Variable Fighter Master File VF-0

Penguin

Good find Veef! Glad to know that this darn thing is still coming out.

Yeah, they built it into the story. Semi-plausible... fiction gets to have that sort of fun I guess. I've always assumed that pretty much the entirety of the planet was wiped out in SW1 though. Finding old tech was never something I'd considered.

Remember though, the Master Files arent 'canon' (uhoh...I said the C word!). They are more like glorified dojinshi in some respects.

They're flying one with an 11? How many of these survived Space War 1? They're playing fast and loose with this prototype idea huh? (I suppose Zero did as well really considering test craft aren't usually also flown in combat.)

I think the constant reuse/reappearance of the VF-0 is simply the desire of the Macross owners to use existing content for the Macross property. Since it's creation the VF-0 is a sellable design for Macross, so why not try to feature the design as much as possible? If the writing and continuity of the Macross franchise have to be "adjusted" so they can sell more products with the VF-0 included within those products, why not? Besides, a lot of time and effort went into designing the VF-0 so I can understand the desire to sell it to adoring Macross fans :)

Edited by Mr March

Remember though, the Master Files arent 'canon' (uhoh...I said the C word!). They are more like glorified dojinshi in some respects.

Technically it's: "Not part of the official setting". Japanese sources tend not to use canon. Religious connotations?

Edited by sketchley

Technically it's: "Not part of the official setting". Japanese sources tend not to use canon. Religious connotations?

Not really. IMO its worded that way because Japanese are so much more lenient when it comes to stuff that's NOT part of the official setting. Which, as I'm sure you know, vastly outnumbers the official stuff.

Yay!

Double yay as it's got the SV-51 to beef things up (hopefully some more info on the SV-52, too).

Now just to find a local store that carries it [or skip the drama and order online; decisions, decisions].

A nice "This is Animation" style Macross Zero book would have been nice....but this will have to do...looking forward to it.....

Sadly, the This is Animation series of books have gone out of vogue (at least for Macross properties). Even a Newtype 100% Collection would be nice, but alas... young kids these days, they just don't care as much about books with B&W mecha lineart...

And there's a section about the VF-3000 too! How exciting!

Given that we already got a section on that in the 2nd VF-1 book, I'm not expecting too much on that.

GA, give me a book on the VF-5000 already, thank you!

Edited by sketchley

• 2 weeks later...

So the Master File F-14...is this a real thing? If so, I'd like to get my hands on one.

I bought the Master File Shinden already so it'd be nice to change it up with real airplanes too ;)

I wonder why they're working in the 3000? They already built the models but they aren't funded well enough to pop out a book on them alone? Or there aren't anymore VF-1 books to stuff them in?

Hopefully they'll et some of the other books/fighters out. They already have CG models for the 11, 17, 171, 21/22, 27, 29 from the other four books. Seems like they could slap together a few more from all of that. Too bad they couldn't get a VF-4 one out in time for 2012 either.

I like the images they have there so far. Looks like they're getting better at lighting their own images. Some of those VF-1/19 pics were pretty horrible in terms of visibility.

I wonder why they're working in the 3000? They already built the models but they aren't funded well enough to pop out a book on them alone? Or there aren't anymore VF-1 books to stuff them in?

The latest blog VF5SS provided a link for states why. Basically the development of the VF-0 has been covered in the two VF-1 books. So the SV-51 was added to bolster those sections as a parallel development, and the VF-3000 was added (and existing sections in the preceding books expanded upon) to show the developments from the VF-0.

Amazon Japan also announced yesterday that there was a delay with shipping the book.

Deciding to release it right in the middle of two national holidays probably doesn't help in getting the book out efficiently...