1/60 Yamato VF-4G Web-Exclusive Toy

Graham

VF-4 Poll  

333 members have voted

1. 1. If you lived in Japan would you pre-order a VF-4?

• I would pre-order but I'm not sure I can afford it.
    • Yes I would pre-order, but I would only buy it if it was under $300 (about 24000円).
    • I would pre-order it and buy it at any price.
    • I would pre-order it just to bump the numbers, but won't actually buy it.

But by the internet vibe it feels very popular and in demand?

Makes me wonder of it's production numbers compared to a standard VF-1 v2?

The super-huge Macross fans, of which this page is full of, yeah we're all excited. In the world at large, the likelihood is much smaller others are as excited. We could be wrong. The VF-4 seems to be a favorite of model builders so it's possible a lot of people who want to customize this (which has an easily customizable scheme out of the box) could come out of the woodwork. I doubt it though. They're planning on low-turn out for it.

It's back on sale at HLJ again. What's going on?

Either people cancelling their orders, or HLJ getting a daily bump from Yamato?

The super-huge Macross fans, of which this page is full of, yeah we're all excited. In the world at large, the likelihood is much smaller others are as excited. We could be wrong. The VF-4 seems to be a favorite of model builders so it's possible a lot of people who want to customize this (which has an easily customizable scheme out of the box) could come out of the woodwork. I doubt it though. They're planning on low-turn out for it.

Well, here's hoping it succeeds in sales, if it hasn't already, so future reissues will be more affordable...

I will say this...I have a few friends that were Macross fans growing up, and keep semi up-to-date with Macross and other anime, and they had no idea this was even coming. To add, a couple of them didn't even know where this was shown in the shows.That said, I think this is geared more towards the die-hard fans, not the ones just wanting a couple valks to fulfill some nostalgia. I don't think we're going to see a huge turnout for these. It's also a double edge. If they sell too well at this price, then it tells Yamato that people will pay that much for toys. If not, they don't make them.

Personally i expect the neutral colours and the sharp fighter mode to have proven more appealing to the less hardcore fan than some of the really toyish-looking recent releases like the VF-19, and most of the Macross Frontier. I had read posts from people who normally collect only Transformers or only non-transforming aircrafts etc. say that they would order this.

"Just when I thought I was out . . .they pull me back in."

After about a 3 year hiatus, this sucker has pulled me back in. I pre-ordered with HLJ.com and have been scouring the web for Macross Frontier Renewal valks and eagerly anticipating the CF VF-171 while contemplating the Yamato VF-17S as well as possibly completely a DYRL Skull Squadron finally.

Forgive this old man and his ramblings, but that warm fuzzy feeling or excitement and anticipation for a new toy is back and kicking!

Personally i expect the neutral colours and the sharp fighter mode to have proven more appealing to the less hardcore fan than some of the really toyish-looking recent releases like the VF-19, and most of the Macross Frontier. I had read posts from people who normally collect only Transformers or only non-transforming aircrafts etc. say that they would order this.

Really? Non-Macross fans who have been exposed to the VF-4 are interested you say? They're still fans of transforming vehicles like Transformers though. I wonder if purely aviation types might also be interested... though they're not the type to want to spend $300+ on something that transforms when they're only interested in fighter. We've even got Macross fans here who have made that same argument.

People spend that much or more on non-transforming models too, so I could see it being possible that the VF-4 might have enough appeal to attract the "purely aviation types."

One of the things I like about Macross is that the designs of the fighter modes are such that for the most part, barring outlandish paint schemes, they could pass as real world fighters given that the inspiration for their designs tend to come from actual aircraft. So perhaps that particular quality could draw in others who are not normally into the transforming robots thing.

That's the scuttlebutt on the retail circuit here, Omega. The muttering is that Yamato would not lavish so much money, on such an iconic fighter and then give it a colour scheme like that. Perhaps it is just the whittering of aggrieved retailers who are not able to offer the VF-4, but the belief, as presented in the last issue of retail Mokei News is that we will get a general version in 2013, with the Hikaru's DYL Skull 1 colour scheme - and I'll be all over that like a bad suit.

Still, I've always been partial to VFX as well, so I'm happy I was able to secure a pre-order on this.

Edited by nautilus

How much is HLJ's EMS rate?

last time I shipped something from HLJ (mind you I'm in AZ, so it's a shorter trip)

For the Option parts VF-1S, it cost me 27$ for FedEx express.

Fedex has been cheaper for me, ebcause I have a business address, but EMS is usually within 5-10$ of FedEx.

Only with a ton of multiple items has my shipping ever been close to even 50$ for Express.

Where as Nippon for a single 1/60 EMS was 45$.

hope that helps.

I hope that the VF-4 gets pushed back slightly, there's just too much crap I want coming out!

Same, FedEx generally takes between 3-5 days. For me though, it's not so much the speed/cost as it is the fact that FedEx has the decency to stay open slightly past 5pm for all the folks in town that work, and will actually hold the package for me when I ask them to, so I can pick it up the day it arrives.

I've lost count of how many times I've had to wait til the next day (or even week) because the post office doesn't seem to understand that I work during the day. Not to mention, they never bother to actually deliver anything even when I am there, because no one wants to bother walking to my apartment when it's so much easier to stick the note in my box to tell me to pick it up the next day. <_<

I wonky part is that my FedEx shipments go to Anchorage AK first, not exactly on the way to the SW U.S :lol: , but Whatever works for them It always gets here in 3 days.

Think that has something to do with the way the shortest distance between two points isn't obvious on a map. Planes fly "great circle" routes, which appear as long arcs on projection maps.

The distance from Narita (New Tokyo International Airport) to Anchorage? It's only a little over 3400 miles. :)

Still doesn't explain why my VE-1 went from Anchorage to Memphis before heading to California.. but it all depends on the way FedEx's distribution routes work.

Think that has something to do with the way the shortest distance between two points isn't obvious on a map. Planes fly "great circle" routes, which appear as long arcs on projection maps.

The distance from Narita (New Tokyo International Airport) to Anchorage? It's only a little over 3400 miles. :)

Still doesn't explain why my VE-1 went from Anchorage to Memphis before heading to California.. but it all depends on the way FedEx's distribution routes work.

Yup, it's how the Fedex's distribution routes work. I've been receiving express packages and envelopes from Fedex going that route from Asia. The first entry is always Anchorage before heading to Memphis and so on.