Berserk: The Golden Age Trilogy: Part 1 - Egg of the Supreme Ruler

UN Spacy

The previously announced Berserk anime film project will retell the Golden Age arc of Kentaro Miura's manga in three parts. The title of the first part, Berserk Ōgon Jidai-Hen I: Haō no Tamago (Berserk Golden Age Arc I: Egg of the Supreme Ruler), was revealed last week. The first film will open in Japan next January.

TRAILER

POSTER

FTXDl.jpg

Too bad the anime didn't finish the mangas.. i was very perplexed when it ended abruptly and then i found the manga which to this day reminds of my resident evil with numerous mooh moohs coming out of the wood work.. too bad the chapters come out like once a month.. excited about the film though.. I wonder if it will do deep into the manga..

Wow. I'm excited about this. As twoducks said, I really hope that this film is a success and they have enough momentum to do a series. I'd love to see them animate the Retribution arc.

Bit of a shame that they didn't get some of the seeiyus from the original series. Specially Nobutoshi Hayashi as Guts.

And of course I'm hoping it we get a nice BD release soon.

Edited by Marzan

• 7 months later...

Saw it at the cinema back when it came out (part 2 hits this weekend, yay!). Overall I was.....underwhelmed. The use of CG (much like in the Blood C movie) was pretty poorly done and totally ruined the larger battle scenes for me. Having said that, the 2D stuff was nicely done and the music rocked. I suppose the main lasting impression I had was that it just covered familiar ground. Entire shots and lines were identical to the anime/manga. But that's how the whole trilogy will be so I've kinda resigned myself to it. But in return I get a mor focused, compact reselling with crisp new 2D animation and the chance to see it with a cinema full of hardcore berserk fans, lol.

I liked the large battle scenes, or at least the one at the very beginning. It took me a while to get used to the new voices, but I'm not big on the new character designs (too rounded). Another thing I noticed is how sparse the BGM is. Overall though, I enjoyed the movie.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the chance to see it. I too, was a bit distracted by the use of CG and not too crazy about the new character designs (specially Griffith) but other than that was rather pleased. The story followed the manga and series closely and the new seeiyus did their job well. And the music was pretty good. I'm rather looking forward for the next 2 films and I'm hoping that they are successful enough in order to allow the subsequent production of an OVA or series that can take on the story after the Golden Arc.

• 3 weeks later...