighter mode. As you can see with the pic....they only go in at a 45 degree angle. So I took off about less than 1/2 a mm....I might go back and take a little more off. It does not affect the lock (little bump you have to go over when transforming into gerwalk or battroid)when in battroid mode. Also when going back into fighter, you have to unlock the bar, to raise it higher for the hinge bulge to fit under. Once they are straight....you can lock down the bar. Then it is rock solid....maybe too solid. Not sure if anyone else is having the same problem as me. Please chime in. Also the balls on these are also a bit small. I had to stuff the joint for it to be snug.

post-60-0-73724000-1353916916_thumb.jpg

post-60-0-36810200-1353916931_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick question, i recently ordered my replacement from shapeways but the website did not give me the option of sizes. Are members talking about the size of the pin? 5mm-4mm... Confused......

Cool, that makes sense. Thanks guys, I got a vf-1a that came out jacked out of the box, brand new. O well, I expected it. Even got a lil' discount! Will post pics as soon as I receive my package from shapeways!

• 1 month later...

I believe I had a mix of fat and thin hinges but I was able to succesfully reuse the original pins (page 5 of this topic).

The black looks really nice, I wouldn't have thought so :)

• 3 weeks later...

I was hoping I don't have to go back to this thread, but unfortunately I received a vf-1j with crack hinge. Where do i order the white hinges and how hard is it to take the pin out from the existing hinges? I am not very handy hope I don't break anything. :unsure:

plastik, on 27 Mar 2013 - 11:54, said:

yup that be it. here's a guide on how to do it

http://anymoon.com/blog/?p=3818

Awesome. Thanks buddy. Think I will order 2 sets since the shipping price is the same no matter how any sets you order. If anyone in the south bay area wants to order this and with reduce shipping cost, let me know. I am ordering this later in the week. Edited by dapro