english voiced over macross on crackle.com for free

buddhafabio

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting, from crackle, I can watch it on an android phone, whereas hulu doesn't work without the hulu plus subscription.

edit: found a free app for it too! Looks like I may finally be able to see Macross without the Robotech butchery. ssssscore!!

Edited by rotorhead

It's a bit screwy... I'd done a search for Macross, nada. Searched for Robotech, nada. Superdimensiona..... . you get the point. Anyway, the only way I can find it is to browse genres, anime, and visually see Macross just a bit down the page. http://www.crackle.com/c/Macross is the URL listed across the top, for what it's worth.

ed: well hey! it worked!

Edited by rotorhead

Not working for me!

I clicked on your weblink after registering with crackle.com and

I get an crackle 404 error page that redirects me to the crackle

homepage.

I'm in Canada, so could I be blocked from certain shows

on crackle?

It's a bit screwy... I'd done a search for Macross, nada. Searched for Robotech, nada. Superdimensiona..... . you get the point. Anyway, the only way I can find it is to browse genres, anime, and visually see Macross just a bit down the page. http://www.crackle.com/c/Macross is the URL listed across the top, for what it's worth.

ed: well hey! it worked!

Edited by boinger

up to episode 3, and wow... i'm liking it FAR better than robotech. it's a bit "skippy" on occasion, and their search engine (especially for the app) leaves a lot to be desired. occasionally, it gets rather pixellated as well. it's not perfect, but for free, i suppose it will have to do. oh, and it'll randomly throw a commercial in there, but again, being free and all means they've got to get paid somehow. the link still works for me, but you might also try the 'browse' method i'd described earlier. browse genres, click anime, and visually scan down to Macross just a bit down the page

ed: well this is getting annoying. it's taken 30 minutes to watch 12 minutes of the show, although the commercials seem to play just fine every time.

Edited by rotorhead

4 eps in, and i'm pretty sure none of them played the whole way through without failing into 10 or so minutes of just trying to get the darn thing to play. of curious note: the commercials still play flawlessly. a lot. stuff like this makes me wonder if anyone ever bothers to test things before putting it out there for public scrutiny.

Edited by rotorhead

in hulu, sometimes the episode turns black. does this happen in crackle?

Are you running Ad block plus? I think what's happening is that ABP is preventing an in line ad from playing while hulu is preventing the video from playing until you finish the ad.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I watched it in the English dub recently did anyone else think that a lot of the English voice actors ( ADV)yelled a lot?

My answer is better late then never...

I don't remember the other characters yelling so much, but Misa REALLLLLY overdose it a bit. The voice the VA uses for her is grating as well. It is a pity too, in the DVD extras for the show she had a very nice natural voice - she should have just used that as Misa's voice and not tried to kick it up a notch. (yes Misa does yell a lot, but not THAT much)

Many thanks for the link! The interruptions for the ad spots are a little annoying, but--I guess they've gotta do what they gotta do to keep it free, so...

The VAs for the "original" Macross are a little bit annoying in places. Yes, they seem to be shouting an awful lot. I know I'm gonna catch hell for this, *prepares to dodge flaming pitchforks* but the VAs for the Roblowtech ver of some characters actually seem to "fit" better, for me; Roy's in particular. The Amer ver of Roy comes across as much smoother and more confident, to me.

Ex: the scene in Boobytrap when he offers to let Hikaru take the VF-1D up for a flight, just flows SO much better than the translation for the Macross dub, which sounds almost like Roy's making some kind of pervy proposition. :blink: a case of: lost in translation, I guess. Intonation makes all the difference here, I'd say. The VA for the Macross ver sounds like he's trying to do a damned RuPaul impersonation or something.

Edited by reddsun1

I really, really dislike the ADV Macross dub. And yes, in a word, I would characterize it as "shrill". Not so much a notable yelling, but a lot of high, screechy tones, with Misa being the worst offender. Many of the casting choices for the secondary cast also seemed random/bland/unfitting, helping to add to an unpleasant presentation.

Though perhaps I shouldn't be saying this, because I had such an immediate dislike to the material I have never watched an entire episode of the series. I couldn't even get through "Messenger", my favourite one. You know that's bad. :p

I'll also cop to thinking most of the Robotech cast was pretty good, voice-wise, though an exception must always be made for Minmay's speaking voice as well as her singing.

To be honest, I thought Mari sounded a bit "awkward". Too heavy on the Japanese accent; it sounded a too cartoony.

Although, she probably was the best VA in the whole series. Misa's voice annoyed me so much. I was like there's no way Hikaru is gonna fall in love with her before hitting her with the business end of a Valk. Hikaru, well what can I say? He sounded bit too much like Ed from Full Metal Alchemist.

Still haven't watched any of SDFM in english (unless seeing the first episode of robotech one time counts), but someone did poke the issue of HIkaru's voice for a fairly awesome gag in an abridged series (of Evangelion!). Something about a guy with an identity crisis working for NERV.. couldn't decide if he was American, Japanese, some alchemist guy, or running some kind of hosting club at a prep school. Kept complaining he used to be a pilot himself, and wondered why he was stuck with a desk job. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

OMG, found another easter egg in Macross. Ep 27: Force of Arms, around 18:00, when Lap Lamis is telling Bretai "don't fall behind," there's what looks like a 2nd Nupetiet-Vergnitzs next to his--with a Captain Harlock skull n bones on its bow. First time I'd ever noticed that...