1/60 Yamato VF-4G Web-Exclusive Toy

Graham

VF-4 Poll  

333 members have voted

1. 1. If you lived in Japan would you pre-order a VF-4?

• I would pre-order but I'm not sure I can afford it.
    • Yes I would pre-order, but I would only buy it if it was under $300 (about 24000円).
    • I would pre-order it and buy it at any price.
    • I would pre-order it just to bump the numbers, but won't actually buy it.

Well I too broke down and ordered on HLJ. Ouch this is probably my most expensive Macross pruchase yet. It's right up there with the SDF-1..........sigh............. ^_^

My highest purchase was in the $800 range, so not there yet. As for the question of whether this is a successful line or not, I have to say that I think it's still too early to even guess. If they're just going off of clicks to buy, it's hard to say. Doing this open order deal is tricky, and any of us here won't know the answers, unless we work for Yamato in that dept., or know someone. Still, there's no money taken at this time, so who knows. A lot changes between wanting something in August, and time to pay in December. For most of us, if not all of us, the amount of success will show itself after the release. Can someone say, Unassembled Kits????

I do wonder how well an unpainted kit version of this would do. People seem to really like to customize the airframe on this one however they're not usually fond of the other two modes. As great as it looks in fighter would the extra cost for a transformable version that still has to make concessions for the other two modes be worth it to someone who can get a model kit for cheaper of the fighter mode that doesn't have to worry about other modes?

I keep hoping they'll eventually release unpainted versions of all their valks, especially if they offer a couple different mold color choices to start with.

But, the more complicated their engineering gets, the less likely that seems now. Looking at the way the VF-19 is constructed, I'm not entirely sure that you could assemble one by hand, at least not without some kind of specially designed jig to hold parts in place. Those spring pins they've grown fond of are a pain.

Not saying it's not impossible.. it just seems like a far cry from the easy screw-and-glue assembly of the VF-1.

Damn, this waiting is killing me.

The release schedule is for early December or late? May not be a significant difference but i noticed that shipping on the last part of December takes a hell of time to arrive even if they are shipped via EMS.

So has anybody bothered to translate what they're saying there? It's interesting, they comment that the wings are warped in the photo. Anybody who notices the curve upward they say that won't be the case on the final model.

Also, it sounds like there will be a small cover in the intake to hide the portion of the hand that shows when in fighter mode.

The area for storing the hands is too small so they have fixed posed hands for transformation but they will have "moveable" hands available for switch out. Maybe that means we can arm our VF-4's with a GU-11 in Gerwalk/Battroid.

They warn that on the final version they will have to paint on the red stripe on the thighs and you should be careful not to scratch it (at least they're open/honest.)

Apparently they comment on the fact that the lower legs are a little long in Battroid but it can't be helped because they have to be a certain length to look right in fighter.

Somebody also commented that Battroid is incredibly balanced/stable. We'll see about that.

That's what I've been able to make out so far anyway.

I found ways to save money for this expensive VF-4G.

- Use coupons for food and grocery

- Hypermile while driving to save fuel

- Ate less costly foods

- Set air conditioning system to use less energy

- Postponed phone upgrade

- Reduced magazine subscriptions to one only

- Borrow stuff from parents instead of buying them

- Cancelled useless memberships

I think all these savings got me nowhere but made life more miserable. Haha....

basing on the new pictures, i feel the mechanism and the amount of engineering work has been given quite a bit of attention.

If you look closer at the clotch area where the legs joint are, you will notice.

Also there is an substantial amount of metal content that should make the whole valkyrie stable.

as the transformation involves quite abit of complex thinking, i feel the valkyrie is a piece of engineering art piece.

I agree the price tag is substantial and HLJ will probably be offering it at a discount.

it is something which hardcore fans will purchase.

Man there's times I think about passing on this one but that inner voice (DAMN YOU INNER VOICE!!!) keeps reminding me I will regret that decision!!! Just paid for the VF-25G....MP Soundwave coming....MP Sideswipe....THIS?!?....plus the rest of life responsibilities!! >.<

Ron5864, I will study your list of how to help afford this bad bird :)

Does anyone know if the markings on the toy in the pics are Tampo printed, or just stickers that need applying?

On another point, I love how this toy looks in fighter mode. The head completely blends in with the main fuselage. And the design lines are gorgeous and free of gaps.

Edited by funkymonkeyjavajunky

Does anyone know if the markings on the toy in the pics are Tampo printed, or just stickers that need applying?

On another point, I love how this toy looks in fighter mode. The head completely blends in with the main fuselage. And the design lines are gorgeous and free of gaps.

The toy on the pics is a painted prototype with stickers, not aproduction sample yet. The final colors will slightly differ.

can't totally comment on the newer Macross stuff, but usually intake symbols and the UN Spacy kite will be tampo. Stuff like "No Step" and smaller details will need sticker application. Shouldn't be horrible though.

But who knows, might not be much of squat to put on there.

Clearly Yamato put a lot of effort into this but it can all go to hell by just 1 QC issue.

Shame they couldn't get the FB2012 license. I'd really like more info on this, is the license locked by someone else? or how could a 15min music video license be that expensive?? or maybe, since they already had the VF-X license, they deem it not neccesary to get an extra license for just the VF-4.

Edited by Valkyrie addict

They'd have a bit more space/room/hinges for the thighs if they got rid of the delimiter mode gimmick. (which only serves to make it harder to transform and cracks the thigh pieces)

Wait..what?? Are you talking about the VF-22 or the VF-4? Confused on how the 21/22 came into the conversation.

Chris