GBA games...

Vostok 7

Word to the wise: Gamestop is running a buy two used games, get one for free promotion, but Saturday 12-6 is the last day. Might be a good time to stock up.

Looks like I'm heading to Gamestop/Funcoland this weekend and early! B))

~G25

All you FFTA-dislikers:

Did you like the first one?  Yes, FFTA is inferior to FFT, but it's not very different from it.  It's more of the same, not quite as good.  But that still makes it better than most strat. games.

FFTA is no where near the original in quality. What Square did was strip FFT of any plot, remove job points, add FFIX system of spell/ability learning, made earning money a bitch, turned the game into an annoying mission based RPG, killed the soundtrack, and added the ever so annoying and oh so unnecessary judge system. Seriously... I played the game for 20 hours straight. Hate the characters, couldn't earn any money, had yet to see any sign of a story, and felt like ripping my ears off. The soundtrack is so bad it makes Harmony of Dissonace sound good. Its defenetly not more of the same. Its basically scraps released on the strength of the FF franchise, and the hardcore fanbase of FFTA.

And don't even get me started on the equipment system. I like RPGs... but the last thing I want is to browse through a long list of items for 30 minutes and still not be able to buy the right stuff.

And no... I did not want more of the same.... I wanted an enjoyable game.... which FFTA clearly is not.

And by strategy games.... you mean strategy RPGs? Its certainly not better then Tactics Ogre, or Fire Emblem, or Advance Wars, or Disgaea.

Edited by Abombz!!

All you FFTA-dislikers:

Did you like the first one?  Yes, FFTA is inferior to FFT, but it's not very different from it.  It's more of the same, not quite as good.  But that still makes it better than most strat. games.

FFTA is no where near the original in quality. What Square did was strip FFT of any plot, remove job points, add FFIX system of spell/ability learning, made earning money a bitch, turned the game into an annoying mission based RPG, killed the soundtrack, and added the ever so annoying and oh so unnecessary judge system. Seriously... I played the game for 20 hours straight. Hate the characters, couldn't earn any money, had yet to see any sign of a story, and felt like ripping my ears off. The soundtrack is so bad it makes Harmony of Dissonace sound good. Its defenetly not more of the same. Its basically scraps released on the strength of the FF franchise, and the hardcore fanbase of FFTA.

And don't even get me started on the equipment system. I like RPGs... but the last thing I want is to browse through a long list of items for 30 minutes and still not be able to buy the right stuff.

And by strategy games.... you mean strategy RPGs? Its certainly not better then Tactics Ogre, or Fire Emblem, or Advance Wars, or Disgaea.

I liked the judge thing. It forces you to think out your battles a little more. Afterall the word "tactics" is in the title. ;)

All you FFTA-dislikers:

I liked the judge thing. It forces you to think out your battles a little more. Afterall the word "tactics" is in the title. ;)

Sure... .but how much thinking did it really require? :rolleyes:

I'd disagree its the worst title out of square. I'd give it to most Final Fantasys after 7. FFT IS a classic. In my list of greatest games ever its probably around #3, Behind X-Com UFO defence, and Starcraft. (Thats my list, don't tell me why there are better, I think its a pretty respectable one to be honest) so it would be difficult to measure it up to such a perfect game.

I'd agree though that FFTA made a major booh booh removing the Job points system. I think it is a trend that square has been moving to recyling old stuff... but its not as bad as FF 8, 9 or 10 for that matter. I think the quest system is a good change from the old, hackneyed storyline that is completely based off being an outsider, struggling to survive then finding this sinister ulterior threat to the world who the hereos must overcome to save the world. FFT's way of presenting the story was waaaay more realistically thought out and it was better. FFTA does seem to be oriented to a bit younger audience... and its a bit toungue in cheek as well. So take it as it is. ITs definately not the worst offering, but it has much room to improve (which I said before.)

