HG and Robotech Debates, ep. 8

azrael

Shadow Chronicles discontinued? YES! That means in 5 years we'll have the uber director's cut as released by some off the wall distributer that has a new documentary on how the Yune's are pioneering the future of robotech. Even though it will only talk about how to set up a power point presentaiton...

Well, it comes with the territory. At least Macek and Harmony Gold did something worthwhile. Introduce Macross to a bunch of people. Later, some in this bunch of people outgrew the crappy mashup and preferred the originals.

Count me in on that. I can watch the originals and to this day be totally engaged with the series without the robotech edits. I actually prefer them hands down to Robotech's revision.

Shadow Chronicles discontinued? YES! That means in 5 years we'll have the uber director's cut as released by some off the wall distributer that has a new documentary on how the Yune's are pioneering the future of robotech. Even though it will only talk about how to set up a power point presentaiton...

Great...now you're giving them ideas for the 10th Anniversary Edition Blu-Ray which will come out the during it's 12th anniversary.

Edited by ps99042

Well, I was wrong, knowing the distributor for their crap is more important than who is doing the new animation for their crap now.

Honestly, why do you still care? Why does ANYONE still care?

I realize that Robotech is nostalgic, but really...GET OVER IT! It's gone, it's history, it's being preoccupied with 1985...

http://www.heartless-angel.com/AnimeMusicVideos/AzumangaDaioh/AzumangaDaioh02.php

Honestly, why do you still care? Why does ANYONE still care?

I realize that Robotech is nostalgic, but really...GET OVER IT! It's gone, it's history, it's being preoccupied with 1985...

http://www.heartless...angaDaioh02.php

That should be the theme song for rt.com and rtx.com, and for all those that just can't let Robotech go. For my friends whom that would offend, well, you've known my stance on that for awhile. Nostalgia has a way of making people sick if not put in check.

That should be the theme song for rt.com and rtx.com, and for all those that just can't let Robotech go. For my friends whom that would offend, well, you've known my stance on that for awhile. Nostalgia has a way of making people sick if not put in check.

That reminds me of some people at TFW who are the same way about G1. Yes, it was great, but it died in 1992 or so. Just put it to rest and move on.

That reminds me of some people at TFW who are the same way about G1. Yes, it was great, but it died in 1992 or so. Just put it to rest and move on.

There are usually a number in every franchise with some history. The difference, is that TF fans have options, Thundercats fans have options, G.I. Joe fans have options, Voltron fans have options...Robotech fans and the franchise as a whole, is still attempting to live in the same story, timeline, and direction that it left way back in 85-86. They don't have options, which is why such a high majority of them are stuck on the nostalgia fantasy.

Speaking of the nostagic fans, they're already attempting to put the spin on the reason for Funimation discontinuing with Shadow Chronicles. The idiotic reasoning is that somehow, Funimation maybe going under, and probably knew that, or maybe because WB wants the license, and the list is growing. How about this. It's been what 6 f!@#ing years they've had the title, and there's no reason to continue a title that isn't making anymore money? Funimation is releasing tons of titles, and good titles, so it's not that. I'm sure Funimation will survive without the Shadow Chronicles title. If they go under, it's for other reasons, not because of that. Geez, sometimes the simplest, most non-delusional answer is the right one.

It's been what 6 f!@#ing years they've had the title, and there's no reason to continue a title that isn't making anymore money?

Which brings up a good point - the Shadow Chronicles sequel as OFFICIALLY been in development longer than the first movie (or just as long).

So in that case, we can expect the 4th Shadow Chronicles movie in... 2030?

I think it should be pretty clear to everyone now that HG is simply counting on the Mayan prediciton of the world ending this year to get them out of trying to produce original product.

I think it should be pretty clear to everyone now that HG is simply counting on the Mayan prediciton of the world ending this year to get them out of trying to produce original product.

No, you misunderstand.

The Mayans predicted that Shadow Chronicles 2 will hit shelves on 12/21, and the ensuing horror it unleashes will cause the end of everything.

Hey maybe RSC is supposed to be like Gundam Age that takes place over 3 generations. Where Gundam Age is fictional. With RSC to make it more beliveable as it will actually take 3 real generations for the story to be complete.

A nice thought to know that your grand children will be the ones to know how it ends......lol

Hey maybe RSC is supposed to be like Gundam Age that takes place over 3 generations. Where Gundam Age is fictional. With RSC to make it more beliveable as it will actually take 3 real generations for the story to be complete.

A nice thought to know that your grand children will be the ones to know how it ends......lol

I'm pretty sure most of us have accepted that we'll never find out what happens to Admiral Hunter especially with the fact that LLA is the next feature being released by HG despite HG and ALL fans in the past saying they want to find out how the Robotech story CONTINUES. Moreover, with this being the 30th Anniversary of Macross, I'm sure less people even care about Robotech and can support this claim by just looking at the traffic on rt.com and rtx.com. I'm pretty sure our grandkids will care even less.

