Romance in Anime Better or worse today?

This is just a thead on the themes and writing style of Anime in general pertaining to romance. I have my opinions on this subject but will be a impartial observer to the minds at this forum. Please add comments on any anime you see good romance or bad.

Here are my examples

The first SDFM and of course and the new Romeo X Julliet

Give me some feed back this is just to get interest in the topic. I have no idea what Romeo X Julliet is like but my frame of reference the first Macross series.

3828.jpg

Macross_Box_Set.jpg

Edited by leading edge

I've never seen RxJ, and Macross was something of a odd fish when it came out (having the post-battle episodes basically shifting into soap opera...).

In general, things seem pretty much the same - some standouts then and now, most of the stuff just being so so (like every other form of story telling)

I don't think the writing has changed too much, moreso than the animation style, and the age of us. I can almost guarantee that once the young viewers get older, they're going to remember Full Metal Alchemist, Gurren Laga, and all these popular animes, and say the same thing: "The new anime isn't as good as they used to make them in 2010."

On the whole I think it has gotten worse thanks to those awful harem animes, many of which seem to be based on romance simulation videogames. It's not so much the writing that's bad but rather the setup and the lead characters themselves.

I don't think the writing has changed too much, moreso than the animation style, and the age of us. I can almost guarantee that once the young viewers get older, they're going to remember Full Metal Alchemist, Gurren Laga, and all these popular animes, and say the same thing: "The new anime isn't as good as they used to make them in 2010."

Pretty much. People just need to take the nostagia goggles off.

Pretty much. People just need to take the nostagia goggles off.

"Wah wah wah. Today's anime isn't as good as yesterday's anime. Wah wah wah. I want things to go back to yesterday!"

Certain people should come to the realization that they're not getting any younger and kids these days don't follow the ways yesterday's generation. That includes their romance dramas among many things. Nostalgia always looks better than today. But we don't live in yesterday...

Unless there's some anime about a guy who goes back in time to become his own school teacher who gets his past self to hook up with the girl who he had feelings for but never shared them with while reliving all the stuff from his past, but also discovering that the girl he saw as a friend actually had feelings for him and that maybe he should get his younger self to look at her as more than a friend.... I need to write a manga if I keep this up...

Meh, I say same/better. Kare Kano, School Rumble, Clannad, Spice & Wolf, Utena, all great romantic series from the past 10-15 years. I also don't have a problem with Harem comedies, provided they don't forget that they're harem comedies. Tenchi Muyo Ryo-Ohki vs Tenchi Muyo TV are great examples of this. Ryo-Ohki never forgot what it was supposed to be, and as such, the resolution was the harem itself. Tenchi TV/Movies on the other hand completely missed the point, which is why the preference wound up falling with Ryoko in the last movie. Being part of the OVA universe, GXP revelled in its haremness, with a hilariously perfect ending.

I've yet to see a series of any kind that better embodies the epic journey of a man in love like School Rumble does, though FLCL comes pretty close. Equal parts heartwrenching & hilarious, with the only possible conclusion it could have, definately one of my favorites. Kare Kano is also pretty realistic in its portrayal of young love, though it doesn't heart that Anno has a talent for bringing drawing the audience into characters in a really short period of time.

I don't myself feel it is an issue of age but rather experience. Everbody when they write experiences something good or bad, and resolves or questions it through writing, art ,etc. Today isn't a question of how it is written but, what they have experienced or thought of themselves. I read somewhere Kurt Buisek said this once this is a para phrase essential he said that there are types for a story we use them all the time an clob aspets together but, essentially there are few that are the most appealing so we tell it over again. Macross for example paints Hikaru like the brave little taylor, Minmei as a peasant becoming a princess ( or moder equilavent a movie star). Essentially rags to riches. Stories are always around us sometimes they live on and other just lose appeal and are not told again.

Edited by leading edge

I have a pretty extensive anime library at home, roughly 300+ titles. All of them range from the 80s to current, and this doesn't count what is available through Netflix. What I've noticed, is that what some complain they don't like in anime "now" is just a different rendition of what was back then, the same style that they are claiming was good. For example, take the "Harem comedy" anime. There were the exact same formula animes in existence in the so-called glory days. Tenchi Muyo, Ranma 1/2 quickly come to mind. For the mecha shows, there's plenty to name. I think it really does come down to age. Many of these older animes were watched when we were more impressionable, or during a time when we didn't have so many things to crowd our time and thoughts. These older titles had more space to occupy then. When a lot of us watch anime now, it's on a day off from work, while being on the computer, in the middle of a meal, or while writing checks. Hopefully you get the point. The main change is us, I believe, not the anime story.

