Can you get the Musashi, too?

I still find it staggering that human beings could build something so big, deadly and beautiful. Will we ever see anything like it again?

Nimitz class carriers and super tankers are certainly bigger than even the mighty Yamato, and super carriers have an asymmetrical beauty all their own and are deadlier than any dreadnought could ever hope to be; carriers' effectiveness were abundantly proved way back in WWII. So, as graceful and intimidating as battleships such as the Yamato, Missouri, and Bismark were, they're a product of a bygone age and an outdated naval strength doctrine that makes them obsolete in today's world... a pity, but we'll likely never see their like again.

Edited by mechaninac

Nimitz class carriers and super tankers are certainly bigger than even the mighty Yamato, and super carriers have an asymmetrical beauty all their own and are deadlier than any dreadnought could ever hope to be; carriers' effectiveness were abundantly proved way back in WWII. So, as graceful and intimidating as battleships such as the Yamato, Missouri, and Bismark were, they're a product of a bygone age and an outdated naval strength doctrine that makes them obsolete in today's world... a pity, but we'll likely never see their like again.

Granted, the sheer technological marvels of modern warships eclipse the Yamato and it's like, but it's the primitive, comparatively barbaric nature of the Yamato that I find impressive. A modern warship like an aircraft carrier sends out technology to precisely attack it's opponents. But the Yamato was built to walk up to its opponent and just start swinging with nothing but destructive might and some luck to win the battle. I find that fascinating in the Yamato, as well as other war machines from the past...

The Akiba Yodobashi is one of the first places I looked for it. I haven't hit all the shops in Akiba yet, so I still might find it there.

I did find the first 4 blurays for 2450 yen each. They had all 7, but 5-7 were priced for twice as much.

Even at twice that price, it's still half or slightly more than Retail price. Heck, it's even cheaper than Amazon Japan. The only disc out of the final three below 6000 yen at the moment is 7, which is currently half price.

Because 5-7 were the episodes they didn't bring over to the Starblazers Bluray release in NA.

That's got nothing whatsoever to do with the prices of the later discs.

Even at twice that price, it's still half or slightly more than Retail price. Heck, it's even cheaper than Amazon Japan. The only disc out of the final three below 6000 yen at the moment is 7, which is currently half price.

That's got nothing whatsoever to do with the prices of the later discs.

Really? Then pray tell why those discs are priced that way?

Can you get the Musashi, too?

I still find it staggering that human beings could build something so big, deadly and beautiful. Will we ever see anything like it again?

No, each tier of ship is broken down by class and model for each nation, mainly the USN and IJN so far. For example the Yamato class is a tier 10 battleship. Tier 9 is the Amagi and on down.

No, each tier of ship is broken down by class and model for each nation, mainly the USN and IJN so far. For example the Yamato class is a tier 10 battleship. Tier 9 is the Amagi and on down.

There are also premium ships that you can purchase that are based on specific ships from history. For example we have the HMS Warspite which a Queen Elizabeth class ship. The standard QE ship will be a part of the British tech tree, but you can buy the Warspite which has slightly different stats/weaponry and allows your crews to gain experience faster.

As of this point there isn't a premium for the Yamato, but it wouldn't surprise me if they came out with a Yamato kai premium based specifically on her late war armament. It wouldn't shock me either if the Musashi became the stock tech tree model and the Yamato becomes the premium ship.

Granted, the sheer technological marvels of modern warships eclipse the Yamato and it's like, but it's the primitive, comparatively barbaric nature of the Yamato that I find impressive. A modern warship like an aircraft carrier sends out technology to precisely attack it's opponents. But the Yamato was built to walk up to its opponent and just start swinging with nothing but destructive might and some luck to win the battle. I find that fascinating in the Yamato, as well as other war machines from the past...

You should read up on the state of gunnery direction on late battleships. The technology aboard the Yamato was as cutting edge as a supercarrier, for its day.

You should read up on the state of gunnery direction on late battleships. The technology aboard the Yamato was as cutting edge as a supercarrier, for its day.

That's a laugh. The Yamato's range finders and gun directors were old even by first world war standards. The fact that the IJN didn't take radar as a tool of war very seriously at all really hurt them. The American ships on the other hand integrated radar range finding very early on making their guns deadly accurate.

There are also premium ships that you can purchase that are based on specific ships from history. For example we have the HMS Warspite which a Queen Elizabeth class ship. The standard QE ship will be a part of the British tech tree, but you can buy the Warspite which has slightly different stats/weaponry and allows your crews to gain experience faster.

Unfortunately the Warspite is no longer for sale though it may come back. However tomorrow for the North American players you can buy the Tirpitz! The EU and Asian server players are already able to buy it though.

That's a laugh. The Yamato's range finders and gun directors were old even by first world war standards. The fact that the IJN didn't take radar as a tool of war very seriously at all really hurt them. The American ships on the other hand integrated radar range finding very early on making their guns deadly accurate.

I was really talking about the "built to walk up to its opponent and just start swinging with nothing but destructive might and some luck" comment, which hadn't been true of major naval vessels for 30 years prior to the Yamato's launching.

