are they joking with those prices? :(

Why the hell do Japanese people put up with these prices? There's no way this stuff is more nitch/more expensive to produce than stuff you see over here at a fraction of the price.

nothing on bandaivisual's site regarding bd-editions of DYRL or Plus, yet.

hopefully when they do become available, the pricing won't be as insane as this TV's bd-pricing.

I'm pretty sure they'll spread out the releases. We probably won't get anything more than this and DYRL in 2012. Wouldn't be any fun if they gave us everything we wanted all at once.

I'm pretty sure they'll spread out the releases. We probably won't get anything more than this and DYRL in 2012. Wouldn't be any fun if they gave us everything we wanted all at once.

kinda funny scheduling, tho.

during the hd-remaster days, Plus-HDremaster(8/07) was released first and followed by DYRL-HDremaster(12/07), while TV-HDremaster was last (2/08).

now we only got TV-BD release-announcement for 5/12.

reckon it would be totally awesome if the Yammie VF-4G will be released alongside DYRL-BD. :D

Edited by treatment

I just hope the releases are spaced far enough apart to allow for saving in between.

Escaflowne and Gunbuster BD Boxes in February, SDF in May, hopefully a summer full of employment and paycheques after that before the super duper DYRL BD Box to supplement the delicious DVD box from 2007. That was the first thing I ever ordered from amazon japan and my god were those two little books worth it. What could they possibly include in the BD release?

Edited by TMBounty_Hunter

btw, just looking at the msrp from cdj:

TV-HDremaster == 38000y

TV-BD == 39900y

TV-BDLE == 47250y

so based on that, I can speculate that the eventual DYRL-BD will be around 8700y for the non-LE and the DYRL-BDLE will be at 19050y.

prepare thy behinds already! :o:p

just hope for a better exchange-rate soon...

Edited by treatment

Oh man. Complete edition comes with a reprint of perfect memory too. I guess it better. At those prices they should reprint all the this is animation books and add in a pachinko game. I'm just wondering if that means PM will be available again.

I actually thought that the Macross 7 Blu-ray would come first. I know there were issues with this particular release because they were supposed to have a Mikimoto cover art, but it still wasn't finished (as of last month)... Still, I'm sure they will put it up eventually, like they showed placeholders for the box set of the Sayonara no Tsubasa movie way after the announcement because Tenjin didn't have time to breathe.

during the hd-remaster days, Plus-HDremaster(8/07) was released first and followed by DYRL-HDremaster(12/07), while TV-HDremaster was last (2/08).

No love for M7 :(

ok.

here are the amj-preorder pages (standard 26% amj-discount):

LE (34,965y)== http://www.amazon.co...uct/B006QRCBG2/

non-LE (29,526y) == http://www.amazon.co...uct/B006QRCBFI/

dunno how much amj charges for foreign-shipping (still 2000y?) nowadays, tho.

make sure you also account for your countries' VAT and/or whatever-else-tax.

nothing on CDJapan, yet, but they're usually (but not always) at 5-10% off-msrp on preorders.

Most of the preorder discounts im seeing from various online retailers make this pretty reasonable by Japanese standards -ie, around 35000yen for the complete edition.

HD versions of the reanimated pachinko footage....hell yes!

And to anyone complaining about the price, yes these are totally normal prices for Japan. Anime is a niche market with content producers obsessed with cashing in on the concept of 'premium' content while hardcore fans have a culture of investing in said content to prove how big of a fan they are. The fan community rips people who pirate stuff to utter shreds in some circles.

And let's not kid ourselves here, original Macross is a very very niche property, even in Japan.

But I digress! Preorder is placed! Now I'm off to grab a beer or 3 with Save ヾ(@⌒ー⌒@)ノ

Here's the ANN article on it. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-01-05/1st-macross-series-gets-bd-box-with-pachinko-footage

Finally a reason for me to put up with the odd remaster colors.

Talks about the pricing in Japan remind me of the real reason BV shut down Bandai Entertainment.

Freakin' finally! Though, if the video quality is solid, then I'll be glad that Bandai Visual took so long to release this set. Better to take their time and get it right on the first try rather than rush some shovelware onto the market. Anyone who purchased Bandai's first run of SDF Macross DVD's can attest to this.

Fans who bought the SDF Macross VHS tapes and laserdiscs back in the day are probably laughing at today's fans complaining about the Blu-ray's pricetag. Believe it not, as far as first runs go, this is the cheapest version of SDF Macross ever released in Japan. If you take into account inflation, then this set is an absolute steal.

• SDF Macross VHS Tape (1 of 9) - ¥13,184
  • SDF Macross VHS Set (set of all 9) - ¥118,656
  • SDF Macross Memorial LD Box Set - ¥58,000
  • SDF Macross DVD Box Set (1 of 3) - ¥15,000
  • SDF Macross DVD Box Set (set of all 3) - ¥45,000
  • SDF Macross BD Box Set (Regular Edition) - ¥39,900
  • SDF Macross BD Box Set (Complete Edition) - ¥47,250

Okay, so the BD Complete Edition is little more expensive than the first run DVD set, but when it includes a copy of Memory Perfect along with a slew of bells and whistles, then I think the price is justified.

