Built big scale Yamato:

141126032039282626_resize.jpg

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=64907

LOL, when you said big scale, I thought it was some custom jobby in someones basement that was like that lego monster someone built of IJN Yamato or something truly massive.

Still, thats a pretty nice build of the 1/500. I was tossing around the idea of picking up the GX64 on sale at amazon right now (Its dirt cheap right now at $179) but the more I look at it, the more I realize how lacking in detail it is compared to a real model like the 1/500. I havent built a model in years, but I think I might get back into it just to tackle this one.

$179 for a completely built Yamato on a smaller scale with lights and sound, hassle free, versus $100 for a larger scale, more detailed kit that I have to build myself.....I’d get both, but the wife would have my balls.

This is still one of my favourite 1/500 builds that Ive seen so far:

3188.jpg

5146.jpg

Love the wood decking and blue lighting treatment in contrast to the standard grey decking and green light windows.

6127.jpg

Edited by peter

Works out for me, since I just ordered all 7 seasons of ST:TNG on bluray during black friday sales

How much did that run you?

Lovely ship but I don't have $250 for a single model. I'm happy to have picked up Star Blazers 2199 volumes 1-4 on Blu Ray for $100. Now all I need is disc 6 and 7 of Yamato 2199 to finish it up (except for 2 episodes, have to get disc 5 for that).

I think the $250 he was referring to was for the Star Trek TNG sets.

Chris

Some spoiler-free thoughts on the movie.

The movie was good if not what I was hoping for. It really does feel like an extended episode, a 'one more adventure' more of the same, as opposed to anything really new. As such, it doesn't really set up ANYTHING for potential sequels.

Drags on the middle and the main bad guy is a dumb ass. They also try to retcon a certain returning character from a total dick in the series to kind hearted but misunderstood due to a tragic past kinda thing that didn't really sit well with me.

The major battles that bookend the movie are awesome though and obviously have a bigger CG budget than the series did.

So ultimately, a fun romp while it lasted, but essentially more of the same and honestly a bit underwhelming.

Oh, it also has Klingons, Photon Toroedoes, and space hotels.

post-9325-0-93545300-1417996397_thumb.jpgpost-9325-0-27817500-1417996448_thumb.jpgpost-9325-0-15254800-1417996514_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tochiro

Any word on the bluźray street date? Prettu sure I need this movie to live. Shame about the no hints about a sequal. I wad hoping that dince Hijikata popped up again, we might get some underconstruction Andromeda teases.

Some spoiler-free thoughts on the movie.

The movie was good if not what I was hoping for. It really does feel like an extended episode, a 'one more adventure' more of the same, as opposed to anything really new. As such, it doesn't really set up ANYTHING for potential sequels.

Drags on the middle and the main bad guy is a dumb ass. They also try to retcon a certain returning character from a total dick in the series to kind hearted but misunderstood due to a tragic past kinda thing that didn't really sit well with me.

The major battles that bookend the movie are awesome though and obviously have a bigger CG budget than the series did.

So ultimately, a fun romp while it lasted, but essentially more of the same and honestly a bit underwhelming.

Oh, it also has Klingons, Photon Toroedoes, and space hotels.

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

In other words, let the Iscandar story rest and get on with the next season already...

Just watching that proto-Magna Flame Gun (Ok, my Japanese friends, WTF is that gun called from the original series?) just nuke the Gamalas ships makes me weep when(if) the Cosmo Navy Refits start getting nuked... in the TV series that we are waiting on batted breath for them to even annonce that they will make? Has Yamato 2199 been fanancially successful enough that they will continue it?

Well, I dkn't know how successful 2199 has been, but I'm pretty sure we'rr safe. Many soundtracks, tons of merch, a full series that was 2 episodes longer than the standard 2 cour runs shows get these days, a tv run, a compilation film, and this new film.

Edited by Keith

I think it's 1/100 scale. Looks very similar to the newest 2199 1/500 scale in terms of detail, but then again, I'm no expert on models, maybe WM Cheng could comment on a comparison in terms of detail.

Looks way better than the last promo display I've seen:

19.jpg

Speaking of promo displays, does anyone know whatever happened to that massive live-action promo display?

GiantYamatoModel01.JPG

Sad to think about it's destruction if that's what happened (same feeling as knowing the original SW or ESB Millenium Falcon being scrapped).

Edited by peter

That display Yamato is indeed 1/100 scale and in full 2199 version detail, right down to Okita standing inside his cabin. And there are actually 2 of them as it was spotted at 2 different venues in the same day. Unless it could actually warp, that's the only explanation. :)

Here's an older display model I found with a significantly less amount of detail, definitely not the same model, but was passed off as a 2199 version:

11309.jpg

6390.jpg

I'm pretty sure that Gunnap.net got the scale wrong as well, because they were saying it was 1/350 scale.

http://www.gunjap.net/site/?p=82736

Here's a nice 1/1000 scale diorama:

524.jpg

187.jpg

Edited by peter

Thanks for posting those photos! Godzilla and the Yamato together- that about summarizes two of the cooler shows my family likes (next to Macross of course)!

So the windows are backlit green! I've got the Bandai 1/350th model I'm hoping to hit over Christmas break. Of course the amber LEDs will be wrong. I'm also trying to take some fiber optics and a light board from an ornament to try and produce the tachyon effect when the gun charges. I tried putting the fibers up to the clear part, but it's hard to mount them. Drilling little holes will make "shadows" when the exhsiting LEDs are "fired" off from the ship.

If you guys got any ideas or suggestions let me know! - MT

I'm also trying to take some fiber optics and a light board from an ornament to try and produce the tachyon effect when the gun charges. I tried putting the fibers up to the clear part, but it's hard to mount them. Drilling little holes will make "shadows" when the exhsiting LEDs are "fired" off from the ship.

If you guys got any ideas or suggestions let me know! - MT

ooh, i can't wait to see this.

off hand, i think shadows won't be a problem. they'll probably be washed out by a bright enough LED.

or, maybe you can just have the tachyon effect around the barrel interior.

I just received my Star Blazers 2199 disks 1 to 4. Other than the title being Star Blazers rather than Yamato everything else is the same. A pity they did not release the last two disks.

Are you going to buy the Japanese disks to complete the series?

So the windows are backlit green! I've got the Bandai 1/350th model I'm hoping to hit over Christmas break. Of course the amber LEDs will be wrong. I'm also trying to take some fiber optics and a light board from an ornament to try and produce the tachyon effect when the gun charges. I tried putting the fibers up to the clear part, but it's hard to mount them. Drilling little holes will make "shadows" when the exhsiting LEDs are "fired" off from the ship.

FYI

Go for it.

At least disks 6 and 7 if the SB disks are not released soon (and I am not expecting that they will be) That would leave me missing episodes 17 and 18.

Wait...how did you just receive your disks? I got the impression their online ordering ceased months ago...