1/60 Yamato VF-4G Web-Exclusive Toy

Graham

VF-4 Poll  

333 members have voted

1. 1. If you lived in Japan would you pre-order a VF-4?

• I would pre-order but I'm not sure I can afford it.
    • Yes I would pre-order, but I would only buy it if it was under $300 (about 24000円).
    • I would pre-order it and buy it at any price.
    • I would pre-order it just to bump the numbers, but won't actually buy it.

And a work of art. That's how I look at it.

That's how I look at it too. My preceptor in school spent $10k on a rug to hang on his wall. To me that was crazy but to him it was well worth it. It you want something and buying it doesn't break the bank, go for it!

If you want something and buying it doesn't break the bank, go for it!

Dad tells me the same since I was a kid. If you got spare money, get it. So, I have being saving for this one.

Edited by Froy

I can't comment on others' trepidation regarding the steep price of the VF-4, but for me it's not an affordability issue (I could buy multiples If I were so inclined), it's a principles thing: $400+ for a chunk of plastic and diecast is a lot of mullah, no matter how amazing the toy turns out to be, or how limited in numbers. Up until this preorder, $230 with shipping (no chump change) was my upper, self-imposed, limit on any toy, and the reason I refuse to buy a 1/3000 SDF-1, VF-19S/F/P, or VF-17S/D. So I'm still trying to decide why I thought it okay to commit, however tentatively, to an item that blows my cut-off point by nearly double its amount... :wacko:

^this +1

I too am in the "principles" boat, especially as a college student. $400 dollars is a LOT of cash to pony up for a piece of plastic that will ultimately just sit on the shelf in my dorm, accomplishing very little save for the time to time transformation.

My upper limit was around $300, but now, deeper into college, I find myself always weighing the options. $400 dollars means some books for classes, money to save for tuition, even productive tech like a tablet or computer programs, even laundry money.

To further the perspective, when you're paying $24,000 per semester for college, high end toys really do take a back burner.

It's a really cool toy mind you, but I think I can understand what a lot of people are going through, be it college or other expenses.

But then again, this is macrossworld, so who am I kidding? :D

Sounds about right if you're going to a good private college. I don't envy you though cause that is a good chunk o' change :)

Edited by xrentonx

I too am in the "principles" boat, especially as a college student. $400 dollars is a LOT of cash to pony up for a piece of plastic that will ultimately just sit on the shelf in my dorm, accomplishing very little save for the time to time transformation.

The principles boat is a shitty boat to be on, it's full of regret and spending even more money down the road. not to mention f*cking rats. The thing about it is, I'm in the same situation of having to pay for school and what not; that's not a case of principles, that's a case of financial responsibility. If it comes down to, 'I can either buy this $400 toy I want or make a car payment/pay for school/whatever other obligations I must pay' then pass on the damn toy.

But If you're able to meet all of your regular financial obligations + have reasonable savings for emergencies and you're still able to say 'I could easily afford multiples of if I wanted them, but I'm not paying more than $200 out of principle,' you're setting yourself up for lifelong regret.

The principles boat is a shitty boat to be on, it's full of regret and spending even more money down the road. not to mention f*cking rats. The thing about it is, I'm in the same situation of having to pay for school and what not; that's not a case of principles, that's a case of financial responsibility. If it comes down to, 'I can either buy this $400 toy I want or make a car payment/pay for school/whatever other obligations I must pay' then pass on the damn toy.

But If you're able to meet all of your regular financial obligations + have reasonable savings for emergencies and you're still able to say 'I could easily afford multiples of if I wanted them, but I'm not paying more than $200 out of principle,' you're setting yourself up for lifelong regret.

+1 I agree with this here..... If I passed this up and were not able to get one based on extreme pricing or no availability I would regret that decision hard.

Edited by Loop

Haha, 24k a semester is nothing. I'm on scholarship right now. The full price of Vanderbilt including board is around 67k a year not including transportation and computer fees.

But yeah, you can see why toys have lost some weightage in my life...

But yeah, if you have enough cash to freely spend, I'd go for it too...

Many of us have differing priorities. For some, principle comes ahead of desire.

