We have a guide for that for more than 10 years: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=228

My bad, thx.

I've read through this thread but am not 100% clear. is SDF available in English dub (I think I saw no), is it available with English subtitles?

Where can I order (hopefully a site in English)? Unless there's a free stream...?

I'm tempted to watch macross sage just because it around and free, but would really rather to watch the orig real deal.

Edit: is this really the price!? I know there's two sets but damm..500$ usd?!

Edited by Demon_seed_22

As of a few months ago there was a free english dub of sdf macross on hulu. You'll have to deal with their commercials every 5 minutes, but yeah, it's free.

Thx. I did see that but i was told it expires in a day. I wish I asked here a few days ago, may have been able to have a few marathrron nights. Still yet to open acct.

When shows on Hulu expire do they ever show again right after or is that it?

I found SDF on Hulu and started watching a few episodes only to realize it "expires" a few hours latter.

I can't find online anywhere in eng sub or dub...?

So I tried to watch the macross saga on Netflix. I re watched the same episode and its just not the same. SDF just sounded better and felt more mature.

Ahhh. Last hope was reaching out to a friend who can hopefully rip from somewhere for me. Fingers crossed.

Ill also try above link when I get off my iPad. Thx, I hope it works.

Edited by Demon_seed_22

• 2 weeks later...

So I watched DYRL and SDF. SDF was great.

What do I watch next? (any ideas where can a free watch would be great too :)

Macross Plus and Macross 7 of course!

By the way I received my SDF Blue Ray limited edition packet yesterday and ohhhh its great.

I am currently enjoying SDF again with all the detail anyone could ever want, the detail looks awesome. 1000 times better than Animeigo overuse of bright colors.

By the way they didnt charge me any tax even though the package worths more than 300 dlls, they usually charge a tax in Mexico when importing using DHL but this time it didnt happen! hahaha Im happy.

Macross Plus and Macross 7 of course!

By the way I received my SDF Blue Ray limited edition packet yesterday and ohhhh its great.

I am currently enjoying SDF again with all the detail anyone could ever want, the detail looks awesome. 1000 times better than Animeigo overuse of bright colors.

By the way they didnt charge me any tax even though the package worths more than 300 dlls, they usually charge a tax in Mexico when importing using DHL but this time it didnt happen! hahaha Im happy.

Glad you're enjoying it! :)

• 3 weeks later...

How do I get the subs to work?

How many minutes of new/extra footage are there on this remastered BD edition?

What are the Macross Special episodes 1 and 2?

thank you!

1) I don't know. I hope someone else can answer.

2) There is an entire disc of extra footage, but not all of it is new. I don't know the running time of the disc, but it's probably at least 2 hours since it includes the TV special with all the interviews, the original broadcast versions of episodes 1, 2 and 11, and the pachinko footage, plus commercials and non-credit openings, etc.  EDIT: I am not sure, but since there are two versions of this box set (standard and collectors' edition), the bonus disc might only be included in the premium edition, the one with the Perfect Memory book, storyboard and all that other stuff. Beware.

3) "Macross Special episodes 1 and 2" refers to the original back-to-back broadcast of the first two episodes. They are edited slightly differently, with a different opening and ending sequence.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Renato

• 3 weeks later...

1. How do I get the subs to work?

I had to use Greenfish subtitle player. Given it only works with .srt files, I had to use Subtitle Edit 3.3 to translate .SSA files into .SRT files. Both are freeware.

So I had one software rendering the video/sound and Greenfish on top of it rendering the subtitles. Yes its a dirty workaround but it worked for me :D

• 1 month later...

Is there actually new content within the SDF Blue-Ray BD tv episodes? Or is it simply same content but in better quality?

I know that there's another thread on the SDF Blu-Ray release but the info seems inconclusive on this matter.

Please advice, thank you!

Is there actually new content within the SDF Blue-Ray BD tv episodes? Or is it simply same content but in better quality?

I know that there's another thread on the SDF Blu-Ray release but the info seems inconclusive on this matter.

Please advice, thank you!

No new content added. I don't know where anyone would get this idea from since its not something that is usually done to any series, unless you were confused by the new pachinko footage included in the extras disc in the limited edition.

No new content added. I don't know where anyone would get this idea from since its not something that is usually done to any series, unless you were confused by the new pachinko footage included in the extras disc in the limited edition.

I thought I already answered his question three posts above, two months ago. Why is he asking it again??

thank you!

the idea is from the Star Wars Special/Extended editions that were released many years later. There was new footage added to enhance the overall experience. I was wondering if they might have done the same. It'll be interesting if they ever do so in future then.

Edited by i12fj

thank you!

the idea is from the Star Wars Special/Extended editions that were released many years later. There was new footage added to enhance the overall experience. I was wondering if they might have done the same. It'll be interesting if they ever do so in future then.

You have to keep in mind one the differences in medium. When it comes to live action film, they create 10, 20, sometimes 100 times as much film than what actually appears in the movie.

Animation (especially hand drawn) - what you see is what was made. There are rarely additional scenes that are completed and cut. It's much more likely to see storyboards, scripts, perhaps some concept art, for the scenes that are cut.

1. How do I get the subs to work?

I had to use Greenfish subtitle player. Given it only works with .srt files, I had to use Subtitle Edit 3.3 to translate .SSA files into .SRT files. Both are freeware.

