Your absolute favorite Macross toy you own...

drkstar00

For me it's easily the 1/3000 Macross itself. Hands down. No contest. It's my favourite design from the franchise, the movie version specifically, it's huge, detailed it's one of the only two Macross toys I unpacked when I moved into my temporary lodgings last year, it will be the first thing I unpack when I move into my new apartment this weekend.

Second would likely be my 1/48 Hikaru 1A with FAST packs followed by my Gamlin VF-22 or the 1/60 Tomahawk.

I still need to add Bandai's VB-6 to my collection, not to mention the upcoming VF-17 and VF-19 toys from Yamato. Those might push their way up into the top 5.

I wanted to say the exact same thing - albeit not about the 1/60 v.2 but rather Bandai's 1:100 Hi Metal VF-1J. It's superior to the Yamato in every possible way. The sculpt is more anime accurate, the transformation - particularly of the shoulders/arms - is flawless, innovative and far superior to Yamato, and the durability and QC are better too.

The pictures speak for themselves: http://dyrl.pl/detale.html?id=994

Pete

Meh, the 1/100 HI-METAL is very, very nice, considering it's tiny scale, and, in fact,

i've been considering picking one up, for the sake of having a portable, pocket-size variable VF-1

for when i am forced to spend extended periods at my grandma's, due to her far closer proximity

to the OHSU medical university campus where i get the overwhelming majority

of my personal health related business done.

still, the HI-METAL, especially when directly compared to the 1/60v.II, is a series of compromises made

in order to to offer an item at a lower price point, and, ideally, appeal to a section of the fan-base

that might consider the YAMATO offerings above their budget.

AFAIAC, the 1/100 HI-METAL is wildly inferior to the 1/60v.II in far too many ways for comfort.

one of the worst of which being the afterthought, non-functional landing gear.

to my eye, on the whole, the 1/60 is a FAR more accurate rectification of just how a VF-1 would would be engineered

in the real world, if such a technological marvel became possible. that, in itself, speaks volumes for the caliber

of YAMATO's engineering skill, IMO.

consider for a moment; a massive, megalithic corp. like BANDAI, with far, FAR, more engineering resources to bring to bear,

continue, to this very day, to stubbornly insist on giving lip-service, at best, to any project they work with

that doesn't happen to have GUNDAM somewhere in it's title, while a tiny, TINY company like YAMATO, continues, to the very moment,

to break unimaginable barriers, and make the "Impossible" possible in the field of scale replica/"Toy" engineering.

now then; does this sound like a serious case of DAVID and GOLIATH or what?

small wonder at all why the mighty giant canned their "HI-METAL" line,

tucked tail, and ran back to their cozy little GUNDAM Crib...

Edited by Shaorin

I'm going to be the lone guy here and say that my favorite Macross toy is the Doyusha 1/144 YF-21.

I love it when I can line it up like this.

That is pretty cool. I had a question about those: Do the landing gear retract? I'm guessing no but just wanted to make sure. I might pick one up in the HLJ sale.

I don't know why but I still prefer the 1/48 representations of the VF-1 by Yamato over the 1/60 v2.0 despite the latter being heralded as being "more" anime accurate.

I agree. I did actually prefer the 1/60 V2 for a while, but it didn't stand the test of time for me and I reverted to liking the 1/48 the best. While the V2 does look more refined, I prefer the overall build, transformation and size of the 1/48. It's also possible that it's old enough now to poke at my nostalgia button. I still vividly remember how completely breathtaking those first 1/48 photos were when they were posted on this site. It was a moment of, "Can this be a real toy?!" The excitement I felt and the anticipation of getting my hands on the 1/48 hasn't been matched by any other Macross release since. Not even my favorite VF, the upcoming VF-17, fills me with as much wonder - mostly because that level of engineering and beauty in a toy is kind of status quo now for Yamato and is no longer a surprise. Not that I'm complaining, it's a good status quo. :)

That said, my absolute favorite Macross toy is still the old Bandai Joke Machine. It was the first Macross/Robotech toy I had as a kid and still holds up really well when compared to modern toys.

Edited by eriku

I'm curious what you mean by "prefer the overall build" of the v.2's. Personally, when I handle my 1/48's and my 1/60's side by side the 1/48's just feel rougher and less refined than the 1/60's. The alinement and tolerances between parts are better,There's less mold flash, fewer visible casting lines, the cut marks where the parts were removed from the sprews are less visible; Even the plastic they're made of feels of higher quality on the 1/60's. Maybe it' just because I've got late run 1/48's (a VF-1A CF and a VF-1J stealth), but my 1/60's feel like more care was put into their construction.

Mostly in reference to how the parts work during transformation (I feel less likely to break it) - which I guess is more of a matter of engineering than 'overall build'. I agree with you though, the V2 plastic feels of a higher quality.

1 - Overall, I would have to say the 1/48 VF-1J Hikaru Type (my 1st Macross toy), which will always remain THE ICONIC Macross mecha for me and the one I always reminisced about when I thought about Macross.

Know what...I was still wondering which of my valks is the best based on their sculpt, detailing, articulation and such....when I read this post.......

It was Hikaru's VF-1J I saw printed on the box of a junkfood when I was little, which got me hooked on mecha.

It was Hikaru's VF-1J I drew in my exercise books during primary school, which got me into trouble with my class teacher.

It was Hikaru's VF-1J when anyone mention the word 'MACROSS'.

Heck, it was even Hikaru's VF-1J when anyone mention the word 'ROBOTECH' :lol:

Looks awesome in all three modes in that white/red paint scheme.....and that grey goggled battroid looking back at me from my TV set.

Yes....hands down, my Yamato 1/60 VF-1J Hikaru wins that special place in my heart... :wub:

Patientence! All good things come to he who waits :)

Graham

I know but.....I CAN'T wait! AHHH! lol, truth be told, my birthday's coming up, and I'd like confirmation of a v.3 YF-19 or something just as good so that I can save up some money or get family member to save birthday money for a future purchase.