Still, this is a pretty good theory. I'm just curious what family member could continue this milking of a franchise. Tommy's daughter? Afterall, they wouldn't hire a completely new creative team after the current team retires right?

At some point in the very near future, I expect we'll see McKeever and co. trying to pass the annual PowerPoint presentation itself off as a new Robotech release... or is that already a thing? I've been out of touch with the crazy for so long...

[...] The difference, is that TF fans have options, Thundercats fans have options, G.I. Joe fans have options, Voltron fans have options...Robotech fans and the franchise as a whole, is still attempting to live in the same story, timeline, and direction that it left way back in 85-86. They don't have options, which is why such a high majority of them are stuck on the nostalgia fantasy.

Well, if you really wanted to get technical about it... the Robotech fans DO have options. Kind of. In a sick, twisted, entirely unsound sort of way. It's something I've run into quite often during my time on Palladium's Robotech sub-forum.

Y'see... what Tommy ultimately wants to do is refashion the Robotech story into what he thinks it should've been all along. This, he does because he believes his version of Robotech will be a huge success rather that meeting an unremarkable end the way Carl Macek's did, thus transferring the (wholly undeserved) "visionary creator" plaudits from Carl to him. The problem with this, other than that it could only happen in the Twilight Zone, is that he's trying to recreate the Robotech universe over the frequent objections of the few long-time fans keeping the franchise limping along. So he's stuck in this weird Schrodinger's Cat situation where he's simultaneously trying to pin down a narrowly-defined official continuity AND claim that everything that went before is still good to avoid hacking off the old-timers who don't like his sh*t.

As a result, the more active Robotech old-timers tend to treat the universe as less of a coherent story and more of a big bucket of set pieces and disjointed plot fragments from which they can each weave their own Robotech story.

Speaking of the nostagic fans, they're already attempting to put the spin on the reason for Funimation discontinuing with Shadow Chronicles. [...] Geez, sometimes the simplest, most non-delusional answer is the right one.

Remember, we're talking about a fandom that's been lied to so often, and is so desperate to validate its faith in a dead property, that its constituent fans can no longer tell the difference between reality and the veil of fictions and elaborate moon logic they've woven around Robotech so they don't feel like they're wasting their time.

Still, this is a pretty good theory. I'm just curious what family member could continue this milking of a franchise. Tommy's daughter? Afterall, they wouldn't hire a completely new creative team after the current team retires right?

If they stick with the pattern, once they fire Tommy for being an inept tit who can't make good on his promises... they'll hire an entirely new creative staff and start all over again with another reboot. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

There's still a lot of unlicensed anime out there that they can use if their standards are still so low compared to everyone elses. After all, the franchise's best work came from second hand use of animation no matter what people say. After the fourth or fifth time why stop?

What I meant by those other franchises having options, I meant that within those franchises, the main story has many branches. If you look at Transformers, there's the G1 story, then you have tons and tons of alternate stories, comics, and even the new series on Hub, fans aren't stuck with just one storyline. With Macross, there's SDF, 7, Plus, Frontier, Zero, and II. Gundam has that, plus the alternate universes. What I'm saying is, if you don't like one series, or generation, there's options, along with other current media options. Robotech was "multi-generational" in story, but the core story is on cohesive plot that is still being told. That got tiring 20 years ago. I know people want to know what happened to "Rick Hunter", so how stupid do you think it was to slap fans in the face over? They shoulda wrapped it up, then started work on something totally new, with new characters, new mecha, and a different plot that the same old "earth gets attacked by aliens".

As it stands now, they've lost quite a few fans over stupid decisions. While it's interesting to talk about this stuff, it's interesting how clearer things look when you have no vested interest in the object. It's probably why some of the more accurate assessments are made here. Just some observations.

If Tommy simply wanted to recreate the series in his own image, then he could have taken any given part of the past 12 years and fashioned a completelly new take on the series. Since that hasn't happened, we can assume that isn't his goal either.

The true continuation of Robotech is Robotech III: Not Necessarily The Sentinels and Robotech IV: Khyron's Counterattack (which I still need to get around to putting on DVD one day. I apparently have an early leaked copy).

The true continuation of Robotech is Robotech III: Not Necessarily The Sentinels and Robotech IV: Khyron's Counterattack (which I still need to get around to putting on DVD one day. I apparently have an early leaked copy).

