HG and Robotech Debates, ep. 8

azrael

This is the closest thing to the complete list of banned mechs I could find. People won't be seeing these mechs in Battletech/Mechwarrior for a while. Guess which ones had something to do with HG.

So thanks Harmony Gold, hope you have something special planned for them in the meantime.

OMG! Someone on 4chan decrypted that "script" for shadow rising, and plugged it into a plausability matrix. Hidden in the files was some production artwork for the next robotech movie!!

post-278-0-32576500-1320128211_thumb.jpg

OMG! Someone on 4chan decrypted that "script" for shadow rising, and plugged it into a plausability matrix. Hidden in the files was some production artwork for the next robotech movie!!

Dude, you'd better delete that pic before HG calls their lawyers and has them shut down MW!

ffa5bb177f1f0fd7.jpg

A.D.2011, CYCLONE VR-052F in Gundum AGE (RGE-B790 Genoace in Gundum AGE

Genesis Climber MOSPEADA (1983)

CYCLONE VR-052F in Gundum AGE

Html tug for paste Your Web-pages or blogs !

<iframe style="background:transparent;" width="390" height="190" frameborder="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" scrolling="no" src="http://embed.fg-site.net/embed.php?id=148859"></iframe>

Edited by yui1107

"ONLINE?" Are they going the MMORPG route now? Colour me disinterested.

I have a erection now. Thank you.

That actually looks pretty cool.

I hope you guys like free-to-play.

The New MechWarrior Game is a PC Exclusive

Despite what the developers say, HG was probably a big factor in the change due to the Unseen legalities.

Edited by Einherjar

it's got Gundam limb titties with inverted polycap nipples.

Yep, why would someone make a Stick figure in ride armor from a gundam, when there's Megahouse, CMs, and Beagle that have already done that. Not only that, but much better. Poor, poor Gundam.

This is the closest thing to the complete list of banned mechs I could find. People won't be seeing these mechs in Battletech/Mechwarrior for a while. Guess which ones had something to do with HG.

So thanks Harmony Gold, hope you have something special planned for them in the meantime.

what about project phoenix? with the new art, the old imagines are still HG. the issue anew was about the Non-Macross Unseen... Reseen

personally i think the folks, who ever, that run BT were retarded epically to even WANT the original images from Non-Macross. Common sence would tell you they are mother &%$ing radioactive. but... they did what they did....Derp. anyway,

back to HG glory humping.

what about project phoenix? with the new art, the old imagines are still HG. the issue anew was about the Non-Macross Unseen... Reseen

All of the mechs mentioned in the Reseen link and mentioned in Project Pheonix have now become Unseen again as of Aug. 22, 2011. It was probably done to prevent further legal actions against the franchise. The video was done in response to current actions by Catalyst Game Labs.

Reseen Mechs, now Unseen again

Edited by Einherjar

I hope you guys like free-to-play.

The New MechWarrior Game is a PC Exclusive

Despite what the developers say, HG was probably a big factor in the change due to the Unseen legalities.

MY erection is now the quite large now... though it is bad that you can get this on console (which is the number one means of making money nowadaze for game makers)

All of the mechs mentioned in the Reseen link and mentioned in Project Pheonix have now become Unseen again as of Aug. 22, 2011. It was probably done to prevent further legal actions against the franchise. The video was done in response to current actions by Catalyst Game Labs.

Reseen Mechs, now Unseen again

i still SEE NOTHING that says Project Phoenix art is affected, only the original art from SFDM and other anime, as well as the art from the original TRO-3055 (becuase the artists were 3rd-party ownership).

i still SEE NOTHING that says Project Phoenix art is affected, only the original art from SFDM and other anime, as well as the art from the original TRO-3055 (becuase the artists were 3rd-party ownership).

I guess they're free to use them still. But honestly, I really can't see them acting on it.

From what I've seen the fandom pretty much universally rejected the Project Phoenix designs.

They're not that great.

Well, if they took the trouble to refine the look a bit like they did with the Atlas here?I've always thought the Atlas was pretty silly looking, but this concept art ver. here looks incredible.

Edited by hulagu

From what I've seen the fandom pretty much universally rejected the Project Phoenix designs.

They're not that great.

I personally thought that they're pretty decent. Even if Mechwarrior Online turns out to be something like World of Tanks(i.e. no single player and only matches) I'd be pretty darn stoked.

Well, if they took the trouble to refine the look a bit like they did with the Atlas here?I've always thought the Atlas was pretty silly looking, but this concept art ver. here looks incredible.

THAT is not silly. *engages flamer* I challenge you. To a DUEL! not really, but i do take offence. that image is iconic for fans of battletech. even the fluff supports the art (ref the 5 tubes on the hip that's supposed to be the LRM-20). i mean, compared to 3060 or a few of the really horrible going into Dorkage designs from TRo-3085, the 3025 Atlas art is a Cadillac.

I have a soft spot for the original 3025 designs.

Not the stolen ones but like the Commando, Centurion, Atlas, and Panther. Anything that actual conforms to the (awful) rules in some way.

Because really how does a Catapult go prone.

stolen? is that your opinion of the legacy of the unseen? <_<

Edited by pensives_wetness

Well when your company oversteps its bounds in using artwork sub licensed from model kits companies

yeah that's kind of stealing. Big West, Studio Nue, and Sunrise certainly were not informed of what was happening.

