1/60 Yamato VF-4G Web-Exclusive Toy

Graham

VF-4 Poll  

333 members have voted

1. 1. If you lived in Japan would you pre-order a VF-4?

• I would pre-order but I'm not sure I can afford it.
    • Yes I would pre-order, but I would only buy it if it was under $300 (about 24000円).
    • I would pre-order it and buy it at any price.
    • I would pre-order it just to bump the numbers, but won't actually buy it.

Can you tone down the OCD in your posts

Nope. My alternate title is "nitpicky mod". In short---the more I want something, the more I want it done right. It's a lot easier to fix things BEFORE it's finalized. Pointing things out now helps increase Yamato's awareness of either real or potential issues--either via Graham or lurkers who have contacts, etc. Rather than waiting for an almost-finished sculpt.

1 CAD image = nearly 2 pages of, dare I say, heated debate and personal attacks over small hinges and small divergences from the line art. I can't wait to see what happens when the resin prototype pics go out :lol:

Just sit back, wait, and see the fury unleashed!!!

When I was a kid, I rented a bootleg copy of Flashback from a local comic book store. Like everyone I was stoked to see the next incarnation of the valk. We were all instant fans of the new design. The strange thing was, none of us were aware that it transformed. I don't even recall a debate about it. I think we just accepted the fighter concept for what it was (what we thought it was). Of courae, this was back in the late eithies when imports were rare (both video and art books).

It wasn't until the last ten years or so that I realized it transformed! Guess I've been living in a cave...

That being said, although I really dig the fighter design, I'm not too crazy about the other modes. This is one valk I'll have to live vicariously through the lucky members who will score this creation. Hopefully, a good fighter mode model will come along soon to satify the minority!

As usual, one person mentions a valid nitpick, and 10 people make a huge deal of it. You guys are bitching way more than anyone nitpicking the CAD drawings have.

what if

we just waited for the first production pics and a review

Yamato themselves might even do a video like they did with the VF-17

That would be pretty stupid. The toy only exists in CAD form; it's not too late for Graham to mention all of our concerns to Yamato. Fan input from this website actually makes it to Yamato's ears.

Edited by danth

As usually, one person mentions a valid nitpick, and 10 people make a huge deal of it. You guys are bitching way more than anyone nitpicking the CAD drawings have.

That would be pretty stupid. The toy only exists in CAD form; it's not too late for Graham to mention all of our concerns to Yamato. Fan input from this website actually makes it to Yamato's ears.

This. Why the frak would anyone want to wait to bring up concerns over the design until it's too late to do anything about them?

-Kyp

^Well said (I agree actually), but I've hearding that groaning and moaning by the infamous MW has actually helped change some inaccuracies in the past in previous molds (The Vf-11b is the one that sticks out in my mind I think?)

So let them be heard!

I was thinking of the YF-19's upper intake markings, myself, as while not a mold change, was something that Yamato completely missed until we pointed it out and provided screen caps showing them---and Yamato did put them on the final release. (even the pics used for the box art etc lacks them---we just BARELY got word to them in time, even though I commented on them like the first day we got pics of the intended coloration)

I also believe the black on the chest of Nora's Sv-51 was another thing "they missed, but people on MW cried out" and got it changed. ::edit:: Yup, right above the heat shield, it's still magenta on Yamato's sample/box pics. But black on the final release.

I don't believe anything came from people here.

You might not but plenty of others do. The people saying we're criticizing the CAD are wrong. We're noting differences/inaccuracies. Things we like that Yamato may have missed. We know Graham has contacts and he's asked us for input and spoken directly with the company before. There's evidence things found in the past have been caught and changed. None of us are saying "those wings are off, Yamato sucks, they should all die." We only noticed and noted a few things that don't mesh with the lineart and have brought them up.

I oppose line art tyranny.

I agree with this, but even still. There's plenty of deviations from the lineart in the other toys that doesn't particularly bother me. If it doesn't affect transformation, and I'm not entirely sure those canards might not with the way they have to fold down and fit beneath the fuelselage when tucked under in Battroid, why not make it as close as possible?