In my case, there's too many other things I'd rather get for that amount of money. I have a lot of hobbies and Macross toys aren't always at the top of the list. ^_^;

Edited by Vifam7

For some, the regret comes after spending a lot of cash on something that in hindsight is not worth the amount spent and will just end up taking shelf space 99% of the time or be buried in storage anyway. I'm not saying this will be the case with the VF-4G, but that could very well be how it turns out, specially if you happen to be one of the unlucky few who gets a lemon with little to no recourse to achieve a satisfactory resolution. Also, if one does adhere to one's principles regarding price, there is no way, other than coming into a lot of money, that one would spend even more money down the road; having principles means having discipline, so that if $400 is to much today, then $700+ later is even more out of the question... that desire for a thing (and the thing's priority is entirely dependent on its real importance, and a toy just does not rate very high on an importance scale) becomes a passing infatuation that wasn't meant to be, and instead of regret, one gets a sense of pride in oneself for having resisted a temptation to engage in mindless consumption.

In this regard, I'm reminded of a line from Spock in the original Star Trek episode Amok Time: "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical; but it is often true."

Edited by mechaninac

For some, the regret comes after spending a lot of cash on something that in hindsight is not worth the amount spent and will just end up taking shelf space 99% of the time or be buried in storage anyway. I'm not saying this will be the case with the VF-4G, but that could very well be how it turns out, specially if you happen to be one of the unlucky few who gets a lemon with little to no recourse to achieve a satisfactory resolution. Also, if one does adhere to one's principles regarding price, there is no way, other than coming into a lot of money, that one would spend even more money down the road; having principles means having discipline, so that if $400 is to much today, then $700+ later is even more out of the question... that desire for a thing (and the thing's priority is entirely dependent on its real importance, and a toy just does not rate very high on an importance scale) becomes a passing infatuation that wasn't meant to be, and instead of regret, one gets a sense of pride in oneself for having resisted a temptation to engage in mindless consumption.

In this regard, I'm reminded of a line from Spock in the original Star Trek episode Amok Time: "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical; but it is often true."

Yeah but, Spock never really had any fun though either..... :D

I was looking back at the photos again and those thighs on ball joints are pretty much going to have to be completely rotated around between fighter and the other modes. I hope they don't become loose too easily. They're pretty much what's propping up all of that giant upper body.

There's actually a few spots I'm concerned about loosening. In addition to where the hips attach to the... well, crotch I guess, there's also the bottom part of the thigh that attaches to the lower half of the leg and has to flip up/down between Fighter and Gerwalk/Battroid. That piece is painted diecast from the looks of it. I'm wondering if it's somehow ratcheted or if it's just friction. Those two pieces keep the ENTIRE bulky upper body stable and are very important. I'm also wondering how the legs will turn in and outward. Will that flip-up piece also be able to swivel or will all motion be handled at the hip joints?

Yeah this is part of the doubts I am having. Every valk I have bought had a review attached to it before I bought it. I hope review pieces get out pre-launch, but it being a web exclusive... well. If there was a SET or CollectionDX review it would ease my trepidation a bit. Dumping $400 on a toy that looks like its one of the more complicated ones made, meaning more points of failure, before anyone critiques it is just a bit of a bitter pill to swallow. I imagine my roommate from years ago who bought the original yf-19 from yamato for $200+ is feeling this wherever he is. I imagine most people who bought the vf-25 version 1 toys are not exactly happy anymore.

So here's a question, which valks have you all bought that were just released and had no reviews associated with them? How did that turn out?

To be honest the actual transformation/mechanism is pretty simple/straightforward if you really look at it. The problem is that,by the anime design, it's propped up at two very small spots. I'm just curious how they'll hold up. Dunno how many wil even bother with modes other than Fighter for this one so it might only be me and one other guy who are ever bothered by this.

Yeah...I'm confused myself. I'm hoping they just made a mistake, and meant to send the invoice for the YF-29 30th Anniversary I have on Pre-order with them...

Email them to verify this. I have a preorder with them for the VF-4G as well but haven't received any invoice yet. The soonest one shipping out is the VF-25G but I haven't been invoiced for that one yet either.

Did anyone else receive an invoice from Nippon-Yasan??? I thought this thing wasn't coming out until December...

Have an open order for one but no invoice mail yet. No other open orders whit NY though.