Captain Kravshera, he is a KHYRON

What I meant by those other franchises having options, I meant that within those franchises, the main story has many branches. If you look at Transformers, there's the G1 story, then you have tons and tons of alternate stories, comics, and even the new series on Hub, fans aren't stuck with just one storyline. With Macross, there's SDF, 7, Plus, Frontier, Zero, and II. Gundam has that, plus the alternate universes. What I'm saying is, if you don't like one series, or generation, there's options, along with other current media options. Robotech was "multi-generational" in story, but the core story is on cohesive plot that is still being told. That got tiring 20 years ago. I know people want to know what happened to "Rick Hunter", so how stupid do you think it was to slap fans in the face over? They shoulda wrapped it up, then started work on something totally new, with new characters, new mecha, and a different plot that the same old "earth gets attacked by aliens".

As it stands now, they've lost quite a few fans over stupid decisions. While it's interesting to talk about this stuff, it's interesting how clearer things look when you have no vested interest in the object. It's probably why some of the more accurate assessments are made here. Just some observations.

Didn't they try to do that with Robotech 3000?

We know how that went...

Granted it was only one trailer, and I don't think anybody really knows the direction they wanted to go.

Didn't they try to do that with Robotech 3000?

We know how that went...

Granted it was only one trailer, and I don't think anybody really knows the direction they wanted to go.

They did. There were several problems with that approach. The first was that they set the story a whopping 700 years in the future. The problem with that, is that when you create a spinoff story that's so far detatched from the preceeding series, If creates a disconnect with the fans.

Another problem was that it was done in an outdated CG that was so different from what fans were used to. I think this was one of the main problems as well, but from what I heard, they were pretty adamant about using that style.

Thirdly, the preview only shows these type of escavating veritechs. Who the hell wants to see a show about something like that? Maybe there was more, but if you don't show it in a preview, you're not giving people enough interest to see it.

Last, it was Carl Macek working on it. Now, before you Robotech fans get your panties in a bunch, you're talking about a guy who changed Robotech the Untold Story into the product it was, even if he was told to change some of it, seeing what it was supposed to be isn't any better. His Sentinels story, although the basis of it seems OK, was riddled with minor, small bad ideas that would cloud the overall story. Even still, when the dollar/yen ratio went bad, the product still didn't seem viable enough for the financiers to continue. Macek never really proved himself as a ground up story writer, someone who could take an idea from concept to final product and be successful. From what I've heard, he got better at it later, but that was after HG. Robotech 3000 seemed like another poor idea that only he thought was going to be a blockbuster hit, kinda like what the staff thinks now, except luckily for the RT fans, that never got off the ground.

If the internet was as advanced where everyone could access it on their home computer, phone, tablet, etc. in the 80's as it is now, would people have laughed at Harmony Gold as we do today?

1985 - 1986, it would have all been "Yay! This Robotech series is great!"

1986-1987, it would have been "Okay, Robotech the Movie is coming out / Sentinels is coming out! / Why can't I see Robotech the Movie?? / I saw it, I live in Texas / When's it coming out?? / I'm in South America, I saw it / Okay, Sentinels is still coming out

1988 - 1989, it would have been "Okay, Sentinels was bad / WTF, why did they only have three episodes of Sentinels? / Well, at least we still have a regular amount of comics and novels coming out"

1990 - 1992 , it would have been "Yeah, there's nothing / No, we have the comics!"

1992, it would hav been "Macross II? WTF is that? And why isn't HG involved?"

Edited by Darkwater

They did. There were several problems with that approach. The first was that they set the story a whopping 700 years in the future. The problem with that, is that when you create a spinoff story that's so far detatched from the preceeding series, If creates a disconnect with the fans.

Another problem was that it was done in an outdated CG that was so different from what fans were used to. I think this was one of the main problems as well, but from what I heard, they were pretty adamant about using that style.

Thirdly, the preview only shows these type of escavating veritechs. Who the hell wants to see a show about something like that? Maybe there was more, but if you don't show it in a preview, you're not giving people enough interest to see it.

Last, it was Carl Macek working on it. Now, before you Robotech fans get your panties in a bunch, you're talking about a guy who changed Robotech the Untold Story into the product it was, even if he was told to change some of it, seeing what it was supposed to be isn't any better. His Sentinels story, although the basis of it seems OK, was riddled with minor, small bad ideas that would cloud the overall story. Even still, when the dollar/yen ratio went bad, the product still didn't seem viable enough for the financiers to continue. Macek never really proved himself as a ground up story writer, someone who could take an idea from concept to final product and be successful. From what I've heard, he got better at it later, but that was after HG. Robotech 3000 seemed like another poor idea that only he thought was going to be a blockbuster hit, kinda like what the staff thinks now, except luckily for the RT fans, that never got off the ground.

Oh I agree it was a disaster, but at least they did actually try at one point.

Of course, one could you it as an excuse (I wouldn't) for why they are so gun-shy about doing parallel stories...