YEEESS!!

Excellent news. Thanks for the update.

For a moment I was a bit disappointed because I thought that it was far into the future and we wouldn't be able to see anyone from the cast we know. Then I read carefully and I realized that it's 2202. So it's only 3 years into the future. :p

Gonna start a new thread Dynaman? Or we keeping it all in this one?

This one is pretty long, probably a good time to start a new one. I never thought this remake was going to be as good as it was when I first spotted that news story way back when!

Sooooo....is this gonna be like more or less the new "Comet Empire" series or something completely different? :huh:

A combination of elements from Yamato 2/Comet Empire and Saraba Yamato, which was the movie version of the Comet Empire story which was released before the TV series and has a much higher body count.

Hopefully we will see the Gamilons overwhelmed by the Comet Empire before they proceed to invade Earth's system. 2199 was so good I think the producers have earned the right to take the show where they want.

The name is based on that of the original saga's movie form of the Comet Empire Story: Saraba Uchuu Senkan Yamato: Ai no Senshi.

Injecting facts never gets anywhere. :p

Also, I've clearly watched too much anime, because "Soldiers of Love" just sounds really darn cool.

The name is based on that of the original saga's movie form of the Comet Empire Story: Saraba Uchuu Senkan Yamato: Ai no Senshi.

Which I've always seen in English as "Arrivederci Yamato", a perhaps inaccurate but much superior title. (tried to put it through google translate and it came back untranslated!)

Which I've always seen in English as "Arrivederci Yamato", a perhaps inaccurate but much superior title. (tried to put it through google translate and it came back untranslated!)

Arrivederci is Italian for "farewell". I'm not sure about where that title originated though (I'm guessing an Italian version?). The official English title of the movie was Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato: In the Name of Love.

Arrivederci is Italian for "farewell". I'm not sure about where that title originated though (I'm guessing an Italian version?). The official English title of the movie was Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato: In the Name of Love.

Arrivederci is commonly used in English as well. One of those words we stole.

I prefer to refer to it as "adopted"... ;)

"Borrowed" I believe is the preferred term.

It's not limited to English, but some countries, for example the French, have a dedicated ministry set up to limit the penetration of borrowed words (or erosion of French in other words), whereas other countries, such as Japan, welcome it to the point that it is obfuscating the language (especially true when its a politician speaking to the elderly).

What bothers me is that the concept of having "stolen" someone's culture/language is a relatively recent phenomenon that appears to be occurring in only one English speaking country. Is it the Politically Correct phenomenon rearing its head again?

Edited by sketchley

What bothers me is that the concept of having "stolen" someone's culture/language is a relatively recent phenomenon that appears to be occurring in only one English speaking country. Is it the Politically Correct phenomenon rearing its head again?

If you consider 1776 or even earlier to be recent. Most countries built on immigration will adopt, borrow if you will, words and phrases from the various immigrant groups that had an impact on its cultural formation, specially early on. In the case of America that would include, in addition to the obvious English: German, French, Yiddish, Italian, Spanish, and many more. And it's not only limited to immigrant built nations, but common in colonizing ones as well; Great Britain infused English (itself an amalgam of many languages and dialects) with many words from its colonies (Ex: India). What I'm getting at is that there is no such thing as "stealing" (in this case, a politically loaded term divorced from reality) someone's culture/language (there is destroying other cultures/languages through conquest, and the phenomenon of primitive ones extinguishing themselves by casting aside the old in favor of the new, but those are entirely different topics), and borrowing/adopting words and customs -- even the commingling of cultures -- is something that's been a part of humanity for as long as it's existed; the only difference today is that modern transportation and communication technologies make this process of cross-pollination and dialect evolution a lot faster in any society open to growth.

Sorry for the thread derailing...

Edited by mechaninac

It's this SJW concept of "cultural appropriation". Pay it no mind. Lots of words have their origin in foreign languages, but nobody thinks about it. Tycoon, honcho, skosh, karaoke, soy, and rickshaw for example, just to name a few from Japanese alone. It's just hip to be down on Anglophones these days.

As I understand it, "cultural appropriation" is less about words, and more about ideas and practices, especially from closed religions/belief systems. I know this because a friend of mine is an Anthropology student. I think that it's a load of bunk, but then I'm just a barbarian so...

I'm really happy about the news that Yamato is getting a new season, regardless of the title. Also, and interesting note, Yamato featured in a recent presentation I did for my Japanese class.

Going back to the post that spawned the appropriation tangent:

I've always been under impression that "Arrivederci Yamato" was the official title. In Japanese - or at least the on-screen English title of the Japanese release - like how Eva had both Japanese and English episode names - but with different (yet complimentary) meanings.

• 1 month later...

this came out today. lucky to pick one up at Animate.

not as awesome as the previous books but a good one to have nonetheless.

scout plane, seagull and melda's fighter got some love. then all the capital ships in the movie.

haven't seen PO yet at HLJ, AA, HS.

if someone comes across this at those places, please shout

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 vessels precision machinery art book HYPER MECHANICAL DETAIL ARTWORKS Vol.2

CbnFt-NUMAEXkp_.jpg

Series writer Harutoshi Fukui had completed Episode 10 by the end of February this year. According to the March Yamato Crew Ship's Log, the aim is for a release early next year.

Nuts. I was hoping for it sooner. I'm getting all antsy in my pantsy over it.

• 2 weeks later...

An update from Yamato2202.net!

Added to the messages section, illustrations from Makato Kobayashi (who, according to westfall, is taking the role of assistant director), Junichi Tamamori, and Taiji Ishizu, who are doing mecha design.

You're going to want to look at these.

Although I must admit, I'm disappointed by one of the images.