So I had one software rendering the video/sound and Greenfish on top of it rendering the subtitles. Yes its a dirty workaround but it worked for me :D

In terms of hardware, what is needed to do this? Do these programs have option to overlay subs on top of the video, or do you need another device? I supposed at the minimum one would need a computer with a bluray drive. What else would one need?

That's pretty much it if you intend on watching the movie on your computer (assuming you have a newer computer). I haven't tried it yet but basically, you play the movie with whatever software player you want then you run the second app, Greenfish, in this case, and move the subtitles over top of the video (two separate windows running separate apps). The subtitles, I would assume, play in a small transparent box that you can position over the video player app at the bottom of the video.

I use VLC Player to play most videos but I'm not sure if they have an option to play the disc and then play your own srt files over top (basically, I would not need Greenfish in this case). A lot of downloaded videos have subtitles soft coded into the container file. Others have the video in one file and the srt file in another plain text file (placed in the same folder) so VLC will automatically play both. I'm not sure if VLC has an option for using a disc as one video source and the srt file on your hard drive somewhere...

I have all these Macross blurays I bought from Japan that I'd like to watch some time :)

Edited by xrentonx

Ya if this works I'd be open to buying more Macross in bluray. Otherwise I don't see myself enjoying going through hours of non-subbed SDF or M7. Those are long enough I think I would miss the subs a lot more compared to DYRL.

Unfortunately I have a Mac and it doesnt come with a disc drive. Apple doesn't believe in hard media. I watch all my blurays on my PS3.

If you get it to work please let me know. I use VLC too.

• 3 months later...

That's pretty much it if you intend on watching the movie on your computer (assuming you have a newer computer). I haven't tried it yet but basically, you play the movie with whatever software player you want then you run the second app, Greenfish, in this case, and move the subtitles over top of the video (two separate windows running separate apps). The subtitles, I would assume, play in a small transparent box that you can position over the video player app at the bottom of the video.

I use VLC Player to play most videos but I'm not sure if they have an option to play the disc and then play your own srt files over top (basically, I would not need Greenfish in this case). A lot of downloaded videos have subtitles soft coded into the container file. Others have the video in one file and the srt file in another plain text file (placed in the same folder) so VLC will automatically play both. I'm not sure if VLC has an option for using a disc as one video source and the srt file on your hard drive somewhere...

I have all these Macross blurays I bought from Japan that I'd like to watch some time :)

Good post and good discussion xrentox. :) I too am familiar with VLC and have been using it for a long time. All the foreign movies I have watched that have had separate .srt files have successfully played flawlessly in VLC, and when I eventually watch SDF Macross bluray, if it's on disc it'll be ripped to my PC. So the only question remaining is, will VLC read these .ass files that are contained in this subtitle folder, *without* any need for conversion to srt?

The latest versions of Media Player Classic also allow you to load external subtitles (I've tried it with .srt, .ass and .sub files, and they all worked) while you're playing a DVD or Blu-ray. The only problem is the fact that it still doesn't play Blu-ray menus, so once you load the BD, it just starts playing the first episode or the movie that's in it.

Also, since all episodes in the disc are usually in the same video stream, you have to do some re-timing for each subtitle file. With Aegisub, that's easy to do, but I wish there was an easy way to merge subtitle files. That way, I wouldn't have to load a different subtitle file for each episode.

The latest versions of Media Player Classic also allow you to load external subtitles (I've tried it with .srt, .ass and .sub files, and they all worked) while you're playing a DVD or Blu-ray. The only problem is the fact that it still doesn't play Blu-ray menus, so once you load the BD, it just starts playing the first episode or the movie that's in it.

Also, since all episodes in the disc are usually in the same video stream, you have to do some re-timing for each subtitle file. With Aegisub, that's easy to do, but I wish there was an easy way to merge subtitle files. That way, I wouldn't have to load a different subtitle file for each episode.

If you re-time subtitle files with Aegisub, does that mean you still have to reload them manually after each episode?

If you re-time subtitle files with Aegisub, does that mean you still have to reload them manually after each episode?

Yes, or you can load all subtitle files beforehand and switch among them manually at the beginning of each episode. That's why I wish I could just merge them in one single file that would contain the subtitles for all episodes in the disc.

That's another reason why I like MKVs. I can use them as simple containers to bundle the subtitless I like together with the audio and video of the episodes I rip without re-encoding everything. As long as the timing is right, it isn't a big deal. I'm still getting the hang of timing fixes, myself.

The only other method I am aware of is hardcoding, which is how subtitles are built into VOB files on DVDs,

Edit: Fixing my word jumble form a serious lack of sleep.

Edited by technoblue

• 1 month later...

Damn, I just ran across a 1080p video of an SDF Macross episode from the Blu-Ray set. WOW, this version looks amazing! This series has never looked so damn good. You can even see all the production flaws in the animation becuase the resolution is so high. The color and detail is astounding. It really let's you appreciate the character and mecha art at this level of detail.

I'm going to have to pick this up now. It's just too amazing!

FYI, amazon.co.jp has a nice price on the limited edition set at the moment. When I put this in my cart, the total was around 32000 yen before shipping. I couldn't resist at that price. I have been patiently waiting to upgrade my Animeigo DVDs and will be looking forward to this.

Thank so much for letting us know technoblue! I think I'll order a set as well. I'm just so blown away by the look of the series. I get a kick out of the manner in which the high resolution shows the flaws in the animation and the process as well. You can see cel smudges and transparency reflections. It's astounding. It's like a history lesson in the way animation was done 30 years ago. Such a treat.

It'll be great to go through the series again and I can't think of a better way than on Blu-Ray.