Theres going to be a postcard set of new Yuki illustrations at the opening of Chapter 4 on Jan 12. Am digging the sample one so far. Heres hoping they do one for Yamamoto next!

I adore the way they drew her. Personally speaking, she's a close 2nd to Capcom's rendition of Mai Shiranui as my dream-anime girl...

Is it only me that finds it strange they haven't revealed the cover for the volume 4 brochure yet? Wonder if they stoped making them? That would be a shame. Overall, they're keeping a lid on the upcoming merchandise, except for will be sold at Froovie.

Dengeki Hobby's Type 99 Space Fighter Attack Craft "Cosmo Falcon" box translation: http://sketchleystat...CosmoFalcon.php

I should probably post picts of the work-in-progress kit (just have to paint it...) along with a review...

EDIT: and here's a piccie (unpainted, of course). The panel lines are really detailed, and I'm surprised at how well the kit looks (just wish it was, like, twice as large.)

post-3910-0-64358600-1357664972_thumb.jpg

Anyhow, behind it is the Kirishima I'm in the process of panel lining (still have to glue on a few more greebles). Am working on a translation of an article in Dengeki Hobby about building the ships in that set.

Edited by sketchley

Finaly a peek at the Chapter 4 Booklet Cover, this one featuring the Balun Base Command Tower. A radical design change from the original base (for both the base and the planet / brown dwarf, maybe?) but in keeping with the beautiful Gamilas (or Garmillas, which seems to be catching on) design aesthetics. :D

59894_482641701777678_1931302019_n.jpg

I wish that I could be listening to the OST every morning!

????? Amazon is your friend. *\(^o^)/*

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B008YINR6E/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1357859059&sr=1-1π=SL75

Volume 2 of the Yamato 2199 manga that's currently running in Newtype Ace.

YAMATO 2199 to air on TV! (in Japan)

post-9325-0-95440600-1357877333_thumb.jpg

The official Yamato 2199 website announced today that Yamato 2199 will be broadcast on TBS and MBS on Sundays from 5PM starting this April - the first time an original Yamato tv series has aired in 33 years!

http://yamato2199.net/news.html

Also, Chapter 5 will hit cinemas on April 13 :-D

Edited by Tochiro

As indicated earlier in this thread... got around to completing the translation of the model kit building advice article in Dengeki Hobby for the 1/1000 UN Cosmo Navy Combined Fleet:

http://sketchleystats.webatu.com/Trans/DenHobMag/DH2012-12.php#20

Alas, it doesn't have much, if any, fun facts on the actual anime. One of these days I'll get around to translating the in-universe stats and write-ups for the ships that appear on the kit's box and in the instruction manual. One of these days...

Wow..... Episode 14 includes a side of Rahxephon and a sprinkle of Ulysses 31....

Guessing the Ulysses 31 part is the crew suspended in the air? XD Can you post a review of the movie? It would be greatly apreciated. :)

For those who want the Yamato to run into hard times, which i'm guessing they already do in Chapter 4, the episode descriptions for Chapter 5 are sure to please you as Domel will have them going through hell. Not sure i like the idea of having stargate-like devices thrown in to the Yamato universe but i'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Check the descriptions in August Ragone's blog, right here:

http://augustragone....-chapter-4.html

Edited by westfall

thank you, thank you, thank you! i thought the model gallery there was lost forever.

strange that it hadn't occurred to me to check the way back machine when i usually tap it for GK sites that have received CnD's from George Lucas...

edit: is there an easy to use software that downloads entire web pages and sub pages while keeping the pictures as separate jpegs ie. not print to pdf?

Edited by Major Focker

The outer jacket for vol. 5 on amazon.jp is the best yet. IMO.....with Yamato firing torpedo's

3dce4f7e8d1fc2aee7affc3df380e482.jpg

Sweet!

Chris

That is a sweet cover. Even though it's just a tiny bit of the ship, the details are giving me a nerdgasm.

The outer jacket for vol. 5 on amazon.jp is the best yet. IMO.....with Yamato firing torpedo's

3dce4f7e8d1fc2aee7affc3df380e482.jpg

Sweet!

Chris

oh lord, to see the same POV for one of the later EDF vessels...

i haven't seen the Yamato launch scene from the original anime series, so pardon if this is a silly question: when the Yamato was being constructed, was it completely underground with a faux WWII Yamato on the surface? or was it only partly underground with an external shell on top in the shape of a rusted WWII Yamato?

in the live action movie, caked pieces of mud were shown flaking off the Yamato when it launched.

in 2199, it was shown to be firing at an enemy carrier, hence only partly submerged.

but how was it in the original?

if indeed it was just a shell on the top, that must've been very hard to construct the top part of the ship from inside, even with pre-fab. i know i'm overthinking this, but i'm just nerd-curious.