Hey does tactics ogre battles still not allow you to manipulate the units. That was what put me off the first Ogre battles because I couldn't control the individual units and I was often like... "why did you just attack him?" Imthinking advance wars 2 will be my next buy, then another RPG.

I'd disagree its the worst title out of square. I'd give it to most Final Fantasys after 7. FFT IS a classic. In my list of greatest games ever its probably around #3, Behind X-Com UFO defence, and Starcraft. (Thats my list, don't tell me why there are better, I think its a pretty respectable one to be honest) so it would be difficult to measure it up to such a perfect game.

Come on! You can't tell me FF8,9 and 10 were worse then The Bouncer and Driving Emotion Type S! :D

Why don't you like Sword of Mana? Did you play the Jap. release, or are you going off of the first version. I liked the first one alot, even after playing the SNES one in the series.

I played the Japanese version. Maybe I just didn't play it enough, but it seemed kind of slow in pacing, and the combat system is kind of... I don't know how to explain it. It just didn't feel right. I have the same complaints about Seiken Densetsu 3... a shame really, since Secret of Mana was one of my favorite SNES games. I don't know, if you guys feel so strongly about it, maybe I'll give it another whirl when the American one comes out.

Come on! You can't tell me FF8,9 and 10 were worse then The Bouncer and Driving Emotion Type S! :D

oooooh yeah... that game(Driving). I thought I forgot about that one.

My friend bought it as one of his first games for PS-2 (Its square, its gotta be good right?) and he is a car game freak.....I think he was wondering whether he should throw out the whole system, or just the game....

Haven't played bouncer... but from the numerous warnings... I'm sure I never will. Then again, do I want to play as the bane of my existance on saturday night?.. doubt it

All you FFTA-dislikers:

Did you like the first one? Yes, FFTA is inferior to FFT, but it's not very different from it. It's more of the same, not quite as good. But that still makes it better than most strat. games.

I never played the original. I was just at the store one day, looking for a portable game with some meat to it. Don't get me wrong, I love some of those other games like Wario Ware or Megaman, but Wario Ware isn't exactly the kind of game that you play for days, and I have a nasty habit of beating Megaman games the same week I buy them (in some cases, less than a day, but hey, Zero 2 and X7 came out on the same day...). I'd heard good things about FFTA, so I picked it up... and I don't really have a problem with the battle engine. I just wish that there was a game around that battle engine. Without exploring and talking and all that good stuff, it's just battle after battle after battle... mind-numbing, really. I mean, there's some extra thinking and stuff involved in that kind of battle than other RPGs... but still, I always hated fighting constantly to level up before fighting bosses. So, I'm not saying that the game is crap and that if you see it you should flush it down the toilet or something... but I am saying that FFTA is not for everyone.

Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3

Worst Mario ever... avoid it like Dracula avoids a cross.

Want suggestions?

-Yoshis Island (best Mario game, hands down)

Uh, yeah... other way around.

I grew up playing the 8-bit Marios (and eventually, the 16-bit one). Super Mario Bros came with my NES. I didn't care much for SMB 2, but I loved SMB 3. I used to watch the SMB 3 cartoon on Saturday mornings, then run into my room to play the game. Super Mario World was great too... and then game Yoshi's Island. Boy, was that game dissapointing. It's like they recycled the worlds from World (kudos for the crayon art style, though. Worked good for Kirby, too), but they replaced all the characters with lamer ones.

While we're at it, I hated Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine, too. I mean, despite having Mario characters, they were nothing like the classic Mario games. Since they finally got through all the old Mario games, I kinda hope they come out with a new 2D Mario on GBA.

Which reminds me, Capcom is making a new 2D Zelda for GBA. :lol:

Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3

Worst Mario ever... avoid it like Dracula avoids a cross.

Want suggestions?

-Yoshis Island (best Mario game, hands down)

Uh, yeah... other way around.

