Custom 1/60 Hangar

tundrayeti

And definitely beyond my skill level. I'd say 97% of any model I've built with electronic components never worked (lights, motors, etc.) My Perfect Grade Zaku eye even failed to light. Guess me and electricity don't mix.

TUNDRA - Hey - You should put lights in this custom 1/60 hanger!

Just have it plug in and avoid the batteries thing, you don't want batteries leaking someday all over this masterpiece.

Although some leaked acid could add to the authenticity - "We have a reactor leak here, uh now. Give us a few minutes to lock it down. Uh, large leak, very dangerous"...

Thanks guys, I have been very busy lately, but the Mom's kitchen project is at the 98% completion mark. I have also spent some time on this as well. Have more pics soon. The launch arm is doable, but as I had stated previously, I'm clearing my workload before I take on anything new. Definitely something that's doable, but there are so many factors to take into consideration. At any rate, Thanks for all the feedback and support everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'll try to cast the doorways up before i attach the last one. As for the control room, there has been a lot of interest is this so maybe I'll have some 3d printed and cast those up as well. Dorge, if you want the doors though, i did have to machine those during the machining process. Pm me and we will discuss options. So folks Looks like the doors will be added to the list of options/goodies for my custom hangars. The greebles are also avaliable

Edited by tundrayeti

Always ready to do casting. :D As this was a custom job, I had some of the details 3d printed specifically for this customer. All of the greebles, the light fixtures etc are already casted. The rest of the hangar is CNC machined. I use PVC sheeting for all of my hangar bays. It works out pretty well. The control room/outcropping was also CNC machined. I was going to cnc machine the controls and displays but I'm thinking of printing them out for more detail. This will also allow me to cast them in resin to make them avaliable for everyone.

Always ready to do casting. :D As this was a custom job, I had some of the details 3d printed specifically for this customer. All of the greebles, the light fixtures etc are already casted. The rest of the hangar is CNC machined. I use PVC sheeting for all of my hangar bays. It works out pretty well. The control room/outcropping was also CNC machined. I was going to cnc machine the controls and displays but I'm thinking of printing them out for more detail. This will also allow me to cast them in resin to make them avaliable for everyone.

Resin? Yes please!:)

• 1 month later...

Okay everyone, here is a long overdue update. The owner of this hangar decided to go with a wall plug option vs the battery method. I think that it will work out better in the end. At any rate I had to find a suitable power supply and recalculate some of the resistors and other elecronics to accomidate the new voltage of the power supply. So I got the new design done up, and since there is some extra juice with the wall plug, I decided to add some more effects. Not too much just some lights to the control panel. I have spent the majority of time running wires and adding new electronics. As you can see in the picture, I cut channels in the support boards so that I could run wires in them and glue the wires in place. I have show a pic so you guys can see what I mean. This takes a lot of careful time and planning, hence the lack of updates. Now that the main wires have been run to each of the section they will power, I can start putting some of the finishing touches on this bad boy. I glued the floor lighting and wires in place. also got the UN SPACY kite done. Did a little bit of panel lining as well, I'll clean it up later, or maybe leave it to give that dirty look. Anyway I included some beauty shots. The wires hanging out of the sides will be run through aluminum hobby tubing to add detail, and to power the LED's that will be in the greebles. I'm sure you guys will like the end result. Some of the details are quite small so I had to use 1/32 tubing that I will attach the LED to directly. To prevent any electrical hazard, I am coating these small tubes with the greatest invention ever, Spray on electrical tape. I would say that this baby is at about the 83% complete point. Now that the electronics are close to being done, It will go faster now providing My job keeps me home.

Thanks!

post-7782-0-65485500-1344827200_thumb.jpgpost-7782-0-65321900-1344827351_thumb.jpgpost-7782-0-15153500-1344827460_thumb.jpgpost-7782-0-58374000-1344827550_thumb.jpg

