1/60 VF-0A w/ ghost, Is it Really THAT bad?

Archer

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this thread is in the wrong location. Just recently, I got a chance to get a MISB 1/60 Shin VF-0a with ghost for approximately $220, and this is a figure that I've wanted for a while now, being a newer collecter in the Yamato stuff.

I guess my question for you would be: Is the figure that bad?

I've read TONS of reviews and whatnot, all mentioned the craptastic nature of the shoulders, etc., but was it really that bad? I plan on fighter or GERWALK displays mostly with the ghost attached, and I really like the shin color scheme (much more acceptable with the ghost than Focker's color scheme imho).

How widespread was the issue, and how profuse was the damage if one recieved any out of the box. If I'm super careful, can I avoid it?

Should I take the chance, or am I just a moron well out of my mind.

Sorry for all the questions guys, and TIA

-Archer

EDIT: Almost forgot, would you happen to know of any places that still have the re-release -0A edition (I think it has a different box art). This would solve my problem much more easily :p

Edited by Archer

The rumor was that about half way through the production line Yamato made a change to how the shoulders were being assembled which largely solved the problem. So, that means about 50% of the Shin 0A toys are potential candidates for broken shoulders. Of that 50% it's hard to say how many will actually show problems but it seems to be fairly common, so I would guess that about 15%-25% of the total toys produced have serious issues. You can add that to the 3-10% that would have other manufacturing issues and you're not looking at very good percentages (although statistically there'd be some overlap). This excludes the known issues with the toys arms falling apart at the bicep swivel since I have no idea how prevalent that failure is. The shoulders can break regardless of handling although handling obviously will make it worse. The main issue appears to be that putting the shoulders on their ball joints caused stress to the plastic which meant that the plastic eventually cracks (if it didn't crack already at the time it was popped onto the ball joint).

$220 isn't a bad price and the part of the shoulder that breaks is usually covered (for the most part) by the clip on shoulder plates. So, you could purchase the toy with the anticipation of having to fix it before long. You're paying about $70 bucks more (before shipping) than the new 0A unknown type goes for and you're getting a more heroic paint scheme plus a ghost. I don't know, for me, this would be a toss up. If I liked Shin's scheme that much more than the unknown soldier type and I was desperate for a 0A I'd probably roll the dice... especially if I didn't care about resale value or something like that.

$220 is a very reasonable price for a 1/60 0A Shin - congrats. Very difficult to find new for a reasonable price. Yes be very careful with this particular baby as with any VF-1s known with shoulder problems you wouldn't want to risk stressing the shoulders even on gerwalk mode. IMO fighter looks the best and it stays like that in my collection. Sad to say that this hobby is not cheap and given the high quality representation of these Valkyries I handle them like models rather than toys. Also watch out for the small tailfins and other protruding thin pieces of plastic as they are prone to snap easily if mishandled or tipped over (unless in fighter mode). Breaking a Shin is like winning the lottery and losing your ticket. If you managed to get a VF-0A go all out and have fun with that one. It's much cheaper and more easily found than the Shin version.

Edited by Isamu Dyson

it's more the overall fit of the different parts of the 0A Shin that's bad... esp when you compare it to how solid the v.2 VF-1s feel. As for the shoulders, i've been really careful with mine when i transform it, so no issues so far. I also loosened the screws for the shoulders for good measure.

aside from the shoulders here are some of the other problems with the VF-0 series:

1. droopy front fuselage in fighter mode - chronocidal documented how to disassemble the nose/cockpit part and then bend the die-cast slide bar upward slightly in the "What's wrong with my Yamato, Bandai etc" thread.

2. the connection between the upper thigh tabs to the chest lerx part is very loose in fighter mode. you can use super glue or nail polish to tighten the tab connection.

3. the lower leg tabs that connect to the backpack in fighter mode also doesn't lock in very well. - this i've given up on. <_<

EDIT - 4. almost forgot... it's a pain in the @ss to keep the missiles on the wing hard points.

on a side note, i recently just discovered that the neck of the VF-0 toys are actually extendable. :blink:

good luck with your 0A Shin. i love mine, but it's really just a display piece and not really a toy you can play around with.

5764436532_b3f6556730.jpg

Edited by m0n5t3r

It's a beautiful toy. I bought one late in the game, well after the issues of the shoulder were announced, and when I bought mine, I pretty much opened the box, looked at it, then put it back in the box, and it's been there ever since. I love it, just don't have space for display, so I may end up selling mine as well.

Thanks for the replies guys. Just wondering, but where are you guy's getting re-released 0A's (unknown solider types) for that cheapt ($170?).

I can't seem to find anyone re-release 0A for that cheap, but I would jump on it if I could fin one (considered the ghost booster is only a nother $30, seems like a better deal to me).

But yeah, this seems like a difficult gamble to play.

Well, being overly optimistic and opportunist here, if anybody want to sell their Shin Kudo w/Ghost Booster set, please give me a holler...heh... :lol:

I for one do not care about the resale value...so if breakage does occur, I'll probably just superglue it.