I grew up playing the 8-bit Marios (and eventually, the 16-bit one). Super Mario Bros came with my NES. I didn't care much for SMB 2, but I loved SMB 3. I used to watch the SMB 3 cartoon on Saturday mornings, then run into my room to play the game. Super Mario World was great too... and then game Yoshi's Island. Boy, was that game dissapointing. It's like they recycled the worlds from World (kudos for the crayon art style, though. Worked good for Kirby, too), but they replaced all the characters with lamer ones.

While we're at it, I hated Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine, too. I mean, despite having Mario characters, they were nothing like the classic Mario games. Since they finally got through all the old Mario games, I kinda hope they come out with a new 2D Mario on GBA.

Which reminds me, Capcom is making a new 2D Zelda for GBA. :lol:

I grew up palying NES Super Mario games.... but unlike most of you... I actually played the original Super mario 2 along with the game that gave birth to Super Mario USA.

As far as Super Mario 3 goes.... I always felt like hurting ppl who would always suggest playing that game. Seriously.... what was the point of all those different suits... really. And the short lvs, and the last 2 annoying worlds. The only good it did was open the doors for Super Mario World. I rank it as low as Super Mario 64.

Now Yoshis Island.... that was a fun game. It was original, something mario games were lacking, had great graphics, and Yoshi was fun to play with. And it was anything but a rehash of World. As far as Sunshine goes.... I kind of liked it... though I have mixed feelings about it.

I have the same complaints about Seiken Densetsu 3

Seiken Densetsu 3 was slow paced? Are you sure you played it long enough? I can assure you... once you do the class lv up quests, the game is anything but slow paced.

I never played the original.

Then you owe it to yourself to get the original, and non sucky, FFT.

Nonsense!!! Squall and Rinoa forever!!!

FF VIII is the greatest FF EVER!!!

:D

I am an Unapologetic FF VIII fan!!

Maybe the worse of the bunch.... FFVIII made me realize where Square was going, and it was just as bad (maybe even worse after)

Final Fantasy Tactics was so very original in its own way. It had the most original engine, as Engrossing Huge story that really made it feel plasuable, and you were really doing something different. The Job classes for characters were well thought out very customizable. I've seen so many different character parties on the net and they all look so different (except the uber ultimate ones with all dancers or calculators). The coolest combo ever was (little cliquism here) Monk's bare handed with Ninja's two hands and hamedo. Ramza was sick sick sick with that combo.

Is Tactics ogre better than FFTA? I'm looking for another game now.

I'm with you there isamu!!!

I loved FF8!!! For reasons I can't fully explaine or understand....

Let's not forget Poke'mon, and I'm not kidding here, they're actually incredibly fun and addicting games, and perfectly portable as you can set them down at a moment's notice if you have to...unless you're low on battery power and need to get out of a battle to save. They're especially fun if you're a fan of really oldschool RPGs, like everything FF6 and earlier, as it's all about levelling up your characters.

Metroid Fusion definitely lacks a lot of what made the Metroid franchise such a classic, replacing exploration and mood with really bad pesudo-philisophical monologues, and a computer and an alien parasite that goes entirely against the grain of the Metroid franchises naming scheme. Samus Aran, Ridley, Kraid, Adam....which doesn't fit here? Metroids, Zoomers, Shrike Bats...X Parasite?

Samus in her bounty hunter armour, the space pirates, Ridley and Kraid....mysterious politician in a business suit.

The game is also far too linear. But at it's core, it still has the classic Metroid gameplay, and that makes it forgivable. I do hope that Metroid Zero will be lacking these problems altogether, though. It's a remake of the original Metroid, so they'd really have to go out of their way to add crap like that.

Still, I reccomend it. It is fun to play, even if it's not classic Metroid goodness. Suprisingly enough, Metroid Prime feels more like Super Metroid than Fusion does. I guess that's what comes from Metroid being a flop in Japan and a hit in America.

The Mega Man Zero games are a whole lot of fun, with a great difficulty curve if you're tired of today's games being too easy. Of course, once you beef up Zero enough, the game becomes a whole lot easier, but it takes time to get there.

