VF-0 or VF-1 (includes variants) which do you like better?

leading edge

This is just a simple idea I've been kicking around. Which do I like better honestly it is a dead heat both are very good. I'm not talking features or tech I'm talking style which do you like here are some pics to help you.vf-1s-dyrl-roy-battroid.gif

first VF-1S batroid mode

vf-1s-fighter.gif

Fighter mode

vf-1s-gerwalk.gif

Gerwalk mode

Now VF-0

Battroid mode

vf-0s-battroid.gif

vf-0s-fighter.gif

Fighter mode

vf-0a-gerwalk.gif

I didn't get a Gerwalk for the S-type but this will do

Anyway thnk you Macross Mecha Manual for the pics.

Call me old-fashioned if you like (and I'll cheerfully cop to it if you do), but I prefer the VF-1. It's a classic. I'm especially fond of the DYRL versions of the A/J/S, and the enhanced versions of same ("Refined Valkyrie") from the Macross II prequel games.

While it's a nice design, and it looks damn pretty in Macross Zero, the VF-0 never really did much for me aesthetically. I know that it's meant to test new tech for VFs, and that by 2008 it's testing tech for the VF-4, but in trying to be visually impressive it came out looking too advanced for its period.

While it's a nice design, and it looks damn pretty in Macross Zero, the VF-0 never really did much for me aesthetically. I know that it's meant to test new tech for VFs, and that by 2008 it's testing tech for the VF-4, but in trying to be visually impressive it came out looking too advanced for its period.

naw

aside from the canopy being a display, everything is pretty rough

the main instrument panel is old style MFDs. Even the TV VF-1 has the touch screen of 80's power.

Visible tailhooks, huge exposed dorsal fuel tanks, lumpier heads, rough cylindrical biceps, chunky intakes, visible pitot tube on the nose, etc

It's like like an awkward combination of slicker things over older things just to compensate for its outdatedness.

I absolutely love the VF-0 over the VF-1, just look at the VF-0C/D. I think the the VF-0S looks better for the commander variant, just wish it had 4 head lasers instead of the 2. The head design is great and I think it just has sexist lines than VF-1.

Twich

Do you even have to ask? The VF-1 is the most classic macross desing ever!

It is beautiful and my personal favorite, because it's got only the necesary to make the idea of a variable fighter plausible.

The VF-0 is cool, but so damn weird. It is newer? it is older? For me it's like the VF-1's unwanted brother.

IT totally DEPENDS on what art are you basing likes & dislikes. not only the anime art used above as examples but model kit art from all era's. I enjoy it ALL but a lot of why i have a love affair with VF's, period, is the Pitaban artwork. Totally faking you out to buy those silly 1/200 scale 'toys' but so beautiful...

When they were coming up with the design for the VF-0's, unlike back during the SDF's era where i THINK they didnt show the F-14 as the direct lineage to inspire the VF-1 [That goes to the F-203 Dragon, forgotten now because HG's stranglehold] because of legal reasons [perhaps?] they didnt feel the need to worry about using real life sources for the back ground story.

i guess the real proof about who came first (the egg's VF-0 or the Chickenwalker VF-1) will be revealed if they ever reboot SDFM, using new art (probably DYRL) to finally remove the stain that HG continues to leave. I mean, Hollywood is certainly out of ideas, what's to say Japan doesnt have the same issues?

of course, im a stupid american, whattaiknow?

I love them both dearly, for different reasons. The VF-1 is iconic, it's the very first VF that anyone ever saw (Or would see until Flashback: 2012 in 1987), and will always have a special place in my memories.

The VF-0, while supposedly being a technology test bed for the upcoming VF-1 series, is a refined version of the VF-1 design. If there was ever a remake of the original series, I wouldn't be opposed to the VF-0 design being slightly redesigned and retconned as the VF-1.

-Kyp

I like the VF-0 alot, between its size, head designs and of course the VF-0D variant and just my personal opinion the fact its runs on a crazy turbo charged Afterburning turbine engine.

But in the end, its the Iconic VF-1 for me. Seeing it for the 1st time was breathtaking only to be out done the 1st time we ever see it with its Super Fast packs, makes it the Holy Grail for me!

VF-0.

If there was ever a remake of the original series, I wouldn't be opposed to the VF-0 design being slightly redesigned and retconned as the VF-1.

This.

Nostalgia alone can’t save the VF-1 for me anymore. After growing up with the design as my #1 favorite ever since I first saw and became inspired by SDF:Macross in the early 80’s, and owning multiple figures/toys and models of the VF-1, enough is enough. Time to move on. I rather see entirely new valks now.

For that reason I chose the VF-0. It’s basically a very realistic version of a VF-1 in terms of design.

I too will have to choose the VF-0. One is size, because I like big planes. The F-14 for example. Another, greater reason, is it's styling. Sure, the VF-1 is slim and sleak, but the Phoenix is just too damn beautiful. It's sexy!!

Which gives me an idea for a build. I should do one as Hikaru Ichijyo's, complete with the super packs!

Edited by Thom

They forgot about the F-203 because it's completely unimportant to the episode it appears in. The F-14 resonates with far more fans and non-fans than some generic near-future 80's anime fighter.

As a Macross fan (and Macross Zero was made for the fans) I would've appreciated it more if the F-203 was used instead of the ancient F-14. To me, the F-14 looked anachronistic.

I honestly believe that the F-203 is more important to Robotech fans than it is to most Macross fans.

The reason I said the F-14 resonates more with people is because it was this constant presence in the 1980's and was the VF-1's (and by extension, VF-0's) link to real world fighter planes. Old doujins about the VF-1 almost always had sections devoted to the F-14. Even the new Master Files sneak in a few F-14s.

By contrast, the F-203 is just a generic fighter jet that again wasn't important in the one episode it appears in. Other than being a nod to the original series, it doesn't serve much purpose story wise or in promoting Zero. Even in the episode it could have easily been just an upgraded F-14 in a similar vein to what Kawamori did with the F-15 and F-16 for the Patlabor movies.

aside from the canopy being a display, everything is pretty rough

Hrm... you've got a point there. I suppose the aesthetic beef with I have with it is mostly the cockpit interior... the block 6 type cockpit, with a nearly seamless wrap-around monitor of the sort we don't really see until decades later. Outside, it's pretty primitive by comparison. I still think I prefer the VF-1 tho.

I honestly believe that the F-203 is more important to Robotech fans than it is to most Macross fans.

Very probably, yes... and a large part of that would be the affection Robotech fans have for Roy, and the way Robotech tends to exaggerate him to a Chuck Norris-y extent. I'll admit, I was slightly disappointed that the F-203 didn't make it into Macross Zero, but it wasn't a deal-breaker for me.

VF-1 hands down. The overall simplistic design and S-type head with visor, faceplate and the four lasers make it an all-time favourite for me.

Now if the VF-1 had to go up against the VFX-1 "Schneeblume"...

The Schneeblume should have been the testbed for the VF-1. I'd kill for a 1/60 SW-XA1!!!

I will never understand what people see in those damn VFX designs. I swear, they are the ugliest designs in all of Macross that aren't in Macross II.

Edited by anime52k8

The Schneeblume should have been the testbed for the VF-1. I'd kill for a 1/60 SW-XA1!!!

Yeah, except that even though according to Mr. Kawamori this SW-XA1 is not part of the official series chronology, it’s actually the VF-1 that was chosen as the basis for its development…