The Japanese range finders and gunnery direction computers (as they were known then) were leaps beyond WWI standards, as were those of all the world's major navies. There had been major advances in gunnery systems and directors in the decade before the Great War, and they continued up to the Second. The lack of quality radar equipment in the IJN is well known, but the Yamato's equipment was as good as could be expected given that limitation. For the early 1940s the Yamato had as high tech a suite of equipment as could be expected from a naval vessel, with that one exception.

I'll admit, most of my knowledge of the ins and outs of 20th century naval gunnery technology and development comes from Friedman's book on the subject, but even without that I've never read anything that would even suggest "old by first world war standards" is anything like accurate. Certainly, the basic concepts underlying most of the directors in service in the Second World War were already being used in British systems of the Great War, but all major navies had made significant progress on the systems in the intervening years.

Which is all just to say, yes, they were very advanced pieces of equipment for their day.

Why the hell is the 1/500 2199 Yamato model so hard to find? Did Bandai stop producing it? It's actually starting to piss me off, especially considering that I can find plenty of old Gundam models from the early 80s in stores, but not a kit that is only a year or so old! If I knew that I was going to have such a problem finding it, I would have bought it at NY Comic-con and lugged the thing to the X-Japan concert last October. Even worse is that I can find the expansion kit for it all over the place, but not the main kit!

Why the hell is the 1/500 2199 Yamato model so hard to find? Did Bandai stop producing it? It's actually starting to piss me off, especially considering that I can find plenty of old Gundam models from the early 80s in stores, but not a kit that is only a year or so old! If I knew that I was going to have such a problem finding it, I would have bought it at NY Comic-con and lugged the thing to the X-Japan concert last October. Even worse is that I can find the expansion kit for it all over the place, but not the main kit!

amzn is prolly your best (and only) bet these days for it.

It's been on backorder-status forever at ami and hlj.

I think I got the last one that ami sold a few months ago.

I searched some website about its plamodels and found the situation is actually much more difficult than I have expected.

Sold out at the mail order sites of Tam Tam, Liberty and Volks. Those of Mandarake and Amazon JPN have some, but you have to pay for the extra shipping charges after coming back home...

Hmm...

TBH, I have enough time to kill today, and I am in Akiba (Suehiro-cho.)

I have not found it yet.

Well, I found 2 "1/500 Yamatos," but those are "Space Cruiser Yamato" and the box art is old.

I have visited more than 10 shops, but my deed's gonna be end in vain...

post-14942-0-26070900-1442553434_thumb.jpeg

guys, i'd be very interested in which shops you visited in akihabara, if you don't mind.

i'll be there in a couple of weeks. last time i was there two years ago, i felt i missed a good number of shops that weren't on street level.

thanks

The purpose is to buy some plamodels.
Hmm.
I have not bought those ones there, but I think these shops below are famous ones.
Yodobashi Akiba  ※indispensable
Yellow Submarine ※indispensable
Volks ※indispensable
Hobby Shop Tam Tam ※indispensable
Sofmap Amusement-kan
Liberty Juunigoukan
Liberty Juusangoukan
LAOX Akihabara Main Store (Duty Free Shop)
Mandarake
Leonardo LG
Leonardo ET
There may be more shops.
That LAOX shop is the model shop where Ranka Lee was wearing Valkyrie Girl's costume at in the first MF movie.

It can be worth trying places like department stores and "ordinary" toy shops like "Kiddyland" in Harajuku; the impression I've always had with the large Akihabara shops is that they have a high turnover of items, whereas more "mainstream" shops sometimes have stuff sit around a while. Theres also a toy store near Ueno station that I can never remember the name of (ah - Yamashiroya); you can't miss it if you stand on the walkway above the streets; its a bit up from the Marui (OIOI) City department store and has what looks like a cartoony starship Enterprise for a logo.

I actually did try a few department stores and other smaller venues and still no luck. Sadly, I'm back in the US already. I'll probably buy it on this side of the Pacific, but of course, for a much higher price than I would have in Japan. Although, if I do factor in the cost of shipping if I had bought it in Japan, the price would have come out around the same.

If you or anyone else is still looking. StarshipModeler just got 1 in stock.

https://starshipmodeler.biz/shop/index.cfm/product/2813/1500-yamato-2199.html

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Cool! Glad you got it. SSM is a good store it's probably already on its way! Happy to help ;)

Chris

You are, indeed, correct! I got the shipping info and the kit was picked up at 4:44 pm, CST. The price wasn't bad, either. With the shipping, the order came out to $97.10, which is still less than Gundam Planet's price of $117 before shipping (though I could avoid that since Gundam Planet is located about 90 minutes from me).

I'm feeling a strange sense of accomplishment seeing that I bought the only one they had in stock!

MegaHouse Akira v2 is 40% off @CDJapan: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOGDS-134711

I constantly preorder my Megahouse girl figures from Yamato and Sayla from Gundam, but they all end up >40% off at Amiami preowned.

Is this the common trend nowadays for PVC statues to go down? Maybe with the rise of pre-owns, people are indifferent with a non-articulate second hand figure as they don't have joint wear.

I constantly preorder my Megahouse girl figures from Yamato and Sayla from Gundam, but they all end up >40% off at Amiami preowned.

Is this the common trend nowadays for PVC statues to go down? Maybe with the rise of pre-owns, people are indifferent with a non-articulate second hand figure as they don't have joint wear.

Regular releases of MH figures tends to hit the bargain bin upon release. So it would be better to just wait next time :p

• 1 month later...