I don't blame folks for getting pretty heated about this... I mean it is the release of a Valk that we thought we'd never see coming from Yamato and people just want them to release the best possible version of it they can.

If it doesn't affect transformation, and I'm not entirely sure those canards might not with the way they have to fold down and fit beneath the fuelselage when tucked under in Battroid, why not make it as close as possible?

Well I'm not saying it won't be as close as possible. Given how so far it has only existed in its entirety as a physical object twice, we can only compare it to those iterations.

Unless you want me to take more screencaps of the game models.

Those CAD designs look like the original designs. For all we know, it's already fixed, and we're screaming for nothing. Most of the time, we're surprised at how well the final production samples look. I've made my points with my opinion, as did just about everyone else. If Yamato wants to change it, they will. I wouldn't hit the panic button at this time, and mentioning your worries more than once doesn't count as two people's opinions. All we can do at this point is chill, and be civil (not panicking) about the evolutionary process of this toy from start to finish.

I don't believe anything came from people here.

I don't blame you for that; I wouldn't believe it either if I hadn't read about tips Graham has given to his contacts at Yamato that actually changed the final product. Surprising as it is, it has happened.

And really, nobody is panicking, guys. I think there's more panicking about panicking than actual panicking. :)

I really would just wait.. with yamato and bandai releasing v2, v3 versions its bound to be corrected or close. I've chosen the path to wait now and see if its to my liking then yes I will get multiples..flaw or no flaw.. your money, you decide.. complaints are fine here and there, but to push people into believing that this item is flawed etc and not waiting until the actual pre production model is out is insane. Sometimes some people just have the panic button too close to their keyboard. ----sigh----

Our enthusiasm and pockets is what drive yamato and bandai.. or atleast i believe it does.. to complain, complain, and complain.. I don't know.. I'm just glad they produce quality enough toys. Remember these are toys and not your momma's heirloom.

The VF-4 is one of my favorite designs. I am excited to see this as a toy, but remain skeptical.

The transformation process appears to use a lot of anime magic. It will be interesting to see the engineering on this.

I am also concerned about price and the quality. I hope it will have good QC. Valks are expensive enough, not to mention it's web exclusive. The price tag is going to be scary.

Edited by ae_productions

Well, to see people bickering and arguing, I'd say that's a form of being a liitle too tense/worried about a CAD design. Overall, I don't think there's a big sense of stir over the concerns, just hope it stays as such.

既に一部のファンの方にはご存じの通り、マクロス30周年、そしてメガロード出港のこの年に、いよいよ待望の「VF-4」を発売決定!

今回は監修中ラフ図案の最新版を会場にて公開予定です!

Google translate: To some fans as you know, in this year of departure Megarodo, will be released the "VF-4" long-awaited and finally, the 30th anniversary of Macross already!

Will be available at the venue this time is the latest version of the rough design of supervision!

Wow, I haven't bought any since the 1/72s, but this....this is definitely a must-buy. Initially, I didn't like it or the YF-21 (preferring the YF-19), but both have grown on me so much, that the VF-4 & YF-21 are my favorites. Huh, it's interesting that the VF-4 seems to have the most complex transformation scheme since the YF-19 & YF-21 are designed far afterwords (in canon, at least). This design is really one-of-a-kind - I guess for a good reason, hah hah.

Hmm, since I haven't perused the past discussions, I wonder if it took any cues from the Queadluun-Rau like the YF-21. The VF-4 & YF-21 seem to be the only two mainstream designs that are 'top-heavy', as the VA-3M Invader & Feios Valkyrie are even more obscure. I guess there might be a few others, but they don't have the boxer-look quite down. Eh, I guess this question falls apart since the fighter mode stands pretty much alone & other than the P-38 Lightning, I think only the SR-71 shares the design.

For December, 2012, that's enough time to scrutinize the design at all stages. I'm pretty sure Yamato will listen, especially knowing Graham gives them our concerns and questions. That's also a good amount of time to save save save.