help identifying my newly purchased Yamato 1/60 VF-1S ?

SkyfireWho

hey guys- 1st post; total noob status with macross figures

second of all I'd like to say I did search the TOYS FAQ pinned thread, and still could not find an answer

long story short:

- I purchased a "1/60 Yamato Robotech VF-1S Valkyrie Macross Roy Focker 'Do You Remember Love'" figure on eBay

- when I received it yesterday, I immediately noticed that it doesn't appear consistent with any products that I've seen online

- most notable in the transformation methods

- no hinge for the legs

- need to remove the legs in order to do any of the transformations

- this is in the instructions too

- there are holes in the nose cone section to insert the legs joints

- the cockpit is removeable; need to swap out the cockpit for the black face (skull) cover in order for the top piece to slide down properly

- the cockpit attachment has no figure within; just an empty seat

I dont want to accuse the seller for selling me a bootleg; seems like an honest guy and has a lot of positive feedback selling macross items

is it possible I purchased an older edition of this toy? looking around this forums Im seeing a lot of references of "version 2". is iti possible this is an older edition of the Yamato VF-1S?

thanks in advance guys.

*** mods- sorry for posting in the wrong thread. I just saw the "whats wrong with my..." pinned thread. ill post this there. apologies.

Edited by SkyfireWho

Yeah not v2. In the future, there's a noob question thread tagged above where I recommend you ask a ton of questions and post a link of the item you want before you buy. That's what I did. There are many versions of even the v2 that aren't "safe" that you need to avoid. Sorry about the bum luck man. It happens to the best of us.

what a FAIL for my first entry into collecting; this thing is such a pain to transform (and just made a significant dent in my wallet)

smh at myself

thanks so much Bridge, appreciate the quick answer

Hi, you just happen to sign up as we launched the new main page for our site too. Part of the project will be to update the database to point out all the different releases and hopefully even the minor bugs of each version.

Also, the Reivaj's screen name isn't bridge bunny... that's his post count rankings. :lol: Which don't really mean anything here on MW.

Enjoy your stay.

Well it's not really a fail, I'd rather call it "experience" ;-)

I hope it didn't cost you too much. V1 ain't that bad, it's just the full Gerwalk mod that (strongly) sucks (or I missed something with my VE-1 et VT-1).

Actually with time you'll easily recognize V1 and V2 by their general aspect and especially their legs (articulation / rotation on knee for v2, weird rotation 3/4 leg v1), look at their original hands too, V2 are articulated V1s' not.

Still, those V1 are perfect for cutomizing, look great as jets, nice as mid Gerwalk (arms in) and good as battroid (though a v2 is superior, they're still worth the buy if in good condition and quite affordable ).

If you just see the box, V2 have a flap top that recovers the box.

Last but not least, keep an eye on hlj, they frequently have 1/60 Yamato for sale last year I bought a V2 VF-1A (cannon fodder) and armor parts for less than 100€ (94 actually). You'll get a brand new V2 for cheap price ;-)

agreed. learning experience for sure. although not a complete bust, its just coping with the disappointment of not getting exactly what i thought I purchased, hahah. this V1 set me back near $100/shipped, so not sure if that was over/under spending on it. for what its worth, it was a sealed/unopened box.

im definitely going to start watching hlj in hopes to have better luck with my next purchase.

btw- since joining I've been browsing all the threads trying to learn more about everything. one thing Im noticing is a bias towards the Yamato's (as opposed to the Bandai's). Im sure theres a laundry list of reasons why one is better than the other, but is the argument mainly against construction, durability, price? i asked this in the pinned thread, but still has gone unanswered

Well it's not really a fail, I'd rather call it "experience" ;-)

I hope it didn't cost you too much. V1 ain't that bad, it's just the full Gerwalk mod that (strongly) sucks (or I missed something with my VE-1 et VT-1).

Actually with time you'll easily recognize V1 and V2 by their general aspect and especially their legs (articulation / rotation on knee for v2, weird rotation 3/4 leg v1), look at their original hands too, V2 are articulated V1s' not.

Still, those V1 are perfect for cutomizing, look great as jets, nice as mid Gerwalk (arms in) and good as battroid (though a v2 is superior, they're still worth the buy if in good condition and quite affordable ).

If you just see the box, V2 have a flap top that recovers the box.

Last but not least, keep an eye on hlj, they frequently have 1/60 Yamato for sale last year I bought a V2 VF-1A (cannon fodder) and armor parts for less than 100€ (94 actually). You'll get a brand new V2 for cheap price ;-)

Both Yamato and Bandai have their strengths and weaknesses.

In terms of durability neither company can claim to produce a worry free breakage toy. You really have to be careful when handling their toys like a high priced model.

Yamato wins - In terms of quality, ingenuity and accuracy for their Macross toy lines but at a very very high cost. The pilots are better in detail and color. When I started collecting, the cost for a Yammie would be around 150.00 in the 1/48 scale era. Now your looking close to 300.00 for the new releases. Ouch for that cost it doesn't surprise me when we start to nick pick or be a little more demanding for a perfect and flawless valkyrie.

Bandai wins - In terms of value for your money when they include extras such as a stand and more importantly it is fully tampo printed - so it is ready to play or display straight out of the box without the hassle of placing sticker decals accurately. Recently their Macross toy lines have started to look quite nice and very close to the linear works. At just about or less than 200.00 your toy is ready to go out of the box with a display stand.

In conclusion, neither is better than the other. I would compare Yamato to the Coca Cola the classic and Bandai as Pepsi the next generation. Either way if you have a particularly favorite valkyrie you will have no choice but to go with a particular toy company or just pray and wait for a version 3/renewal release. Just make sure you check up any prone breakage issues so you don't twist instead of turn on your new valkyrie. You can check out Jenius' website www.anymoon.com for his reviews on Yamato and Bandai's Macross toy lines.

Cheers

I think there's more of a bias towards Yamato, simply because they have a much more extensive list of Macross toys, and they do listen to us (or at least that's the perception). Bandai's line of Macross toys, while limited, has usually been on the lighter side, and with the mess of the version 1 VF-25 line, got a bad wrap. I will say that they have definitely put out a praise worthy show with the version 2 of them.

The initial bias against Bandai was probably because of their mis-step with the version 1 VF-25s. But other than that they built a better Koenig Monster, the awesome Infinity SD VF-25, the Alto EX-Gear figure (which is probably the best Macross action figure ever made, not that there's a lot). The Macross Quarter.

I think most of their greater achievements have been one offs that have never been reissued or doesn't enjoy an extensive recolor of some sort. Until the Ver.2 25s came out.

You know, for what it's worth.. you may have dodged a bullet by getting the old one by accident.

The early releases of the v.2 VF-1S had a design/manufacturing/assembly flaw that caused the shoulder hinges to break quite often. It's been fixed on later releases, but buying online is a crapshoot, so you never really know how old the stock you find could be.

While not quite as pretty, the one you got is probably plenty sturdy. :)

Not having a cockpit figure sounds odd though. I'm not familiar with the v.1 1/60 releases, but I thought they came with pilots.

Welcome to MW Skyfire,

Don't buy from ebay unless you're fully aware of the version and the going price for valks.

Check the buy, sell, trade here for valks already released http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showforum=9

Get used to preordering:

http://www.amiami.com/ my "go to" for new releases

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/ my old "go to"

http://www.hlj.com/ keep an eye on the threads for hlj sales

http://www.anime-export.com/ gotta pay upfront if your comfy with that.

I've used all of the above so those are the only ones I can recommend.