I'd love to just fix on if an issue arises too, but alas, I'm probably as good at fixing toys as I am cooking, and I can't cook for my life (ok, that was a bad analogy).

Anywho, I'd probably end up breaking the toy further in my attempts to fix it. I did a little more research, and I *might* just go ahead and buy one, as fighter mode easily looks like the mode for display anyways :p

Awesome shot btw Eugimon!

EDIT: Eugimon, are those the actual color hues of the -0A, or have then been adjusted in anyway. They look a lot darker than in some other pics I've seen, and I like!

Edited by Archer

I just got a 0A (mass production), and I lucked out and got the safe(est?) release of the mold for a pretty good deal here on MWF (Thanks, Dreadpyrat)

There are parts of it that feel a little looser in fighter mode than I might like, but it is drop dead sexy in all three modes. To me, it's a more realistic and "perfected" representation of the VF-1 design, and is actually my favorite Macross toy I own right now.

I decided to wait it out for a decent priced -0S. Might as well get a solid toy at least if I'm gonna drop that much money on one.

I kind of got scared while continuing my google searches and seeing sheared arms. Someday, on MWF, there will probably be someone selling one

at a decent rate that I can buy. Until then, no -0S for me :(

Now, while waiting, on to finding a YF - 21 original release :D

I love my vf-0a standard edition (i have the spare shoulders though in case) as this is closest thing to the low vis. Its even nicer in batroid mode.

And as for the yf-21 original release, that is the best toy that i have, and is a keeper, you cant go wrong with that toy, honnestly, get that one, even if you have to sell your shin!!!!

I like my CF 0A, I have it lying in a heap with Nora readying the execution. I've been feeling the temptation to order my Shin 0A from the many CA based vendors on evil-Bay. I guess I'll make it the X-mas gift to myself, but I'm wary about the arms disintegrating since I don't live in Japan anymore and I don't believe Yamato even makes the arms for Shin's since I had to return the entire arm assembly for my CF once my replacements came in and there was cause for concern so my wife had to let them know what color the Valk is.

I've been feeling the temptation to order my Shin 0A from the many CA based vendors on evil-Bay. I guess I'll make it the X-mas gift to myself,

Macross_Fanboy Warning - stay clear from toydiscountstore on ebay located in the CA area. They have a Shin OA and it was an awful experience for me, please check out blacklist thread for the whole story. Unless you can pick it up personally don't go through the trouble of ordering from them, you may get something else.

I got a brand-new Shin 0A, but was too timid to transform it. I had a 0A with an exploded arm, after all.

Later I've got a 2nd hand Shin 0A (reasonably priced). The good thing about a second hand 0A is that I can verify whether it gets a good arm.

IMO, can't go wrong w/ a VF-0, provided you don't get one with issues. Mine's still in one piece, packed away for safekeeping. It's a striking valk in all modes, and I almost prefer it to the VF-1 (heresy, I know). It's a beautiful update to the VF-1 ( I know it's supposed to be the precursor to the VF-1, but everybody here knows that, in design terms, the opposite is true. The VF-1 reflects its 80's design aesthetic, and the Vf-0 reflects the modern aesthetic, with stealth characteristics).

Where'd you get the spare shoulders?

I got the replacements (actually the whole arms) from overdrive at the begining of last year. I think I paid 15 bucks for both arms. My VF-0A has gone through numerous transformnations and the arms are holding up fine.

I got the replacements (actually the whole arms) from overdrive at the begining of last year. I think I paid 15 bucks for both arms. My VF-0A has gone through numerous transformnations and the arms are holding up fine.

You paid shipping or actual money on the replacements? I wanted to help some guys out, but the process was a pain to go through just in calling them because like I said in my previous post, I don't think Shin 0A arms are available.

You paid shipping or actual money on the replacements? I wanted to help some guys out, but the process was a pain to go through just in calling them because like I said in my previous post, I don't think Shin 0A arms are available.

I paid actual money on the replacements (VF-0A unknown soldier). Outside yamato's customer service within Japan, Shin's 0A arms were never available.

I was wrong when I said I got the replacements at the beginning of 2010, it was 2009 instead.

Edited by Ignacio Ocamica

I paid actual money on the replacements (VF-0A unknown soldier). Outside yamato's customer service within Japan, Shin's 0A arms were never available.

I was wrong when I said I got the replacements at the beginning of 2010, it was 2009 instead.

That blows. Did HLJ charge for VF-1 part replacements? It was to my understanding that they only charged the S&H.

nice pics... although, pics 2 and 6 does highlight a couple of the problems i mentioned, lol. droopy front fuselage remedied by the flightpose stand...

still, one of my favorite canon color schemes in all of Macross. :)

btw, here's chronocidal's post regarding fixing the droopy nose issue - http://www.macrosswo...ndpost&p=860058

Edited by m0n5t3r

I've found that the Mac-Zero line was the most hit-and-miss out of anything Yamato has put out. My original release 0A is fine, I got a re-release 0S that's fine, and my SV-51 Ivanov is an original release yet it's one of the most sturdy toys I own. I think when it came to the original releases it was like a 50/50 chance of getting screwed, but as far as I can tell, all of the re-releases have been fine.