@Dynaman: Respectfully, I don't know that it makes more "sense." Because why build a story around a ship that can warp great distances, then throw that object in over half way through and 1/4 of the way into the round trip?

Because of poor pacing.

It worked without it just in the first version of the series (if I remember correctly).

I should ask my friend, who's better versed in the Yamato lexicon than I, if this was ever a thing before. Otherwise, MacGuffin.

Look, I dig this as much as the original. Even more so with the updated animation. I got them for a friend (he paid me back), he's tickled pink and I'm getting to enjoy the spoils with him. But I'm glad I didn't drop several hundred for the blu-rays of this series, because I'd be disappointed in myself at this point over watching something this slow.

Now, I'm sure the las 8 remaining episodes are going to be fabulous and I look forward to seeing the conclusion of the new saga.

> Because why build a story around a ship that can warp great distances, then throw that object in over half way through and 1/4 of the way into the round trip?

The Yamato can warp within the galaxy, but going clear across to another one is a different story. In the original they just went and did the long warp one episode (which begs the question, why didn't they do it earlier? After a test warp or two?). In this one they did not do that since they couldn't. A little better internal consistancy. That and I think there is going to be more of the plot revolving around the device and those who made it coming up.

Edited by Dynaman

Is the next volume of this out in a few days......

CD Japan has volume 6 being released on friday. I don't know if the 26th is the official release date.

Speaking of which, I have the first 3 volumes and want to get the next 3 (loviiiing it!) but wanted to ask if anyone knew who offers the best deal with combined shipping included. Amazon has clearly the best retail price, but their shipping can be a bit pricey sometimes since they only do DHL to Europe.

In my experience, buying the Blu-rays for a friend who desperately wanted to see the series in HD, Amazon Japan was the best deal even with the steep shipping. I dunno how YesAsia, CDJapan or any others stack up, but Amazon Japan has them on sale (or at least below listed retail) at an average of $56 a piece + $6.40 shipping each (total shipping was $32.00±) when I bought discs 1-5 a few weeks ago. Obviously the exchange rate is the variable.

Just running discs 6 & 7 through the cart, they come out to around $68 a piece shipped. That's not too bad!

*Edit: Those shipping quotes are International Express to the U.S.

Edited by Cypher

July 31st. You can get it in the usual shops, like Amazon.jp or CD Japan. :)

Is it this book?

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=NEOBK-1501763

Out of print - is there anywhere else to get it?

edit: just got it on Amazon.jp - but ouch! 3,000Y was the only shipping option available...

Edited by wm cheng

I like CD Japan's point system. It is a little dated, but when it works well it can negate shipping or cut it in half. I also really appreciate how the shop packages its goods. Everything is secure in a box, padding, and packing paper. Other shops seem to cut costs in this area and I worry about what I'll receive when the post arrives. Sadly, this applies more to domestic shipments in the U.S. than to anywhere else that I've ordered from.

Anyway, my preorder for disc 6 is in. I believe, among other things, the Porco Rosso Blu-ray should be coming with that order too.

Have you seen the new opening for TV version of Yamato 2199? It'll start playing in episode 16.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_9VknkMg8Q

Goodbye for classic theme. Welcome for explosions and rock.

ok... i will admit that, at first exposure, i feel as if someone shoved a brillo pad into my ass and vigoursly scrubbed.... this is a joke right and not legit?

*mumbles* i guess, today's youth may think the original theme song as lame...?

Edited by TehPW

is it just me, or did the vol6 character animations take a hit?

not that it's badly animated, just that the previous volumes were superb. this time the texturing seemed simpler and the shading more flat.

fortunately the mech stuff remained exceptional and the action was thrilling. really liked how they were channeling WWII Pacific theater.

as for Domel

damn! i didn't know he was going to die. i thought he was going to side with the Yamato crew and charge into Gamillas.
i really liked his character. shame to see him go.

i hope they really make a spectacle of the last volume. no scrimping please.

Have you seen the new opening for TV version of Yamato 2199? It'll start playing in episode 16.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_9VknkMg8Q

Goodbye for classic theme. Welcome for explosions and rock.

I could cope if it was at just a different song, but IT SUCKS!!

is it just me, or did the vol6 character animations take a hit?

not that it's badly animated, just that the previous volumes were superb. this time the texturing seemed simpler and the shading more flat.

fortunately the mech stuff remained exceptional and the action was thrilling. really liked how they were channeling WWII Pacific theater.

I had not noticed BUT there was so much battle footage (which was all spectacular) that it may have needed to be paired down a bit to make budget.

As for Domel

His wife does survive and join the rebels, I'm positive we have not seen the last of them. And then there are the Comet Empire/Gatlantis troops released in the prison riot too...

And Desslar, I thought it was the OTHER side making use of the secret police death squads, I need to rewatch the ealier episodes.

Edited by Dynaman

Using my best Norm Macdonald voice...note to self...order printed materials from HLJ.

(My 2199 Earth Book is on the way, but Ami's shipping prices were high compared to HLJ's).

Was finally able to watch my vol.6 last night.....WOW!!! what a great vol. Episode 20 was amazing!!!

Chris

Even though they showed it in the trailer, the shot of Bergers carrier listing and all of the fighters sliding off the deck was brilliant......

Just got my volume 4 and 5. Looking so much forward to this.

Volume 6 and the OST are on the way. In order to avoide paying customs fees I have to keep shipments separate and make sure they don't arrive on the same day. Sucks to have to pay the extra shipping but it beats paying over 35% of the value to the taxman.