Secondly, I believe the move to CG and not 100% hand drawn really threw the older fans into a turn. To be honest, it took me awhile to adjust to not seeing the hand drawn stuff, or not to see the "anime magic" even as far-fetched as it got. I still get a little nostalgic when I see action sequences in Megazone 23, Gundam 0083, and the sort. However, it's just nostalgia, and when I watch current anime as objectively as possible, and with an open mind, I realize that the new stuff isn't bad at all.

I believe most of the work comes from reconnecting with the love of anime, without any roadblocks, or biases. Over the past year, I've been able to rediscover how good anime is, and all the new stuff out there. It's not worse, it's not even really all that different, there's just a lot more to choose from, compared to 15+ years ago. It's still just as good as it was then, I believe it just takes the older anime fan a little more work to get to that place to openly see that.

Color for me the color is better but the lack of imperfections in drawing seem very too perfect. It is like looking at a straight line or a perfect angle so shape to crisp, so unpalatable. Color went from more opaque to electric in the 90's then to the HD color it is today. I'm not saying advancement is bad but mood is necessary. Line texture that is even reduces weight your mind sees it but can't quite make out why it is put off. Romance can bee about mood more subtle things without unsaid elements the piece loses character.

here is an exampl Princess Mononoke

Princess-Mononoke-hayao-miyazaki-14490114-1024-768.jpgGake%20no%20ue%20no%20Ponyo%201.jpg

Ponyo 2009

puella-magi-madoka-magica.jpg magical madoka 2011

Honestly this in't quite what I mean but color tells a story too. And what is telling is perfection.

Perfectly shaped lines tend to be boring they need something that distinguishes them from other characters.

Miyazaki quite frankly shows this his characters are very smilar but chage enough at things here there you have something new.

I don't see it that way I feel the industry uses too much to accomplish too little. They set their eyes on technology to impress people and focus on an effect rather than a idea or person character is left out. Whether good animation or bad if the idea is great and is done well it will be received. Anime is better than it ever has been except passion , and soul. Series need to can what happens humanity is being leeched away by this" idea of perfection" rather than just writing about something you know about. If you know love write love, if you know action write action, if you know comedy write to make us laugh.

Anime is better than it ever has been except passion , and soul.

Say that to the people working on these shows.

If you know love write love, if you know action write action, if you know comedy write to make us laugh.

Then why are you using you using romance from a mecha space opera as your example as opposed to romance from a romanced-theme show like say...Kare Kano?

Because most of everyone has seen it on the forum.

Won't it be better to use shows that have romance as their central theme than a mecha space opera? Romance in other genres are somewhat boiled down to the essential component. Guy picks the girl and that's it or the line is hinted at but never crossed, usually never becoming the focal point of the show. In a romantic-themed series, the guy picks the girl, but that doesn't necessarily end the story. In fact, it's used as a point to explore the relationship. And this formula hasn't changed much. So if the formula hasn't changed, then perhaps your perception of the story has.

Perception changes yes but, it also evolves. As I've said experience grows fertile ground for story telling. The reason why experience, is because we have felt experienced something and respond to it maybe not the same way but we understand enought to get some of it. A kind of experience is a sort of universal kind of bond that connects us by a shared experience. Macross if you look at it as a theme alot of it has romance. Take other Kawamori works : Escaflowne, Aquarion, and the like they have a theme based in relationships if not romance. Besides if a genere was entirely based in romance it would eventually need some sub plots to diversify itself. Having a show devoted entirely to romance may not have the same appleal unless you add the right elements of story telling( drama, comedy, tragedy, and inciting action). Besides my beef isn't with a particular element in the industry it is a general style writers are taking and director's which is style over substance. If there is toomuch style the audience must be bombarded and stimulated to reach a new high. If they are too sbstance oriented they there is less entertainment value and they become disinterested. The 30 second rule is becoming the 15 second rule eventually the 5 second rule. The answer lies in their ability to stay interested. What I want with romance is less to give meaning to more. Being more driven by a character motivation and less about how in awe we are what a technical achievement more how we repond to it. Romance is a response to an innate desire to be connected beyond our own existence. And Love is the well being of one another that directly correlated to our own happiness.