It seems that Mamoru handed down the paperback of Chuya Nakahara's poem to Sanada-san. He was reading it in the messroom in the chapter 4 or 5. It looked like an Iwanami-Shinsho paperback.
Mamoru said, 「汚れつちまつた悲しみに」"Yogorechimatta Kanashimi ni" and it is the title of Nakahara's poem.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C5%ABya_Nakahara

To enjoy this movie more, I should learn more about some literary and historical things.
Why historical? "Yamato Keikaku","Izumo Keikaku","Amaterasu", and "Amano-Iwato Hiraku" all came from the ancient terms from the Japanese historical publications; Nihon-Shoki and Kojiki written about 1,300 years ago.

Ah, without such knowledge, you could enjoy the show, no worry.
I just want to know what the creators imply and want to say. That could be the clue of the story of Yamato 2199.

Edited by antibiotictab

It seems that Mamoru handed down the paperback of Chuya Nakahara's poem to Sanada-san. He was reading it in the messroom in the chapter 4 or 5. It looked like an Iwanami-Shinsho paperback.

Mamoru said, 「汚れつちまつた悲しみに」"Yogorechimatta Kanashimi ni" and it is the title of Nakahara's poem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C5%ABya_Nakahara

To enjoy this movie more, I should learn more about some literary and historical things.

Why historical? "Yamato Keikaku","Izumo Keikaku","Amaterasu", and "Amano-Iwato Hiraku" all came from the ancient terms from the Japanese historical publications; Nihon-Shoki and Kojiki written about 1,300 years ago.

Ah, without such knowledge, you could enjoy the show, no worry.

I just want to know what the creators imply and want to say. That could be the clue of the story of Yamato 2199.

Knowing what Amaterasu and Uzume were back in episode 1 did get the whole code thing to a whole new level. :D Amano-Iwato Hiraku" indeed. :)

Knowing what Amaterasu and Uzume were back in episode 1 did get the whole code thing to a whole new level. :D Amano-Iwato Hiraku" indeed. :)

Thanks for your reply. I have been wondering if I should write those things or not. As a Japanese, I have been thinking Yamato 2199 is filled with our cultural backgrounds.

I found a picture. This is what they were reading.

post-14942-0-80980400-1364438148.jpg

Edited by antibiotictab

Thanks for your reply. I have been wondering if I should write those things or not. As a Japanese, I have been thinking Yamato 2199 is filled with our cultural backgrounds.

I found a picture. This is what they were reading.

attachicon.gifimages.jpg

Wow, they went as far as reproducing the actual cover... nice. Do write and share those references with us. :D

Yesterday we got the long version of the chapter 5 trailer. What could be more awesome than that? How about the first 9 MINUTES of episode 15!!! yamato2199.net has announced for today the release of the clip. Nothing yet on the Bandai Channel or Hikari TV sites but sometime today it will be coming.

Wow-this is not your father's Space Cruiser Yamato. BTW I was wondering when that squinting bastard was finally going to pull his mutiny...

Resist if you must but it's here and WOW, it's awesome... and i really, REALLY hate Gimleh now... XD

http://youtu.be/razr75oOsGE

In this video, a person/ people from Iscandar is/ are in the Yamato, Miezela says.

Yuria Misaki is a little stranger than she used to be. Hmm.

Yuria=Yurisha?

Actually I said Yuki and Yurisha's VA is Houko Kuwashima. But she IS Houko Kuwashima. She acted 2 different characters at once in Macross F; Canaria Berstein and Nanase Matsuura. She can do it.

I can't say "Yuki=Yurisha" as the conclusion.

And Yuria Misaki, hmmmm.

After coming to the Wave Motion Engine, Yuria has changed. Something ghostly in it?

Just like Tochiro's spirit is in the Arcadia's engine...

In this video, a person/ people from Iscandar is/ are in the Yamato, Miezela says.

Yuria Misaki is a little stranger than she used to be. Hmm.

Yuria=Yurisha?

Actually I said Yuki and Yurisha's VA is Houko Kuwashima. But she IS Houko Kuwashima. She acted 2 different characters at once in Macross F; Canaria Berstein and Nanase Matsuura. She can do it.

I can't say "Yuki=Yurisha" as the conclusion.

And Yuria Misaki, hmmmm.

After coming to the Wave Motion Engine, Yuria has changed. Something ghostly in it?

Just like Tochiro's spirit is in the Arcadia's engine...

I think we misunderstood the final line in episode 14. I believe Yurisha didn't return to her body, maybe she liked running around in Misaki's body and decided to stick around for a while. But she is definitely in Yurisha mode. No hair pins = Yurisha mode. XD

Now just need someone to post screen caps of that preview.

Jebus - awesome.

Working on it, as usual. XD

'Wes, thanks again!

You're most welcome. :)

Edited by westfall

so the Tea-drinking dude from that Chapter 5 clip, who shot the envoy from the world (i assume), doesnt seem to mind 'Not taking prisoners, today'... is his fleet aligned with other gamalas fleets? i keep seeing different colors (though simular shapes and tech)... are we gonna get a civil war going?