There's also Mega Man & Bass (Rockman & Forte sounds so much better) which is a lot of fun, and also pretty high on the difficulty curve as far as later Rockman games go.

The Advance Wars games need to be mentioned again, just because they're so great! My absolute favourite franchise for the GBA. If you like strategy games, they're a must have.

I am not saying its a bad game. When it comes to FF.... every single game has flaws that balance the series off. Theres no best FF game... if you were to analyse them.... they would all turn out to be even.

OK, here are my suggestions:

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo - This game just plain owns. It's the best puzzle game I have EVER played, and the GBA version is an amazingly good port. Even all of the voices and music are there!

Madden 2003 - C'mon, I'm the first one to recommend a sports game? Hey, I LOVE football. Madden 2003 is really an excellent game with pretty good AI. Lots of plays, lots of spontaneous surprises. If you ever played Madden on the SNES or Genesis, then you should really check this one out.

Advance Wars 1 and 2 - These games are SO much fun. They remind me ever so slightly of Conflict on the NES. (I used to be addicted to that game.) I'd strongly recommend playing the first one before you try the second one, though, or you'll have a hard time following the story. These games are very challenging and will definitely keep you coming back for more. There are also LOTS of unlockables to earn as you work your way through the campaigns.

F-Zero Maximum Velocity - An AMAZING racing game. I loved this one tremendously... until I realized that the computer is an outright cheat. On higher difficulty levels, many of the computer cars will outrun you even though they don't have the stats to be able to. I was infuriated when I learned about this, but I'd still recommend the game highly.

I am not saying its a bad game. When it comes to FF.... every single game has flaws that balance the series off. Theres no best FF game... if you were to analyse them.... they would all turn out to be even.

thats true. i agree. :D

I think, however, people like to give VIII the short end of the stick, and i really don't see what the big deal is. sure, the Junction system blew ass, but i play games as much for story as for mechanics, and i loved the story. B))

I think, however, people like to give VIII the short end of the stick, and i really don't see what the big deal is. sure, the Junction system blew ass, but i play games as much for story as for mechanics, and i loved the story.

True.... but in this case the mechanics really got in the way. And as far as character development goes.... FFVIII was pretty thin. Only Squall and Rinoa really got any development what-so-ever. Quistis got some up untill Rinoa showed up. Zell, Selphie and Irvine got really really low development.

And seriously.... theres something really wrong with a game that choses what characters you can use in the final battle.... specially since a new one may or may not jump in if one of them fall..... really really annying. <_<

Don't even get me started on the random nature of Squals limit break.... if I went through the trouble to get Lion Heart.... why would I want to use anything under it? Its like having Omnislash but use Cross Slash instead. :angry:

Edited by Abombz!!

I have the same complaints about Seiken Densetsu 3

Seiken Densetsu 3 was slow paced? Are you sure you played it long enough? I can assure you... once you do the class lv up quests, the game is anything but slow paced.

I never played the original.

Then you owe it to yourself to get the original, and non sucky, FFT.

Yet again, I'm going to agree to disagree with you. But I did indeed play the real SMB 2, in the form of "The Lost Levels" on the SNES. I got my SNES the year that Nintendo gave away All Stars. ;)

Anyway, as for Seiken Densetsu 3, I remember talking to someone who told me about class leveling or something, but not actually doing any of the quests. I'd say I played it for several hours, though.

And as for FFT, the general agreement is that FFT had a better battle system and was better overall than FFTA. But, aren't they both really a series of tactical battles with a coating of confusing plot? Because my problem with FFTA wasn't really that they dumbed it down from the original or anything, just that I was hoping for more of a hybrid of strategy and RPG.

I don't know anybody that liked FF8's mechanics... that was the main complaint IIRC. The story was good though.

The laws don't really matter in FFT:A because you can just use anti-laws. Plus you get mad bank doing missions etc... So it sounds like you really didn't understand how to play if it was that large a concern for you. To each his/her own I suppose.