I'm probably the odd man out here but something's not right with her face; specifically her mouth. I'll most likely buy her though...

Lol. Actually I think the proportions are spot-on. But...they went through the trouble of designing that fabulous flight suit stretched over that curvy, sexy body, then top it all off with a beautiful swath of blond hair, set gorgeous eyes with nice color and then.......paint nothing but a pink slit for a mouth? It makes the face look unfinished; maybe it's the lighting?

I will need to request antibiotictab to find out if the actual Yuki-v2 will have visible pantylines or not coz of this shenanigan...

Megahouse's marketing-page:

http://www.megahobby.jp/products/item/1434/

vs

AmiBlo's pictorial:

http://ameblo.jp/digitamin/entry-11919976176.html

:D

I mean, the vpl is a nice detail, but not really that kewl overall...

-edit:

attached the pics. for the sake of posterior posterity...

post-263-0-08780900-1409991313_thumb.jpg

post-263-0-34211900-1409991349_thumb.png

Edited by treatment

Is this the super fanservice release or the super troll release from Megahouse? :p

When the new preorders hit, I found the B-type Yamato Crew Original Color version of Yuki's first sculpt. I really like her black and white uniform from Final Yamato, even though the movie was so-so when compared with the original TV series. I'll have to wait until I see pilot suit Yuki in person, but I may end up selling my copy if it ends up as goofy as the promo shots.

Looks like the Hollywood version of Yamato is actually happening.... from the guy who bringing us Mission Impossible 5.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-09-07/newspaper-space-battleship-yamato-gets-hollywood-film/.78505

I'd be surprised if it actually makes to production. It seems like ever since Speed Racer's failure Hollywood has given up on anime films.

I may be remembering wrong, but didn't the Japanese Yamato live action movie only do so-so? It looked really well done, but I wonder if that may have been due to just general lack of interest in adapting it that way.

Assuming that's true, I'm curious what the thinking behind a Starblazers version is. If the original story retold to its original target audience didn't do so well, what makes them think an adaptation of an adaptation for a foreign audience would do well?

Or maybe Starblazers actually did better in America than Yamato in Japan? I don't know. Maybe they're banking on American nostalgia being a stronger pull... they might not be wrong about that.

I couldn't imagine an American version without a major re-design of all the iconic elements (ie; the battleship in space) - there just isn't the kind of sensitivity or respect to original source material in Hollywood.

I may be remembering wrong, but didn't the Japanese Yamato live action movie only do so-so? It looked really well done, but I wonder if that may have been due to just general lack of interest in adapting it that way.

Assuming that's true, I'm curious what the thinking behind a Starblazers version is. If the original story retold to its original target audience didn't do so well, what makes them think an adaptation of an adaptation for a foreign audience would do well?

Or maybe Starblazers actually did better in America than Yamato in Japan? I don't know. Maybe they're banking on American nostalgia being a stronger pull... they might not be wrong about that.

The Yamato live action movie was a hit in Japan. IIRC it was the top movie of the year in Japan in 2010. Folks loved it in Japan. Western viewers didn't think too highly of it though. It would suggest that a Hollywood remake will likely have to have changes to fit Western tastes and ideals.

Starblazers did not do better in America than Yamato in Japan. Uchuu Senkan Yamato is an icon in Japan. If you had to list the top 5 most important and influential anime in history, Yamato would be on that list.

Edited by Vifam7

I couldn't imagine an American version without a major re-design of all the iconic elements (ie; the battleship in space) - there just isn't the kind of sensitivity or respect to original source material in Hollywood.

The guy slated to direct is a Star Blazers fan, so there is hope.

The Yamato live action movie was a hit in Japan. IIRC it was the top movie of the year in Japan in 2010. Folks loved it in Japan. Western viewers didn't think too highly of it though. It would suggest that a Hollywood remake will likely have to have changes to fit Western tastes and ideals.

western tastes and ideals being not having crappy CGI and even crappier acting.

western tastes and ideals being not having crappy CGI and even crappier acting.

You mean, like in Transformers?

The CG and acting wasn't that bad in the Yamato live-action. The CG was pretty good and the only real bad acting came from the Black Tiger squadron members. The main leads were okay.

(...) and even crappier acting.

Different cultures have different ideas of what acting is. And you're not the first to mention it. Check out Ebert's review of "Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence" for more on the Western European vs. Japanese acting style differences.

The recent Yamato live-action movie was kinda decent. Lots of wasted potentials, tho, prolly coz the producers and sponsors really made it (and every other anime-to-live-action adaptations) way too safe and way too accessible to the general masses everywhere. I'm still a bit peeved that Yuki

is an ace

in this live-action version.

That's what bugged you? I didn't mind that portrayal of Yuki at all, and likely it's why we got a female Yamamoto in 2199.

Now killing off Kodai right after killing Okita on the otherhand, completely pointless.

Edited by Keith

Let's see what happens.

Hollywood has ample funds in hand.

I thought the live action movie was good for $24 million budget. Let's see what Hollywood can do with a $200 million budget.

edit: I know what they can do with a $200 million budget. They made another battleship movie.

Edited by wmkjr

I thought the live action movie was good for $24 million budget. Let's see what Hollywood can do with a $200 million budget.

edit: I know what they can do with a $200 million budget. They made another battleship movie.

I'm down with that, actually. Battleship was WAY better than it had any right to be.

That is the first time I remember seeing wood on the top of the Yamato (except the real one of course). That would not fare too well in space. (OK, so I love Galaxy Express too and a train doesn't belong in space either - no matter what handwavium excuse is given)

It's not wood, it's laminate, haha! All kidding aside, it does look good, though wood would definitely be impractical in space.

that is one sick model

Edited by peter

Hm. The Galaxy Railways are perfectly acceptable in Matsumoto Leiji's universe, because Matsumoto writes fantasy in space.

In other words, there is no need for any hand waving. I'm actually tired of the need for realism in good fiction. We wouldn't have had great SF writers like Iain M. Banks if realism were the end all, be all of everything fiction.

Edited by technoblue

Beautiful model, so well executed... really gorgeous. However, it isn't really in keeping with the anime, its got the live action movie engine tail cone, but there just too many "greebies" panels all over it, the wire antenna is just too WWII old school to be convincing and the rust streaks are just a little much for a space faring vessel. It just lacks the flavour of the overall subject matter - a beautifully technically perfect model that was built though.

Beautiful model, so well executed... really gorgeous. However, it isn't really in keeping with the anime, its got the live action movie engine tail cone, but there just too many "greebies" panels all over it, the wire antenna is just too WWII old school to be convincing and the rust streaks are just a little much for a space faring vessel. It just lacks the flavour of the overall subject matter - a beautifully technically perfect model that was built though.

What did you think of the model from the live action film? It looked to me like the main turrents resembled the ones on the WWII vessel more than from the anime.