Discovery of Macross?

mrhillz

The difference between Basara and other protagonists is most are likable, charming, empathetic or relatable while Basara is none of those. He’s arrogant, ignorant, abrasive, flippant, aloof, humorless, and more plot than character.

You forgot "BOMBAA!"

He’d be the perfect patron saint of the angry on the internet, if only most didn’t hate him so much, LOL :)

He really would!

Or maybe he's just that good? I know that US special operations forces train in such close quarters that they are shooting over each other's shoulders, and they trust each other to be that good.

Still, it's unnerving, and the pilot Isamu was saving sounded like he needed a change of shorts...

Or maybe he's just that good? I know that US special operations forces train in such close quarters that they are shooting over each other's shoulders, and they trust each other to be that good.

Still, it's unnerving, and the pilot Isamu was saving sounded like he needed a change of shorts...

The beauty of double standards.

post-1819-0-94649800-1440071532_thumb.jpg

Well, yeah. Isamu is the "hero" of the story, while Gavil is a villainous asshat... because he's not the hero. Do you even story bro? (I'm joking, and being an ass for comedic affect, do not construe this as an attempt at a valid argument, please).

But if I'm not mistaken the difference is that Isamu was aiming at the guy behind his wingman, and was trying to hit his target, where as Gavil was just firing indiscriminately and didn't care if he hit his wingman (but didn't hit his wingman). Due to aforementioned villainous asshatery. I could be completely off the mark though.

Well, yeah. Isamu is the "hero" of the story, while Gavil is a villainous asshat... because he's not the hero. Do you even story bro? (I'm joking, and being an ass for comedic affect, do not construe this as an attempt at a valid argument, please).

But if I'm not mistaken the difference is that Isamu was aiming at the guy behind his wingman, and was trying to hit his target, where as Gavil was just firing indiscriminately and didn't care if he hit his wingman (but didn't hit his wingman). Due to aforementioned villainous asshatery. I could be completely off the mark though.

post-939-0-65739200-1440077761_thumb.jpg

I honestly don't see the haterade that's being spilled for Macross 7. Just sit down, turn on the TV, watch the show and enjoy it for what it is, a 90's anime that's balls to the wall and doesn't give a sh*t. If you don't like it, that's fair, but don't try to overanalyze why someone else should give up liking it because of personal opinions. We all have tastes, and my taste is that 7 is different than Plus, but just as good in different ways.

It still amazes me how many threads can end up being derailed to "Macross 7 sucks" territory.

I agree especially since Macross 7 is the best that Macross has to offer.

Also Basara is the best pilot in the Macross universe so he is by default better than Isamu.

I posted this years ago but the thread is now long since buried. And we're wandering into not quite "discovery of Macross" territory so...

I watched a few eps of Robotech in the mid '80s when it was on very early in the morning. I must have been 6 or 7 years old, living in San Mateo, California and if I'm not mistaken, it was airing on channel 2 ("There's only one 2!"). At the time, I'm sure I had Transformers, and I'm sure I'd have been watching the cartoons. But Robotech was different - it was serious, and had themes that felt much more realistic, even to a young kid like I was.

I can't remember if I watched anything in sequence but I remember the opening battle, the VF-1D and then at some point, the kissing scene in front of the Zentradi. So it's very possible I only saw 3 episodes in total. As I recall, we moved to Cloverdale, California and whatever television networks we had, weren't airing Robotech.

But it made a serious impression.

As I recall, I had one friend with a Jetfire and that was because his folks were stinking rich. I couldn't find this toy anywhere and it's likely that if I had, my family wasn't going to be able to afford it.

Fast forward to when I was a teen in the early '90s, after relocating to Oklahoma... A friend got hold of the comics and VHS tapes for the whole Robo-saga. And then I discovered the Jack McKinny novels. I got completely sucked in. That same friend also managed to get hold of a Takatoku SDF-1 and though it wasn't in the best of shape, it was awesome!

I had no concept of the history of the show or that it was based on completely unrelated anime series. At the time, that would have likely destroyed my interest in the whole thing because I honestly didn't understand American syndication or HG like companies and for me, everything was good and right in the world.

My only physical manifestation of anything mecha related was my friend's SDF-1 and a Chunky that was mostly complete. And I built an amazing transforming "Alpha" out of Lego that I loaned to said friend. I never saw it again...

Fast forward again to roughly 2005 and my interest in models got re-awakened. I'd relocated to Southern Australia and started looking for things to build that held my interest. Somehow I discovered Macross World and WM Cheng's beautiful models. And I think even before that, I happened on Captain America's amazing Alpha transforming kit that at that stage, wasn't in a finished state.

At some point I started reading up on what it was that made up this amazing series I saw as a kid and at first, I felt lied to and ripped off. "How could a company cobble 3 different stories together and foist them upon my childhood in such a way and not tell me this is what they were doing?" That was my thinking. But that soon led to curiosity about the originals. All of a sudden, I didn't care about Southern Cross or Mospeada and really just wanted to concentrate on Macross.

It really wasn't until about 2009 or so that I managed to watch the whole Macross series, in all its original glory. But I should mention first that I watched Frontier before that.

So my exposure was Robotech, and finally Macross Frontier, then DYRL, possibly followed by ZERO and then SDFM, so I could set my memory straight about "what really happened." I think I watched PLUS after this and then moved on to 7.

