1/60 Yamato VF-4G Web-Exclusive Toy

Graham

VF-4 Poll  

333 members have voted

1. 1. If you lived in Japan would you pre-order a VF-4?

• I would pre-order but I'm not sure I can afford it.
    • Yes I would pre-order, but I would only buy it if it was under $300 (about 24000円).
    • I would pre-order it and buy it at any price.
    • I would pre-order it just to bump the numbers, but won't actually buy it.

OK, so if no payment is being requested up front.......and the window for "pre-ordering" closes for everyone on October 15th.....Yamato is really going to produce these with no "cash in hand"? .....just hope they don't have a production number in mind and end up not being able to fulfill orders...in other words, limiting sales to any one individual which at this point seems several from NY..... ;) ........I do hope other venues for getting this valk start popping up.......

Pulled the trigger with NY as well. Just be aware that NY will cancel all your existing preorders with them if you don't pay by the specified date they send in the email they send you when they request the payment. For example, let's say you preordered the VF-25G and VF-4 on deferred payment. They then send you the invoice for the VF-25G in September and you fail to pay, both preorders get cancelled.

yeah, you'd never know. The previous web exclusive Angel birds and VF-X ended up everywhere on ebay and most major online stores in Japan.

That was a magazine exclusive....and yes, they ended up everywhere.......which is odd why Yamato has taken the steps of "early bird" offerings and now this open pre-ordering...all while not taking one dime up front....I would think they would want to avoid the same over-production issues of those two valks ........unless, of course, they get to sell the excess valks for the same price they would any normal release...or they know they are not producing that many? :unsure:

I got one on preorder already from a friend in Japan, now waiting on HLJ or amiami for a second one.

Edit: To add, I hope that if they do decide to put it on the regular market, or make additional runs, that the mass release is different, even if slightly, from this version.

Edited by Jasonc

I think I'll wait a little longer and see if HLJ comes up with a pre-order for this thing. I read in the 171 thread how one person got shipped one with a chest gun missing and N-Y asked to have it shipped back at his expense. With this being a first run, limited edition item with a high price tag, I'd rather not have to worry about parts missing or something broken with these things.

Bit the bullet and ordered this too. I knew it would be expensive.. I'm glad I already had that expectation for months leading up to this so I was finally able to go through with it. Nippon Yasan is pretty reliable by the way. They haven't failed me yet for any of my valks or add on parts.

Edited by mass driver

I got one on preorder already from a friend in Japan, now waiting on HLJ or amiami for a second one.

Edit: To add, I hope that if they do decide to put it on the regular market, or make additional runs, that the mass release is different, even if slightly, from this version.

Same here...I know I am guaranteed the one I bought on early bird.....I can wait and see what becomes available once it is actually released.....

If the VF-X and Angelbird are any indication.......I doubt a mass release will be any different......but sure would be nice

Man, this is really getting to my tipping point. I had it in my NY cart - and was about to purchase, and I saw $400 and I'm like "man, this is stupid". I dunno...I think it might be time to get out of the valk collecting business. It was ridiculous when it was $150-$250, but I could still justify it. Let's put this in perspective - for a $100 more, I just bought a 3D printer. I realize everyone has different tipping points, I'll probably still get one...maybe...but damn...at that price, I really have to think about it.

Me too. I just didn't have the gut to click Order after seeing the $400+ total. How did this hobby get so damn expensive? I thought $250 was my cap.

It's a crazy world. Everyone has their tipping point. But to put it into perspective, some people have no qualms dropping thousands on vintage gokin, baseball cards, or components for their mountain bikes. It just depends on what you want to do with your money. As for the VF-4, it took lots of RD to make it for Yamato, it is a niche product, it is supposedly limited and is a web exclusive. I can definitely see why it is 340 from a company standpoint. Hell if Bandai can charge 350 for a super niche product like the machine Itasher, Yamato's price point doesn't seem so bad. Yes, I'm what you call an "enabler" :D

It's a crazy world. Everyone has their tipping point. But to put it into perspective, some people have no qualms dropping thousands on vintage gokin, baseball cards, or components for their mountain bikes. It just depends on what you want to do with your money. As for the VF-4, it took lots of RD to make it for Yamato, it is a niche product, it is supposedly limited and is a web exclusive. I can definitely see why it is 340 from a company standpoint. Hell if Bandai can charge 350 for a super niche product like the machine Itasher, Yamato's price point doesn't seem so bad. Yes, I'm what you call an "enabler" :D

15 years ago people were paying $300~$400 for used Takatoku Chunky Monkey in crappy boxes, the Super VF-1S fetched up to $1,500. The last 5 years has been good with Yamato's releases.

Hmm, so $400 a piece it is.. maybe slightly less with shipping combined for more than one, but probably not.

I'm still tempted to buy two.. actually, I'll be honest here. I'm tempted to buy three, wait a few years, and sell one for enough to pay for the other two. :lol: Not like I would be able to convince myself to do it once I have them, but I think this will likely wind up being in the same realm as the VE-1/M&M VF-1Js in a while, unless Yamato opens up mass production.

