Full Metal Panic! Action Figures

Archer

So, I didn't see any threads regarding these figures, but I know that there used to be one in the past, so I thought I'd reinstate a new one in response to this:

http://www.hlj.com/product/ALT20805

Alter's new 1/60 M9 Gernsback. Alter made a previous 1/60 Arbalest, and this time, their taking a shot at the M9.

I missed my chance at picking up the arbalest (and its sold out pretty much everywhere now), so getting this is a no brainer for me.

Looks REALLY cool, but then again, its about an inch shorter than a 1/60 VF-1 and nearly 2800 yen more expensive, so your mileage may vary. I think its a great piece of work though.

What do you guys think?

alt20805.jpg

While I think the sculpt and accessories look really sharp, the price tag is just too high. To be honest I would stick with the robot damashiis because with each new release the articulation and detail is getting better and better. Furthermore, it looks like Bandai is making the full cast of FMP mechas in the robot damashii line. If Alter's version was 7 or 8 inches tall with a metal frame I would totally eat this up. For now this figure just looks like a slightly taller, slightly more detailed, and slightly more gimmicky RD.

Edited by SuperHobo

^I know what you mean, but I really think that the sculpt on these things is levels ahead of the robot damashii ones. Furthermore, I think alter is coming out with enemy mecha in the future (at least, going along with what they previewed at past hobby shows).

Also, I really like all the gimmicky stuff that this one comes with, but agree with you, 12800 yen is a LOT for a 6 inch action figure.

^I know what you mean, but I really think that the sculpt on these things is levels ahead of the robot damashii ones. Furthermore, I think alter is coming out with enemy mecha in the future (at least, going along with what they previewed at past hobby shows).

Also, I really like all the gimmicky stuff that this one comes with, but agree with you, 12800 yen is a LOT for a 6 inch action figure.

Are their any plans to make new Full Metal Panic animation?

Hmm I don't remember seeing any of the enemy mecha at any of the hobby shows that Alter attended and I think Alter has been teasing he M9 release for a couple of years now. <_< However, the more I look at this piece and see how many weapons it comes with, I'm curious to try this figure out. Maybe.

I have Alter's Almecha Kosmos from this line. It is my favorite and best engineered figure in my collection. Absolutely flawless, and even the box is a masterpiece.

However the M9 is around 14cm tall. Fairly short for a Mech especially at that price range.

As well, Bandai is remaking their FMP mechs in the Tamashi line taller from their previous versions (12cm), and now also stand above 14cm. So I'm getting these instead since it's also less than half the price of the Alter version.

Here's the first of the remakes. Next in line are several bad guys from Second Raid.

http://www.amiami.jp/shop/shop?vgForm=ProductInfo&sku=TOY-RBT-1953&template=e_review.html&set=english

Fine it doesn't have the cockpit and tiny little extras, but fullfills it's purpose on the shelf.

TOY-RBT-1953_01.jpg

TOY-RBT-1953_05.jpg

TOY-RBT-1953_04.jpg

And yip, hopefully the Manga will soon reach it's end, so the final season can begin production.

Is that final season your referring to anime?

Also, yeah, I really like the robot damashii versions, but they all look like toys to me, not as refined as the Alter version, which is more akin to "military" type models in my opinion. All the little details and markings, alongside the rediculous number of weapons it comes with makes this a winner in my book.

I dunno, its really expensive though!

@ SuperHobo: At some of the previous hobby shows where they previewed the m9, they also showed off some of those enemy frog like AS. I forgot what they are called though :unsure:

Edited by Archer

Also, yeah, I really like the robot damashii versions, but they all look like toys to me, not as refined as the Alter version, which is more akin to "military" type models in my opinion. All the little details and markings, alongside the rediculous number of weapons it comes with makes this a winner in my book.

I dunno, its really expensive though!

Yip, next or final season... Hoping...

But yeah, as I said the Kosmos from this line is absolutely brilliant. So you won't go wrong with this M9 by Alter.

Although this new line of Damashi is fantastically detailed, minus the text markings and opening cockpit feature.

All I say is this. I passed up on the RX7 by Alter a few years back. And after reading all the reviews, and getting the Kosmos, I have massive regrets in not getting it.

Also, I found this on wiki... A live action film adaptation was announced by Mandalay Pictures in April 2009, with Zac Efron rumored to be attached to the project.Efron has since confirmed a meeting took place regarding the project but added that the adaptation was unlikely to happen.

Yeah. Apparently, the official excuse for not following Second Raid's blatant sequel-hook ending(hell, there's an entire plot thread that does nothing BUT set up for the next season) is "well, the books aren't finished, and we don't want to do another season until they are."