Edited by Major Focker

i haven't seen the Yamato launch scene from the original anime series, so pardon if this is a silly question: when the Yamato was being constructed, was it completely underground with a faux WWII Yamato on the surface? or was it only partly underground with an external shell on top in the shape of a rusted WWII Yamato?

in the live action movie, caked pieces of mud were shown flaking off the Yamato when it launched.

in 2199, it was shown to be firing at an enemy carrier, hence only partly submerged.

but how was it in the original?

if indeed it was just a shell on the top, that must've been very hard to construct the top part of the ship from inside, even with pre-fab. i know i'm overthinking this, but i'm just nerd-curious.

I've always wondered about that myself, as it's never made sense to me. I was hoping that 2199 would explain that bit of story-telling but the way I look at this it's just going to be written off as a matter of anime magic...

Count me as another person who always wondered about that. 2199 mentioned something about camouflage, but realistically the real Yamato and the SB Yamato only share a passing resemblance to each other. Not to mention where did all of the SB Yamatos fins and antenna magicallyl come from? Like you said, probably just a case of anime magic. :)

Chris

Edited by Dobber

i haven't seen the Yamato launch scene from the original anime series, so pardon if this is a silly question: when the Yamato was being constructed, was it completely underground with a faux WWII Yamato on the surface?

In the original show the WWII Yamato was fixed up and made into a spaceship. So the ruins on the surface was supposed to be the Yamato we see throughout the show.

Pity the show's premise would not have worked out nearly as neatly if it was made in the late 1980's versus the 1970's. The condition and precise location of the wreck of Yamato wasn't known until sometime in 1984.

Still, it's a great way to recycle a battleship.

In the original show the WWII Yamato was fixed up and made into a spaceship. So the ruins on the surface was supposed to be the Yamato we see throughout the show.

thanks!

Pity the show's premise would not have worked out nearly as neatly if it was made in the late 1980's versus the 1970's. The condition and precise location of the wreck of Yamato wasn't known until sometime in 1984.

yeah, had they known in the 70's that the Yamato was split in half and the superstructure pancaked and sheared to the side, they might have thought twice about creating that story that SBY was the reconstruction of an older ship. i'm glad things panned out as they did, laden with symbolism and heritage.

For decades I fantasized about filming my own Yamato live-action film, and the way I worked the wreck of the original Yamato into the story was the EDF constructed a shipyard and base beneath the wreck, where the space-faring Yamato was being constructed. Then, similar to the established anime, the Gamilas would bomb the site and out of the crumbling ruin of the WWII Yamato the space-version would emerge, cannons blazing and doing its thing. That was just my idea, anyway...;

Character file for Milenel Link, posted earlier. Can anyone translate? :-D

Edit: translation provided by a fellow member at another forum:

Mirenel Link:

Garmillas Central Intelligence Special Officer

18 in Earth Years

Rank of Lieutenant.

Born on the Planet Jirel

An intelligence officer who works directly for Selestela, and a psychic. The two of them are also the last survivors of Jirel.

By using the Aquarius Ruins hyperspace network in Balan base, she materialized her mind onboard the Yamato, where she performed information gathering and acts of sabotage.

chara_img_mirenel.jpg

Edited by westfall

thanks! yeah, had they known in the 70's that the Yamato was split in half and the superstructure pancaked and sheared to the side, they might have thought twice about creating that story that SBY was the reconstruction of an older ship. i'm glad things panned out as they did, laden with symbolism and heritage.

I suppose they could have used the Musashi wreckage....but not sure if she's still intact or all seprated like Yamato.

I always thought it would be cool if Musashi got rebuilt and they had a scene in the show of the two sister ships side-by-side. Maybe throw in a Shinano for good measure. There's a picture of Space Battleship Musashi floating around out there, but it looks kind of weird. Don't think it's official or anything either, might be fan-made.

But just real quickly back to Musashi, does anyone here know what her current status is? Has she been found? Photographed? I heard a silly rumor that there were talks of raising her, but the Phillipine government was putting restrictions on that idea?

I suppose they could have used the Musashi wreckage....but not sure if she's still intact or all seprated like Yamato.

Still looking for info but found this neato page about her.

http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/312-ijn-musashi/

A couple of sites mention it being found but all of them strictly in a discussion board, so my guess is that it has not been found yet.