Going to have to think a bit about this one, $400 is crossing the line from "hobby purchase" to "monthly rent/car payment." :lol: And I still want two, on top of it. The painful part is, regardless of what reason I come up to justify spending $800.. I still will be spending $800. The last thing I spent that money on at once was a computer.

Ok I made my order for 1 at NY I did not order 2 cause as I was about to complete that order my wife appeared from behind me and had a premonition of my death if I continued it was amazing how much detail she had of my death like she was there when it happened so it was scary!!. So only one for me

You guys are nuts, lol.

The price is ridiculous. For that price, for me - the valk would have to be PERFECT. To me, it isn't... That head sculpt leaves a lot to he desired - Dat recessed chin and lack of any visual interest kills it for me. Not to mention what looks like a solid chunk up top for the chest + pauldrons, which seem to lack any shoulder articulation. The feet are also lack luster in battroid... They don't look related to other valkyries... Lack valk DNA. The knee spikes also ruin it for me as again, I feel the design is an after thought.

Gerwalk looks terrible, I'm a massive fan of gerwalk - I think this is due to the feet design and awkward placement of limbs.

Fighter mode looks amazing tho. But $400 for a plane only is crazy. I really think the scratchbuilt VF-4 batrroid (don't know who made it) looks far better - both in proportions, design and general bad assness.

Oh noes my opinion is against the grain! PPB system, ENGAGE!

Oh come on Kurisama... It IS nuts. I can't disagree... But is it as nuts as buying a toy and then building a ton of parts for it to convert it to exactly what you want? At this point, is there anyone of us left on MW that looks sane to any outsider looking in? LOL! We're all just crazy for this stuff.

BTW, I think it looks great plus I never display in Gerwalk. It's nice to see in animation but I either want to see a robot or a jet on my display.

But is it as nuts as buying a toy and then building a ton of parts for it to convert it to exactly what you want?

Sure....but I am glad there are nuts out there doing it because I can't!!!.......with that said....please hurry on the 2 parts everyone will surely go nuts over!... :lol:

Edited by jvmacross

Oh come on Kurisama... It IS nuts. I can't disagree... But is it as nuts as buying a toy and then building a ton of parts for it to convert it to exactly what you want? At this point, is there anyone of us left on MW that looks sane to any outsider looking in? LOL! We're all just crazy for this stuff.

BTW, I think it looks great plus I never display in Gerwalk. It's nice to see in animation but I either want to see a robot or a jet on my display.

Fair enough, haha. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to have one or two (to make a custom head and paint scheme, lol) but that price point is just loco. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

Yeah, most ppl are left perplexed once they hear about or see my Macross collection... And I mention how much I've spent... LOL!

You guys are nuts, lol.

The price is ridiculous. For that price, for me - the valk would have to be PERFECT. To me, it isn't... That head sculpt leaves a lot to he desired - Dat recessed chin and lack of any visual interest kills it for me. Not to mention what looks like a solid chunk up top for the chest + pauldrons, which seem to lack any shoulder articulation. The feet are also lack luster in battroid... They don't look related to other valkyries... Lack valk DNA. The knee spikes also ruin it for me as again, I feel the design is an after thought.

Gerwalk looks terrible, I'm a massive fan of gerwalk - I think this is due to the feet design and awkward placement of limbs.

Fighter mode looks amazing tho. But $400 for a plane only is crazy. I really think the scratchbuilt VF-4 batrroid (don't know who made it) looks far better - both in proportions, design and general bad assness.

Oh noes my opinion is against the grain! PPB system, ENGAGE!

It's not Double Nuts, but at this price more like triple nuts. ^_^

I'd really love to get one, but am going to have to wait for a better price before I can bite. $400 is a lot of dough for a toy that (admittedly) looks great, but not "OMG I have to have it!"

Edited by funkymonkeyjavajunky

It's all relative. Some of the kids around the office spend $400 on the weekend bar hoping and going out for fancy dinners! or some of the old timers easily spend that on a game of golf for the day if you work out their greens fees, membership fees and clubs and divide it by the games they play. I don't drink or play golf or go see a hockey game - at least that's how I'm justifying it! ;-)

It's only 4 pairs of shoes for my daughter... she can squeeze into her runners for another year ;)

Edited by wm cheng

Also, what helps me.. I look at it in terms of how much I could be paying for cable or satellite tv. ^_^

Since I started relying on the internet for my entertainment (intertainment if you will), I find it a lot easier to justify over-the-top purchases for other things in general.

Of course, you might also have to weigh these sorts of things against having very little social life to speak of, and whether the money might be better spent on something that might conceivably somehow contribute to the pursuit of the opposite gender. :lol:

And no, I don't mean flying to Japan to search for that rare female Macross fan who would share your enthusiasm for all things valkyrie related. :p

So I'm changing my vote to I'll pay anything. :) I just pre ordered mine, and I hope everything goes smooth with the retailer.

Here is the link for anyone interested, I haven't seen it posted.

http://www.nippon-yasan.com/lang-en/macross/3606-choujikuu-yousai-macross-vf-4g-lightning-iii-limited-edition.html