I can't see how this is actually a PROBLEM, though. Especially after leaving Second Raid sitting on, for all intents and purposes, a cliffhanger for six years.

What I take away is they don't want to animate any more than they absolutely NEED to close the series out, as opposed to wanting to sell a new FMP series every year for the next decade.

Especially since the main book series ended last year and no new animation has been forthcoming.

I can't prove it, but I suspect that the Full Metal Panic anime didn't actually do particularly well in Japan.

One of the very few reasons I can think of that someone would say they DON'T want to do more sequels than they absolutely have to is they already know there won't be a good return on it.

The only other reason I can think of is that the author of the books was too involved in the animated adaptation and they don't want to work with him.

He was involved with Second Raid and Fumoffu to the degree that he wrote the scripts for several episodes of both. That's... not common. In fact, I can't think of another example of it happening.

I'd love to be proven wrong, in either case.

Yeah, she does have family I believe, though they live in another region/country. I think she mentions calling them at one point or another IIRC

Also, I had the pull the preorder on this. Another item that I am VERY excited about, the 3AToys MG Rex, is set to release sometime in April, and preorders open up in January. Unfortunately, I can't sponser THAT much money for toys, so I chose to go with the more expensive REX.

I hope these things are still available a few months down the line, and don't sell out like the RX7.

Edited by Archer

I was watching Full metal panic s1, fomufu, and, second raid and I wondering what the consequences of sagara"s bontokun suit being for sale I can remember when thos bank robbers use ak-47 and body armor in LA and eviscerated the LAPD.

I hope that sagara did not let the gang keep the bontokun's.

Bonta-kun was awesome, as was fumoffu as an overall series. Gah! Such a fun little series to enjoy one's time with!

I bet if team topaz was using bonta-kun's that machete packing teen might not have had a chance.

Apparently Bonta-kun's a playable machine in "another century episode R" their are a few videos on YouTube showing gameplay.

Edited by miles316

I was watching Full metal panic s1, fomufu, and, second raid and I wondering what the consequences of sagara"s bontokun suit being for sale I can remember when thos bank robbers use ak-47 and body armor in LA and eviscerated the LAPD.

I hope that sagara did not let the gang keep the bontokun's.

Huh? From what episode? What I remember is that it's the American Police who bought Bonta-kun suits and successfully using it against bank robbery. It was on the news at the end of that Fumoffu episode where the Yakuza use Bonta-kun suits.

"

Huh? From what episode? What I remember is that it's the American Police who bought Bonta-kun suits and successfully using it against bank robbery. It was on the news at the end of that Fumoffu episode where the Yakuza use Bonta-kun suits.

"Another century episode R " the game were every giant robot anime known to man is fused into a some what coherent story.

Edited by miles316

Whoa, did not know that the new Robot Damashii Arbalest was taller! I have the original and I think it's okay, honestly I was expecting more out of it. I even thought that maybe the Revoltech is better...

And it's more detailed and better in proportions. How tall is the old Damashi to the Revoltech?

"Another century episode R " the game were every giant robot anime known to man is fused into a some what coherent story.

I see; I thought you're talking about the anime.

And it's more detailed and better in proportions. How tall is the old Damashi to the Revoltech?

7a87d717-s.jpg

Thanks for the pic reeoyuy.

Wow, the Revoltech is that small... :(

Glad to see the new Damashi is more accurate in lineart when compared to the first version.

And here are some awesome pics of Alter's RX-7. So beautiful...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bat_/sets/72157621216052917/

@ SuperHobo: At some of the previous hobby shows where they previewed the m9, they also showed off some of those enemy frog like AS. I forgot what they are called though :unsure:

The Savages.

Edited by Omegablue

I know I skipped the Alter Arbalest because it was too expensive for what you get. Nice sculpt and details? Sure. Opening panels and tons of accessories? Great. But same asking price as a Valkyrie but without the engineering marvel of transformation? Can't do it. A substantial amount of diecast would have tipped the scales in the other direction for me, but alas it's all plastic.

If the new Robot Damashii figures do end up being the same size (and effectively the same scale) as Alter's figures, I'll just settle for the upcoming Robot Damashii releases.

Edited by Chet

Darn! I didn't know the new ARX-7 would be taller. What should I do with my old collection?

Back to the topic; I've preordered two already. It's around US$138 each for me to get it from the local shops.

Amiami has a 24% discount which is a good deal too.

• 5 months later...

Alright, just sent payment in for the 1/60 Gernsback from FMP The Second Raid. Can't wait. It's pretty well accessorized. http://www.hlj.com/product/ALT20805

I have the Kosmos from this line. It is without a doubt the only toy that is identical to the prototype images. And the quality and finishing, well it gives a lesson to all other toy makers. :D

You'll love it. :)

• 1 year later...