1/60 Yamato VF-4G Web-Exclusive Toy

Graham

VF-4 Poll  

333 members have voted

1. 1. If you lived in Japan would you pre-order a VF-4?

• I would pre-order but I'm not sure I can afford it.
    • Yes I would pre-order, but I would only buy it if it was under $300 (about 24000円).
    • I would pre-order it and buy it at any price.
    • I would pre-order it just to bump the numbers, but won't actually buy it.

Did anyone has found a solution to use the articulated hands in battroid that can be folded into the fighter mode?

It's super easy.

Open them up all the way and put the thumbs on the side. Fists are hard to fit but fully open hands area breeze

Based on those photos there I'd say the VF-14 far more greatly resembles a Gobot then the VF-4.

post-1819-0-82871400-1383054254_thumb.jpg

THEN VF-14 IS GONNA GET ALL THE CHICKS LIKE A GOBOT

Edit: Actually I do have somewhat of a point to all this as people in robot fandom often act uncouth and call anything they do not like a Gobot as if it was an insult. However, I wish to demonstrate how easy it is to look upon once reviled products in a more positive light when you can see how a series like Machine Robo: Revenge of Cronos takes the same toys used in Gobots and depicts them with a much more professional style and amazing art direction. Thus the media tie in breaks the previous stigma taken from the Hanna Barbera cartoon and reveals that yeah, Gobots were cool toys and they just needed a cool series to show them being awesome. Similarly, I think most people who are really into the VF-4 are more familiar with its depicting in various video games where it is allowed to show its stuff in all three modes rather than the barely 10 seconds of fighter mode it got in Flashback. Nothing helps a giant robot like the ability to see it in motion being awesome.

The more you know.

Edited by VF5SS

attachicon.gifjetandruri.jpg

THEN VF-14 IS GONNA GET ALL THE CHICKS LIKE A GOBOT

Edit: Actually I do have somewhat of a point to all this as people in robot fandom often act uncouth and call anything they do not like a Gobot as if it was an insult. However, I wish to demonstrate how easy it is to look upon once reviled products in a more positive light when you can see how a series like Machine Robo: Revenge of Cronos takes the same toys used in Gobots and depicts them with a much more professional style and amazing art direction. Thus the media tie in breaks the previous stigma taken from the Hanna Barbera cartoon and reveals that yeah, Gobots were cool toys and they just needed a cool series to show them being awesome. Similarly, I think most people who are really into the VF-4 are more familiar with its depicting in various video games where it is allowed to show its stuff in all three modes rather than the barely 10 seconds of fighter mode it got in Flashback. Nothing helps a giant robot like the ability to see it in motion being awesome.

The more you know.

^ Truth is truth. Using 'Gobot!' as a pejorative is something that has carried over from 1980's playground teasing. Sure the cartoon most of us were familiar with was pretty lousey (as is the name GoBots), but Chronos was redemption and the toys were incredibly well made. Most of them are like little Gokins. Transformers may get the lion's share of attention from me, but some Machine Robo characters rank among my favorite robutts of all time. A large, modern perfect-transformation Fitor (Blue Jet, the red jet!) remains pretty close to the top of my want list.

It's quite UNCOUTH!

I hate that gobot as a kid. Is he really that small as the picture is suggesting or is the girl supersized?

post-1819-0-67390300-1383077403_thumb.jpg

In Machine Robo: Revenge of Cronos, everyone on planet Cronos is a robot (even the human looking ones) and are mostly the same size save for some really large ones.

They even had a Macross reference with little robots that collect empty cans!

Just noticed i typoed. It should be "I had that gobot as a kid" not " i hate that gobot as a kid". lol.

In fact he's one of the few gobots i can identify. Its cool they used that design in Machine Robo Rescue (an under appreciated show even if it skews to a younger audience).

I actually saw the first tape of software sculpture's Machine Robo release (may have actually bought it). But i remember next to nil about it other than the constant talk of the "Wolf Sword".

I think the Battroid mode for the VF-4 is just fine. What Kawamori did with it is fun to look at, especially compared to this:post-582-0-80998200-1383152873_thumb.jpg

If you want to talk about "forced" battroid modes, the 25, 29, and definitely the 30 just have all their extras flung towards the rear in a very careless manner. For the Chronos, they could've at least designed the tail fins to slide forward to not look like a tissue paper passing by would knock it over.

I think the Battroid mode for the VF-4 is just fine. What Kawamori did with it is fun to look at, especially compared to this:attachicon.gifRTvf4.jpg

VF-4ish Fighter mode, Gerwalk has a VF-9ish style and Battroid mode with a Valkyrie/Legioss head. Interesting. I wonder if people in the RT community are liking this design.

I think the Battroid mode for the VF-4 is just fine. What Kawamori did with it is fun to look at, especially compared to this:attachicon.gifRTvf4.jpg

If you want to talk about "forced" battroid modes, the 25, 29, and definitely the 30 just have all their extras flung towards the rear in a very careless manner. For the Chronos, they could've at least designed the tail fins to slide forward to not look like a tissue paper passing by would knock it over.

What the hell is that? Is that some Robotech design? Did that appear in anything? Robbtech is even ripping off the YF designation?

Edited by Sandman

What the hell is that? Is that some Robotech design? Did that appear in anything? Robbtech is even ripping off the YF designation?

That's the newly designed alternative modes of the YF-4 (known as VF-X-4 in Macross). It will be included in the Robotech RPG Tactics game. And no, Robotech isn't really ripping of the YF designation, that's a real-life reference...

Did anyone ever figure out how to (safely) mount a gunpod to this bird?

What I did was sand down the gun handle so it was thin enough to fit into the slot in the underbelly of the vf-4. Works perfectly.

Yeah I know its a real life designation but it wasn't used in either robotech or macros originally. Macross adopted it in plus while robotech has never used it to my knowledge. It just looks like robotech once again trying to grab macros themes and ideas rather than move off on their own path. Sad really.

It's super easy.

Open them up all the way and put the thumbs on the side. Fists are hard to fit but fully open hands area breeze

Could you illustrate this with a photo or two? No matter what positions or contortions I try, those articulated hands just seem too large to fit in that tiny space within the arm.

• 3 weeks later...

Could you illustrate this with a photo or two? No matter what positions or contortions I try, those articulated hands just seem too large to fit in that tiny space within the arm.

Same result, I tried for about 30min to fold the hands into the slot, but it seems it is mission impossible !

Any tip would be welcome Duymon ?

So, I may have found a way that Arcadia could reissue this thing in FB2012 colors. The PS2 game "SDF Macross" features a fully transformable VF-4 Lightning that is usable by the player. What they could do is simply call the FB2012 Skull Squadron VF-4 the "SDF Macross game version" or something and sell it as a game based valkyrie in similar fashion to their VF-X VF-4 release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3gOiNitE7c <- Here's gameplay of the VF-4.