I actually thought that the Macross 7 Blu-ray would come first. I know there were issues with this particular release because they were supposed to have a Mikimoto cover art, but it still wasn't finished (as of last month)... Still, I'm sure they will put it up eventually, like they showed placeholders for the box set of the Sayonara no Tsubasa movie way after the announcement because Tenjin didn't have time to breathe.

No love for M7 :(

According to this news site, Macross 7 is the next BD set to be produced:

なお、他の「マクロス」シリーズも順次BD化を予定しており、第2弾として「マクロス7」BD化プロジェクトが始動しているという。

The other "Macross" series are planned to be released on Blu-ray. Work on "Macross 7," the second BD-release project is reported to have started.

http://www.phileweb.com/news/d-av/201201/06/30052.html

Although there are complaints about the pricing, I'm OK with it. It is Japan, not America, so the pricing is standard. I was hoping that it would not be above 40,000 yen MSRP for the complete set, but it's still cheaper per episode than Gunbuster or Escaflowne. Plus, the extras seem nice, although I was hoping for a reproduction of the proposal pamphlet shown in the Remaster DVD-Box book. The "Perfect Memory" book is a reprint in a smaller size (probably BD or DVD case), which I'm glad since I have two copies of the originals and shipping that would just add another $50 or so.

Prices are what I'd expect from Japan's crazy prices for this stuff in general. It can't be helped.

but oh man do I really want that

Too bad I can't afford it

(it's pretty funny the translations for HD remastered eps were just recently finished and now we get BDHD...)

Edited by Xard

I'd like to see just how big difference is there between the BD and DVDHD quality. The show is so old after all...

Still, all that collectible stuff oh god. I wanted storyboards for Sayonara (script was ok tho') but I would've never even dreamed of such ancient storyboards for original show being around... do want

gahh at this rate I end up saving and getting it anyway lol

Freakin' finally! Though, if the video quality is solid, then I'll be glad that Bandai Visual took so long to release this set. Better to take their time and get it right on the first try rather than rush some shovelware onto the market. Anyone who purchased Bandai's first run of SDF Macross DVD's can attest to this.

Fans who bought the SDF Macross VHS tapes and laserdiscs back in the day are probably laughing at today's fans complaining about the Blu-ray's pricetag. Believe it not, as far as first runs go, this is the cheapest version of SDF Macross ever released in Japan. If you take into account inflation, then this set is an absolute steal.

• SDF Macross VHS Tape (1 of 9) - ¥13,184
  • SDF Macross VHS Set (set of all 9) - ¥118,656
  • SDF Macross Memorial LD Box Set - ¥58,000
  • SDF Macross DVD Box Set (1 of 3) - ¥15,000
  • SDF Macross DVD Box Set (set of all 3) - ¥45,000
  • SDF Macross BD Box Set (Regular Edition) - ¥39,900
  • SDF Macross BD Box Set (Complete Edition) - ¥47,250

Okay, so the BD Complete Edition is little more expensive than the first run DVD set, but when it includes a copy of Memory Perfect along with a slew of bells and whistles, then I think the price is justified.

You forgot to include the HD remastered DVD set.

Q3 :)

Graham

I was referring to Treatment's post of the DVD HD remasters and their order of release. He totally missed out M7.

Actually, you know what? I might cancel this one and get M7 on Bluray instead. I don't think I can justify both, and I already have Macross on DVD, whereas M7 I only own on some LD and some VHS, with several episodes missing. I haven't seen the show from start to finish in about a decade.

It's gonna be tough, but I think I need to make a choice here..... Bring on the details of the M7 release!

You forgot to include the HD remastered DVD set.

Actually, I purposely left that one out. I was only listing the prices of first run SDF Macross sets because re-releases have tended to have lower MSRPs. If I'm not mistaken, the DVD HD remaster was the third time SDFM was released on DVD.

Btw, thanks for letting us know that Big West set the price on the BD set, I didn't know that. Is this how things are normally done between Big West and Bandai Visual?

Btw, thanks for letting us know that Big West set the price on the BD set, I didn't know that. Is this how things are normally done between Big West and Bandai Visual?

Still trying to look into that, but everything is so secretive in Japan (I mean, they're f*ckin' cartoons, not state secrets! This ain't f#$%ing Wikileaks!), that I'm having a hard time piecing everything together. Anyway, let's just say that BigWest has pretty much absolute power over everything with the Macross name on it, to the point of stubbornness, and other companies actually have quite a hard time with that.

Still trying to look into that, but everything is so secretive in Japan (I mean, they're f*ckin' cartoons, not state secrets! This ain't f#$%ing Wikileaks!), that I'm having a hard time piecing everything together. Anyway, let's just say that BigWest has pretty much absolute power over everything with the Macross name on it, to the point of stubbornness, and other companies actually have quite a hard time with that.

tbh I'm glad BW has the balls to control it's IP.