And yeah a lot of the rules were based on their weird interpretations of the original designs like "lol tubes on Dougram's head are SRM2"

I mean I've had fun with the game but

you don't believe Battletech is a well designed game do you

please say you don't

post-278-0-32576500-1320128211_thumb.jpg

I see the big titted whores are still around. Carefull Keith, before HG sends you a cease and desist letter.

THAT is not silly. *engages flamer* I challenge you. To a DUEL! not really, but i do take offence. that image is iconic for fans of battletech. even the fluff supports the art (ref the 5 tubes on the hip that's supposed to be the LRM-20). i mean, compared to 3060 or a few of the really horrible going into Dorkage designs from TRo-3085, the 3025 Atlas art is a Cadillac.

stolen? is that your opinion of the legacy of the unseen? <_<

you kidding me? EVERYTHING that FASA corp. pulled out of their asses in the 90's, after they stopped ripping off japanese designs, sucked total ass.

it has been proven, time and again, that, on the whole, westerners simply DO NOT know how to design Mecha.

serious mecha design requires a certain mindset, and a certain eye for design. a specific design ethic, if you will.

that very specific design ethic has been repeatedly demonstrated, many, many times, past and present, to be virtually exclusively Japanese in origin.

virtually EVERY time the very few truly competent western Mecha designers out there have ever displayed any true design virtuosity

is when they have either learned their craft via paying careful attention to the ways and means of true japanese Mecha design,

or are simply aping off existing japanese design work wholesale...

Edited by Shaorin

it has been proven, time and again, that, on the whole, westerners simply DO NOT know how to design Mecha.

serious mecha design requires a certain mindset, and a certain eye for design. a specific design ethic, if you will.

The Squiddies in "the Matrix" and some of the battle droids in the prequel series are good examples of aesthetically appealing "mecha".

Nevertheless, I fully agree that there aren't many Westerners who have good eyes for aesthetically appeasing, fictitious robot design with the plausibility of conforming to real-world physics.

The Squiddies in "the Matrix" and some of the battle droids in the prequel series are good examples of aesthetically appealing "mecha".

Nevertheless, I fully agree that there aren't many Westerners who have good eyes for aesthetically appeasing, fictitious robot design with the plausibility of conforming to real-world physics.

Dezalg from Megazone 23 Part II :)

Battletech sucks, Robotech sucks, if HG was smart they'd join forces instead of thretening to sue.

But they already have Palladium Books. :lol:

Ugh... no, the problem with Palladium Books isn't as simple or straightforward as being a creatively and/or ethically bankrupt outfit trying to keep a decades-old bad idea limping along on life support in an industry they don't understand. Based on my experiences with them, Palladium Books isn't a bad company by any means. IMO, their main problem is a mixture of laziness, overestimating their capabilities, and phenomenally bad luck.

you kidding me? EVERYTHING that FASA corp. pulled out of their asses in the 90's, after they stopped ripping off japanese designs, sucked total ass.

QFT.

Odd coincidence, I was actually having a discussion about exactly this with Talos just the other day. I've never been a fan of Battletech and/or Mechwarrior, mostly because the fecking awful mechanical designs put me off the prospect. The designs I remember were uniformly awful. Like the kind of thing a middle school kid with a surfeit of graph paper might draw if he were really bored and short of artistic merit.

Ugh... no, the problem with Palladium Books isn't as simple or straightforward as being a creatively and/or ethically bankrupt outfit trying to keep a decades-old bad idea limping along on life support in an industry they don't understand. Based on my experiences with them, Palladium Books isn't a bad company by any means. IMO, their main problem is a mixture of laziness, overestimating their capabilities, and phenomenally bad luck.

Aren't the Palladium Books their impromptu tech manuals? Cuz they don't have anything else or had anything else to give them specs on their Protoculture happy mechs? It's like Rick Hunter...the fans made Palladium more than it's suppose to be.

Aren't the Palladium Books their impromptu tech manuals? Cuz they don't have anything else or had anything else to give them specs on their Protoculture happy mechs? It's like Rick Hunter...the fans made Palladium more than it's suppose to be.

Kind of... that's how it was back in the 90's, back before there was anything like official information on Robotech. Lots of fans (mistakenly) treated the Robotech RPG as a sort of encyclopedia and technical manual for the series, mainly because back in those days it was pretty much the only publication providing any level of detail about the Robotech setting, characters, mecha, etc. It wasn't until the Robotech fandom went online that they started to get alternatives... the uRRG and, later, the Infopedia.

Nowadays, the "mainstream" fandom doesn't see the Palladium RPG as a valid source of information at all... even though the new books have supposedly been vetted for accuracy by Tommy. Most fans adhere to the popular position that the only stuff that counts in the rebooted Robotech continuity are the "original" series, the Shadow Chronicles movie (and related material), and the Wildstorm comics. They've cottoned onto the uRRG's stance that the RPG is nice, but completely unreliable when it comes to what's what because of all the liberties taken with the material in the name of game balance... if not because of the contradictions that crop up between even the new, vetted version and the official materials published around the same time.