Man, if i could wave my magic wand of combining genre's and call the Gamals Empire the future of ONE (or more) Macross Colony fleets? im talking thousands of years into the future, so that the simularities of each culture is the reason folks are still going to war with each other...

Yeah, i know. Never happen. but one can dream?

so the Tea-drinking dude from that Chapter 5 clip, who shot the envoy from the world (i assume), doesnt seem to mind 'Not taking prisoners, today'... is his fleet aligned with other gamalas fleets? i keep seeing different colors (though simular shapes and tech)... are we gonna get a civil war going?

Man, if i could wave my magic wand of combining genre's and call the Gamals Empire the future of ONE (or more) Macross Colony fleets? im talking thousands of years into the future, so that the simularities of each culture is the reason folks are still going to war with each other...

Cival War: I think that's the ONLY way the Yamato will stand a snowball's chance in hell of making it to Isacandar and back to Earth.

As for the 'pic above, seeing her smile makes her look like an entirely different character...

Edited by myk

The bombing of Planet Altaria has a grimmer side to it as not only Gimleh wants to root out rebelious members but it seems they produced bad tea... yeah, check this comment by a fellow fan, August Ragone at my 2199 Fb page:

"The quality of the Emperor's tea has soured, and the provincial Gamilas overseer is trying to keep his job. Gimleh has him shot and wipes out the planet for their slacking. This seems to be a riff on the threats made by the Gamilas towards the people of Beemela in the original series, as the quality in their production of Royal Bee Jelly was falling off..."

August also believes this might be a way to sour Desler's popularity, as a first move to overthrow him.

As for the fleet, this dark blue fleet is assigned to Gimleh and his forces which are kind of like the SS of Garmillas. They're also assigned to guard Desler who, supposedly, has a dark blue Domelus class battleship.

Tell them.. 'IDIOTS!' IDIOTS! (or 'NUTS' as some translations go)

Some Japanese fans say "Nuts!" is better. Because both Pierre Jacques Étienne Cambronne and Anthony Clement McAuliffe said "Nuts!"(Merde! in French) to their enemy. Okita used the quote of them, they say.

Well, some of those fans are so intelligent...

Straying off topic here, but isn't "merde" the French word for "sh!t" (the Portuguese word "merda" sure is...), and "noix", "écrous", and more appropriatly in this context, "fous" French for the English word "nuts", and the Japanese "baka"?

I got the impression that, given the specific situation of Okita's remark, that some of the translators were definitely referencing McAuliffe's response to the Germans at the siege of Bastogne.

Yep, "Merda" is the portuguese word for crap. When Melda's profile came out and i looked at the htms wording i was like "Oh, WHY?!" XDDD Glad the english subs named her Melda.... XD Nuts has the literal meaning of the fruit, and the figurative meanings "crazy" or as a more toned down expletive, usid instead of crap! or frakk! though it's not as used as those two. :)

If 2199 were ever dubbed into Portuguese they would rename her completely to avoid dooky jokes. When Patrulha Estelar (Star Patrol, the name they decided to give Space Battleship Yamato, like the rename to Star Blazers in America), where in the USA Yuki's name was Nova, they gave her the name of Luna, because "nova" just means new, and I'm pretty sure the translation was done from the English version instead of the Japanese as the ship's name, and other details, coincide with the US version. Also, the first time I heard the heroin's name from Pixar's Brave I did a double take because the broguish pronunciation of Merida is pretty close to the way the Portuguese say "merda" (the Brazilian pronunciation not as much), and the spelling... well if you drop the "i"...

Edit: Instead of crap does not mean it means crap; nuts in its vernacular still means crazy. But I understand what you're saying; It's like when language in movies gets changed for general broadcast, like when you hear a character say "forget you" in a voice that doesn't quite match, instead of the original and much more colorful F U.

Edited by mechaninac

Laputa, hah! Even though it is lifted straight from Gulliver's Travels, anybody from a Latin background is bound to be innitially puzzled why the title to a Japanese cartoon movie would be "The Wh0r3"... :lol:

In an attempt to steer this thread back to the title topic, is the overall fuselage color of the Cosmo Zero in 2199 supposed to be a light gray such as FS 36622 (Camouflage Gray) or FS 36495 (Light Gray) or FS 16473 (Aircraft Gray), or is it bare matal like aluminum or titanium?

Bare metal. I'll post pictures of my first 2time that are nearly complete...just finishing the decals and pilot.

1 is Kodai in flight with the heavy assault load. The other is the UNCF (prototupe) in the folded up configuration.

Also just got my 2 Yamamoto Zero's. 1 will be Yamamoto's Alpha2 with just missiles and the other will be a custom painted as an old Japanese A6M Zero...a through-back like I did with the SW-190's.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Thanks Dobber, good to know; I can't wait to see images of your finished fighters, either here or in the workbench thread. I think I'm going to attempt bare metal foil aluminum, with select panels in hasegawa's titanium and duralumin to cover the fuselage in authentic metal; either that or Testor's metalizer aluminum buffed to different sheens.