VT-1 roulette... worth playing?

ultraman zoffy

Hey folks, just looking to gather a few opinions. I have a chance to buy a V2 1/60 VT-1 from someone on another forum I frequent, brand new in box. Thing is, I know all about the likeliness that this thing has the knurled shoulder pins, so I wanted to gather some feedback on whether it's a sale worth moving on. $200 for a toy that I'm almost certainly going to have to perform repair work on is something I'm not all that cool with, but knowing it may be one of the rare shots to get one of these is making me consider it.

So all you VT-1 owners that purchased one after the shoulder problems were identified, how did you make the decision and what repairs or steps did you take to fix your valks? Thanks in advance. :)

Luckily, when I got mine, I was able to get replacement hinges for mine. I bought this before getting those, simply because it was a toy I really, really had to have. I don't think anyone can answer that question for you. However, if I wer you, I'd try to protect myself as much as possible with the purchase, if you really want it.

Also.. while it's kind of a lame way to justify broken shoulders.. you really didn't see much of the VT-1 using its arms at all, did you? :p

I got bad shoulders in mine, but never actually discovered it until someone suggested looking, because I never transformed mine past dropping the legs. Most of the iconic shots of the VT-1 in DYRL were either pure fighter, or half gerwalk, so I've never really had the urge to take it all the way to battroid.

Also.. while it's kind of a lame way to justify broken shoulders.. you really didn't see much of the VT-1 using its arms at all, did you? :p

Haha... yeah, there's that logic too. I do plan on handling the toy every so often though, so working arms is a plus for me.

In any case, I know seeking out replacement hinges is nearly impossible right now, so I did the only other thing I can think of to deal with the issue: grabbed a brand new V2 Max TV 1A from some guy on Craigslist for $60 for spare parts in case things get funky on my other "preferred" valks. I'll give the shoulder pin surgery route a go first and see how that works out, but if not, peace out Max. lol

If you are a completist, then you don't have too much of a choice. There is only 1 release of the VT-1, so it is this or nothing.

Possibility of a reissue? Maybe, but it's quite a gamble.

If you are more of a display person rather than play type, then it's even clearer: just get it.

Get it!!!

I'm not justifying the cracked shoulders issue, but in many cases it's not that both arms will inevitably fall off, but rather develop cracks and stop there.

Taking out the knurled pins and shaving off the knurled end is enough.

SO... the VT-1 is now mine!! :) In order to provide myself with some leverage, I haggled with the owner of the shop by stating that I'd pay cash for it on the spot if he let me open up the valk in the store and inspect it. Lo and behold, a partially cracked shoulder hinge and stress marks on the opposite hinge. This irrefutable proof, and the fact that I knew that the valk had been sitting for ages on the shelf, netted me a discount down from $209 to $155. The valk is now sitting in surgery, pins pulled, super glued hinge plastic, waiting for my dremel battery to charge to smooth the knurling out. Oddly, I'm actually glad that it ended up being cracked in the box, since my whole spiel to the owner about it being prone to cracking didn't end up looking like major b.s. lol... in order to not burn bridges though, I did mention that if he was somehow able to leverage his store owner powers to get some replacement hinges from Yamato directly or through a distributor somehow, he could sell the other few 1/60 v2's on his shelf full price by giving the buyers the hinges along with them (and seeing as how his remaining stock were all on the avoid list, I'm sure he'll appreciate that). Thanks for all the help fellow MW'ers!

406172_10150602544369254_507184253_10780883_2088723017_n.jpg