Okay everyone, here is a long overdue update. The owner of this hangar decided to go with a wall plug option vs the battery method. I think that it will work out better in the end. At any rate I had to find a suitable power supply and recalculate some of the resistors and other elecronics to accomidate the new voltage of the power supply. So I got the new design done up, and since there is some extra juice with the wall plug, I decided to add some more effects. Not too much just some lights to the control panel. I have spent the majority of time running wires and adding new electronics. As you can see in the picture, I cut channels in the support boards so that I could run wires in them and glue the wires in place. I have show a pic so you guys can see what I mean. This takes a lot of careful time and planning, hence the lack of updates. Now that the main wires have been run to each of the section they will power, I can start putting some of the finishing touches on this bad boy. I glued the floor lighting and wires in place. also got the UN SPACY kite done. Did a little bit of panel lining as well, I'll clean it up later, or maybe leave it to give that dirty look. Anyway I included some beauty shots. The wires hanging out of the sides will be run through aluminum hobby tubing to add detail, and to power the LED's that will be in the greebles. I'm sure you guys will like the end result. Some of the details are quite small so I had to use 1/32 tubing that I will attach the LED to directly. To prevent any electrical hazard, I am coating these small tubes with the greatest invention ever, Spray on electrical tape. I would say that this baby is at about the 83% complete point. Now that the electronics are close to being done, It will go faster now providing My job keeps me home.

Thanks!

post-7782-0-65485500-1344827200_thumb.jpgpost-7782-0-65321900-1344827351_thumb.jpgpost-7782-0-15153500-1344827460_thumb.jpgpost-7782-0-58374000-1344827550_thumb.jpg

Gorgeous!! I have to save up some cash for this now... :) Hey Yeti, why you're not simply add some rivet holes to make it more realistic? just my opinion..hehe!

Edited by caslon

Gorgeous!! I have to save up some cash for this now... :) Hey Yeti, why you're not simply add some rivet holes to make it more realistic? just my opinion..hehe!

That can be done, all i have to do is incorporate them into the CNC program. the engraving bit does all the work!

I also highly recommend getting one of those rivet tools. I'll post a picture of what I'm talking about later.

Edited by tundrayeti

• 1 month later...

Okay, here is a long overdue update. I have been working on some of the smaller details on this hangar. Lots of small greeblies and piping work. I couldn't get pics of everything, but I have started the control console for the work stations, and also detail work on the doorway.

Enjoy!

post-7782-0-94467700-1347883402_thumb.jpgpost-7782-0-12521600-1347883854_thumb.jpgpost-7782-0-71659000-1347884558_thumb.jpgpost-7782-0-86426500-1347885129_thumb.jpgpost-7782-0-28642700-1347885324_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I am always trying to come up with ways to take things up to the next level. Well I have been mulling over this idea of actually making the control panels light up and do some cool effects. Well Here is what I have come up with.

I have never done this before, but Using my CNC machine, I fabricated a circuit board using double copper coated plain circuit board you can buy at any radio shack. I made the connections using a very tiny .032 inch endmill. The results came out looking pretty good. Here is what it looked like:

post-7782-0-14733300-1349093849_thumb.jpg

Then I soldered SMD LED's to the board and tested them. I will have the tiny flasher chip installed later this week, but as you can see they all work as they should. some will stay lit and some will pulse and flash intermittently. I used the parts from the old control panel to test and see if this will work and it looks good. Once i get a new part made, i will cover the LED's with some tiny graphics that will make this come to life.

post-7782-0-53619000-1349094118_thumb.jpgpost-7782-0-19154200-1349094598_thumb.jpgpost-7782-0-76153700-1349095133_thumb.jpgpost-7782-0-66164300-1349095935_thumb.jpgpost-7782-0-48612000-1349096224_thumb.jpgpost-7782-0-92315400-1349096963_thumb.jpgpost-7782-0-99708700-1349097407_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update. added a microcontroller to the control panel so that it will simulate some activity. I also have some pics of the generator, and the weathered doors. Last pic is of the graphic overlays that will go on top of the LED's to make the screens on the control panel. Let me know what you guys think and enjoy the video.

post-7782-0-04643900-1349915662_thumb.jpgpost-7782-0-47450300-1349915841_thumb.jpgpost-7782-0-66200900-1349916053_thumb.jpgpost-7782-0-34452700-1349917473_thumb.jpg

Edited by tundrayeti

Looking SWEET.

Anything that goes in that hanger will have to be weathered now! A super white TV valk would look so out of place.

Unless there are a few 1/60 guys painting, buffing and polishing it ( ! )

The movie was a great teaser - anxious to see it all together - nice work.

Didn't William Shatner have a great "lights - they're blinking and flashing" quote in Airplane 2 I think?

Someone find that clip!