I'm not sure, possibly before 1994, but my most concrete memory of Macross is coming across the Exo-Squad Robotech toys made by Playmates circa '94, amking me 9 or 10. Some how, probably because my mom knew where it was from, we ended up renting Robotech. I didn't even know that Robotech was three different shows spliced together until relativly recently, sometime in the last 5-10 years thanks to the internet, the PB Robotech RPG, and the sharing of movies that happens in the Army during deployments, which is how I discovered Macross Plus.

• 3 weeks later...

1986 was my first exposure - HG released the first two episodes on VHS under their 'Video Gems" banner in the UK;

mqKc4H87yJlP9uq0JouMlxg.jpg

In the days before the internet it was a good few years until I got to see how the story continued. 1994 saw Kiseki start to release the series on VHS. Unfortunately these releases ceased after a 7th volume, with only the first 20 episodes released. It was great to see new episodes, but again, frustration at facing the prospect of another long wait to see how the series continued/concluded.

Luckily, the series was being shown on satellite (Sci-Fi), and with my parents eventually subscribing I finally got the chance to see the whole series.

I was completely ignorant to the existence of Macross, or the origins of Robotech. It seemed a little odd, the three different segments never really seemed to work, and I was left saddened when there was no return to the original characters (from the Macross part) before the series ended. In subsequent rewatches I rarely continued through into the Southern Cross and Mospeada arcs.

Eventually I came across a VHS for DYRL and noted the connection with the first part of Robotech. I assumed that it was the second movie in a series given where that movie starts in relation to what happens in the series. Having piqued my interest I used the Internet, which was then around, and finally discovered the original series and its history with Robotech.

It was then a while again before I picked up the Animeigo DVDs, and then again before I got the ADV sets.

Certainly the ongoing situation with HG angers me, but irrespective I still appreciate Robotech. It was my introduction to anime, and without it I'd never have discovered Macross. That being said, as much as I enjoyed Robotech, I just adore Macross. Even now, 30 years after seeing Robotech, and about 15 since I saw Macross, it's still my favourite anime, without rival.

I picked up the Japanese blu rays a few months ago, which prompted another rewatch. Not only is it a great series. Still. But it's also looking absolutely fantastic in HD.

The sight of the VF-1 on the runaway taking off always made a bad day good. :rolleyes: and the song at the end of macross really had a melancholy affect on me... macross always has had that emotional hold on me up to this day ....

Around that time too bulletin boards and yahoo ruled the web. The first things i tried to search for were 'macross' 'valkyrie' etc etc. Any sighting would drive me crazy! i so elated and would make sure i saved that image on my floppy thinking i got a hard to find treasure..heh...

However that first anime pic always goes to my crush at the time nausicca...

The sight of the VF-1 on the runaway taking off always made a bad day good. :rolleyes: and the song at the end of macross really had a melancholy affect on me... macross always has had that emotional hold on me up to this day ....

Around that time too bulletin boards and yahoo ruled the web. The first things i tried to search for were 'macross' 'valkyrie' etc etc. Any sighting would drive me crazy! i so elated and would make sure i saved that image on my floppy thinking i got a hard to find treasure..heh...

However that first anime pic always goes to my crush at the time nausicca...

Heh, I remember finding the Macross Comlendium in the mid-to-late '90s and printing the whole timeline out...

The first Macross I watched was Plus. I bought the DVD box-set around 2001.

I was at that time oblivious to the rest of the saga.

I do however own a gen1 Jetfire transformer and had seen models of what looked just like my transformer but in some weird hybrid (GERWALK) mode.

One evening after drinking much scotch (as I am wont to do on occasion) I started googling the Jetfire toy and this led to the discovery of VF-1 and the

rest of the Macross universe.

It was around this time Zero (and that glorious opening with the Tomcats and Mig-29s) was in the works.

Needless to say after getting my teeth into SDFM (loved it) and DYRL (loved it) and then 7 (yawn - did it have to be that long?) I was peeing my pants

with excitement for Zero (which has grown on me with ever viewing).

Didn't watch Frontier until it was over and I had all the episodes to binge on - but loved the ride.

Can't wait for the next one.

My first exposure to Macross was through HG. Not as Robotech, but as Macross, the home video release that had the first 3 episodes of SDFM. Rick Yamada/Ichijo Hikaru, Lisa Hayase?/Hayase Misa. I can still remember the theme song, "Soldier of warlords from deep space, MACROSS! Hurled through the night to this new place, MACROSS!, etc." Robotech came next. My first time watching DYRL was Clash of the Bionoids. Eventually, I got to watch the Japanese version of everything. Buying Macross II as an OVA in Japan. Got the Manga Entertainment release of Plus, watched 7 through a Japanese tv rental store in the area. I would wait every month for the next 4 episodes to be put on tape and available and took that home and copied it. Still have those tapes along with the Japanese CM's. It's amazing how far we've come in terms of being able to watch newer versions of Macross. I'll always be a fan of the franchise.

I would wait every month for the next 4 episodes to be put on tape and available and took that home and copied it. Still have those tapes along with the Japanese CM's.

I'm really glad the most of those promos are on the Mac7 DVD sets, but I miss the Chie Kajiura "Dakedo Baby" and Tomo Sakurai "Baby Baby" single ads...

• 2 weeks later...

I think I've already posted on this thread before but since it is Macross's birthday today, I'll reiterate: I had seen a few minutes of episode 2 of Robotech on a friend's TV in about '98 and remembered that the concept of a plane transforming into a robot was cool. Fast forward to 2011, the guys at the Gundamn!@MAHQ podcast had been reviewing Macross Frontier (TV) and the movies and I knew that the old series I saw was the original Macross. The ADV dub was available on Hulu and things spiraled from there.... B))